Tomos a35 clutch assembly

Delbert Nuckles /

Does anybody have a diagram or video of reassembling a clutch. I took the spring ring off of the clutch and then it basically fell apart before I could see how it goes together, and I can't seem to find any schematics for it. All I can find is videos on relining the clutch, but not actually a full disassembly/assembly of one.

Re: Tomos a35 clutch assembly

Here is the link to the wiki page with the info you need.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Tomos_A35_clutch_repair

Delbert Nuckles /

Thanks, but that doesn’t show the actual clutch taken apart and put back together, just the removal of clutch and relining the pads.

It's been a while since I had one apart but it's not too complicated. The center hub has a flat side which on the outside with the clutch installed, sit that side on the table so you have the protruding inside of the hub facing up, the spring washer goes over the center and sits on the hub. Then you have the three shoes, with one pin each, the pin , the groove in the shoe for the spring faces up (toward the inside of the clutch). With the three shoes in place you have three half circle flat springs with a square tab on one side and a round tab on the other. Put one inside the spring groove with the square tab through the gap between the shoes, then install the other two, with the long end overlapping the tab end of the previous flat spring. Then set your clutch spring so the area where the ends connect ends up in the center of the shoe and tuck one part of the screw under the round tab and put a clamp there. Work your way around pushing the spring into the groove and put another clamp where you run out of slack. Now carefully use a flat screw driver to work the spring into the rest of the groove and around that last round tab.

Take a look at your other clutch stare at it for 5mins and it should make sense. First has an extra inner round anti vibration spring 2nd does not otherwise they go together pretty much the same.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

3 vice grips and zip ties and a small flathead. Or the factory tool a benchvise and small flathead.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Always take pics before you take apart any part(s) that require disassembly.

Delbert Nuckles /

Thanks for the tips in detail!

Delbert Nuckles /

I typically do, and have learned that the hard way about fifty times more than I should've.

Delbert Nuckles /

So, I got it back together, is this correct? I have the pins (the little barbell things) positioned opposite of the other clutch, but since they’re facing each other I was thinking this is the way they go. Also, notice the one portion of the outer pad surface is broken off, I filed some of the protruding sharp edges, you think it’ll work? The second pic is the one I did not take apart, you can see the barbells are in the opposing holes.

3B090F51-289F-4CAF-BB53-0799AC963300.jpeg
10A11210-9A7A-4686-80EC-7596F66DB65E.jpeg

Waste of time, You need new clutch arms w friction material. Get the dos ones.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah their toast. Get new ones and repad those.

Woah those are really clapped out. The doscycles ones do seem to have the best friction material.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I use weird stuff. Dead animals and future money ie plastic and death ...

All depends on friction material lubricant hardness wearability it is a balance of all like the universe grasshopper or it will be the way of the foot...

You could bond new material to that 2nd gear clutch, but the 1st gear shoes are past fixing. I think the pins should go in the other set of holes for first.

Delbert Nuckles /

Thanks everybody. I got 3/32" rubberized cork from Napa to reline them. I'll reassemble w the pins in the correct holes and see how it goes. I might attempt to add material to the clutch arms w the welder and then shape w grinder. If it doesn't work I'll get a new clutch.

> Delbert Nuckles Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks everybody. I got 3/32" rubberized cork from Napa to reline them.

> I'll reassemble w the pins in the correct holes and see how it goes. I

> might attempt to add material to the clutch arms w the welder and then

> shape w grinder. If it doesn't work I'll get a new clutch.

That wont buy you much time on that thrashed clutch. Then more chunks will break off into your engine. Just save up for a new clutch rather than saving for a bunch of new engine parts from damage after your clutch breaks apart.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Vibram . chromed leather . qbond . jb weld. Filled epoxies.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The flipped pins have seen before it eats at the clutch and reverses the wearside engages quicker on take off but damages the 2nd speed return spring and countershaft when it slams into 2nd.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account