Gas and water???

Mark Younggren /

Evoporusted the tank washed with water and air compressed all water out. Hang it up sideways for a few hours. Third time doing this and never had a issue.

Filled with gas, drained and filled with gas again and drained. I seem to still have some separation. Water possiblely sinking to bottom after three gallons of gas passed threw? It will run clean for a while but once I stop Petcock and start in a few hours the separation happens.

Thoughts......?

D8C0D556-2802-4B99-A323-0E0C90C6FA52.jpeg
7965DE10-6E89-4CBD-9307-6F4746783376.jpeg

Re: Gas and water???

Looks like ethanol thats in gas now.

Mark Younggren /

Interesting so a summer blend gas that has more ethanol then usual....

What oil are you running and at which ratio ?

After 3 tanks, it can't be water. I mean, I've flushed tanks and had a tiny bit of water left in them, and it just goes through the system with no problem.

Evaporust can leave a film, I use dawn dish soap and water to rinse my tanks, fill it up, shake it around, dump it, add just water, shake, dump, then stick the hose in the tank and run it till it's flowing out clear, no more soap.

But even if there was a bit left, after three tanks itll be clean

Dirty30 Dillon /

Bare metal is porous and will hold water, even after air compressor blow-out.

And even with ethanol bonding to the water on the walls, it will be tenacious, which is why they suggest using denatured alcohol which much more aggressively pulls water.

Siphon off some of that bottom layer and see if it holds a flame.

That’ll let you know if it’s water or some other weirdness.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Siphon off some of that bottom layer and see if it holds a flame.

>

> That’ll let you know if it’s water or some other weirdness.

Or just taste it, that's probably faster

I've done the same thing you are doing except my last step is to pour in a pint of denatured alcohol for the last rinse.

Mark Younggren /

40:1 Lucas

It burns. Bubbles alittle at the end but burns dry. Definitely coming from the tank as the gas is clean bluefish with oil mixture before I pour into the tank.

Im skeptical of your gas also

My god please don't tell me you have discovered some form of gasoline that doesn't mix with two stroke oil. Not that I would be completely surprised what with the cracker jack engineers running the petroleum industry these days.. (edited)

but seriously you probably have a nice big chunk of fossilized gas stuck in there and the fresh gas is just slowly dissolving it.

Mark Younggren /

Could be some fossilized gas but wouldn’t the evapo rust break that down after a day or so?

Very possibly not. I can virtually guarantee that is what is going on. stick a heavy wire or something flexible down to the bottom of the tank and it will probably come out with a nice glob of goo on the end (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account