Puch Maxi Seized??

I recently bought some type of Puch Maxi from my neighbor. I am not sure exactly which one, but I know it is 1.5HP and before the 80s. All I had to do to get it running was clean the carb and and replace the petcock, fuel line, fuel filter, and float needle. A few times when I went to kick start it it wouldn't budge. To fix it I opened it up and manually twisted the flywheel (I think that's what it's called). Then today it happened again but I was unable to turn the flywheel manually. There was no noise when running and it ran perfectly, but seized up after sitting for less than an hour. I am not running lean and only rode for about 15 mins so I doubt that it is overheating. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Puch Maxi Seized??

roots to wings /

Do you have any atf fluid in it? Did yiu read and follow the relevant steps in Fred’s guide? Post a video so we can better understand what is happening

If it's a 2-stroke engine one must have oil in the oil tank or oil mixed in with the fuel.

Is there a fluid besides just oil in the gas mixture that it needs? Would the transmission fluid effect this?

Also what is Fred’s guide?

> Ben Brune Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Also what is Fred’s guide?

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred's_Guide

So it seized while it was sitting? Strange indeed. Anyways your cylinder head comes off with four bolts, post picts of bore.

roots to wings /

I’ll take what is Google Alex for $10,000”

It won’t let me post a video. But when I take off the cover that says puch on it that has a big wheel on the inside. The wheel does not spin. I put some wd40 in the spark plug hole to see if it loosens it up but nothing yet.

> Ben Brune Wrote:

> It won’t let me post a video. But when I take off the cover that says

> puch on it that has a big wheel on the inside. The wheel does not spin.

> I put some wd40 in the spark plug hole to see if it loosens it up but

> nothing yet.

Post a picture of the thing please. For all we know you have the 2 speed ZA50 and your shift pucks are gone and now your transmission is destroyed.

Here are some pictures

3A6F7613-264E-4B65-B456-4DD729DF3B85.jpeg
29132327-51CD-4264-81F4-CF1E8BA85CF8.jpeg

Okay, at least we have a picture, now show the other side. Like Nick said, helps a ton knowing which engine it is. Don't think a lot of bikes like your model had ZA50 2-speeds but it's possible. We'll assume it's an E50, one speed, so your problem could come from two sources--the engine itself or the drive train--make sure both are well lubed and try again. That means squirting a few cc's of 2-cycle oil down the spark plug hole, and changing out whatever is in the transmission pretending to be ATF type F. Turn the engine over a few times with the spark plug out. Also make sure to use a 40:1 premix for fuel just in case. Try some stuff and let us know what you find

Post a pic of the business end of the spark plug .

And , can you turn the flywheel by hand ?

That side you showed us was not the clutch side of the bike at all. So if this is the side you are having issues with then it is not a clutch issue. This is your electronics side.

I cannot turn the flywheel by hand

You're turning it counter clockwise, right?

It's an e50. You can tell just by looking at how the carb bowl fits into the top of the cases, but other clues are that the frame is e50 (no HT coil mount on the left side) and the gearing is stock e50.

It shouldn't matter which way he's spinning the flywheel by hand to check if it's stuck, it should still spin.

Does the rear wheel spin? If so all signs point to a seized/stuck piston or less likely immobilized conrod. Just pop the cylinder off and take a look. (edited)

The rear wheel does spin because I can ride it by pedaling it normally. It’s weird to me that it has done it multiple times. How could I prevent this in the future? I will send a pic of the piston when I get to it.

Yeah like the other guys stated take a pic of the inside of the bore with the head off so we can all see what the insides look like. I'd be willing to bet you seized the piston and the piston rings you fried would be melted/broken on the piston plus deep score marks/gouges along the sides of the piston and cylinder wall

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Ben Brune Wrote:

> How could I prevent this in the future?

You can rebuild the motor with new seals, do a leak down test to insure there is no pressure lost. Chances are you have an airleak that's seizing the motor. And/or you aren't putting 2t oil in the gas, or at least not enough.

roots to wings /

Agree with above. Time to remove the head and take a look. Free with 2t, but if yiu seized while running yiu likely have piston/rink/crank issues. Is there any tranny fluid in it?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account