QT50 only runs on aftermarket CDI

Garrett Jackson /

I have a QT that will only run on the cheap blue CDI in the picture. I can take a stock CDI off my other running QT and it won't start. Any idea what's the problem?

Screenshot_20210329-193705.png

Re: QT50 only runs on aftermarket CDI

Are you sure that the wiring is the same?

Do you have spark with the stock CDI on this bike?

Are both the same year...some have start run feature on the ignition and some don't..

Garrett Jackson /

Both are 79s, so there's not a start/run feature. The wiring is the same on both bikes - they are identical except that one has an aftermarket coil and the other has the stock coil. It seems that the blue aftermarket CDI produces a much stronger spark on the bike, but the stock CDI does produce spark. And as I mentioned, the same stock CDI runs the other bike perfectly. Just to reiterate - I can take a stock CDI from a running QT50, put it on another QT50 and that bike won't run, but that bike will run on the blue aftermarket CDI in the picture.

Not sure it would make a difference so just trying to eliminate things and as you know strange things can happen..do you have the same plugs in both ?..try switching the plug also ..maybe one resistor and the other.not? Or plug cap ? (edited)

Just curious, will the aftermarket cdi run on the bike that you took the stock cdi from?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account