Rod Reaming Who’s done it?

todd amundson /

I’m trying to ream out a V1 rod end to 15mm for a roller bearing. When I try, the new reamers just bind up in there. I only need to remove a tiny bit but no matter how much lubricant I use or tool speed it just gets squeezed to death. Anyone done this with success? Or is the rod way to hard for this application?

0FA474B4-954E-46D6-A8B8-4AF5182F1CAA.jpeg
46473DA6-089F-47C5-9EAA-6AD7A226A761.jpeg
DD2AADC5-312C-4D57-80A8-BBE6B977F242.jpeg

Re: Rod Reaming Who’s done it?

I did it with a cheapo reamer.

Mine was adjustable so I did it in extremely small increments and it went ok. Not that helpful I know.

I've reamed new Puch brass bushings but never the rod itself. Used a cheapo stepped reamer for rc airplane propellers.lol

That rod end is definitely hard and reamers ain’t cheap.

If you succeed in reaming, I think the surface would need to be hardened for the bearings. And the small end is a tiny bit thinner/weaker.

I like to see any and all experimenting. But, I wonder if you would be better off (price and performance) just pressing in a roller bearing rod?

My dad had it done 15÷ years ago, but the prostate cancer finally caught up with him and he passed away about 5 years ago.

todd amundson /

So I only used the reamer as a measuring device. I used a set of metric center punches, wrapped in 180 paper. I could only do a single wrap making sure not to go over the seem caused by the paper overlapping itself. I used two different size arbors/punches and slowly spun them to open the bore. It took ten seconds. Bearing fits great.

9ED6A3C5-7D79-4B05-B15A-9E145EADC242.jpeg

We’ll see what happens

Nice. Probably as good as slamming a reamer in there would be without the centering jig

Does one of these go in that rod end you finished with 180 grit sandpaper?

hot-rods-needle-bearings-kawasaki-kx60-kx65-suzuki-rm65.jpg

Socket and Emery cloth worked excellent when nothing else does. Did that to my moby cuz the rod was insanely tight, and to press the pin thru the bearing. Afterwards it was nice and smooth and fit so much better

todd amundson /

Yes removed brass bushing and enlarged it for a roller bearing.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account