Honda CA100 Restoration and/or Restomod?

Picked up this CA100 in Bellingham and will be getting it into running condition before delving deeper into the restorative process. I am also considering swapping some newer components in to keep up better with traffic. Looking for a few opinions and affirmations about the below.

The paint and chrome is riddled with rust spots and pockmarks which I have done my best to buff out. Is it worth fine buffing and touch up painting with the same paint code or just wax and leave as is?

Kickstart spindle is sheared, NOS on order. Before delving into the engine, can I push start this bike? I'll clean up the carb and I've got a new plug/oil to put in before my first attempt.

I'd love to retain the original parts, but a few sensible upgrades wouldn't be off the table as long as I can easily revert everything back to stock.

20210403_175144.jpg
20210403_122643.jpg

Re: Honda CA100 Restoration and/or Restomod?

wow great score! the white ones seem to be much less common but maybe thats me.

You can totally just pushstart it. My kickstart wasnt broken and I still found it easier to just push start most of the time. in fact always, I almost never used the kickstart.

I can't comment at all on the paint, I've never worried about it - that's entirely personal preference but I much prefer not going much beyond a wipedown.

the other easy thing to do at this point is gap the valves, it's ridiculously easy, there's a cap for each, just need a 9mm wrench and something (even a small adjustable wrench) to turn the tappets and of course the feeler guages but it's easy and pretty likely to be worth doing. I'd also clean and gap the ignition points

good luck! cool bike

if you wanna get more power out of it id suggest engine swapping it to a pit bike style 125 or even a 150.

should require little to no modification to do (possibly some very light sanding to make the bigger motor clear), you gain 1-2 more gears and a lot more displacement, also a real mans clutch!

I swapped a 125 in my 1968 mini trail 50 and it hauled!

but take some measurements of the old motor and see if its the same as those pit bike motors, should be. (edited)

Lifans don't swap into these frames. The cases are totally different.

That being said, these bikes are super fun. Throw a new condenser in it, clean everything, set timing, lube the points, gap the valves, and ride the piss out of it.

I believe the white ones were the first to come into the US. That is at-least what I heard.

The engine got a teardown today. No way would this have kickstarted.

Engine was gummed up with RTV on severely smashed gaskets on overtorqued everything. Even a pushrod is bent (slightly).

Someone with a lack of tools, knowledge and has has been in here. 75% of the engine case bolts required and extractor for being torqued and stripped. Even with my trusty JIS drivers connected to a vise grip for extra leverage and a blow torch only four engine case bolts were spared.

Clutch bolts were f***ed from someone not using the right tool. Thankfully I got through it as I planned for the worst and have the right tools!

Cut new gaskets with felpro 0.8mm which is a bit thicker but with a bit of light sanding should be fine.

I think I'll do my best to polish and get this little motor running as pristine as possible first. I purchased some new wheel bearings, head bearings to make the ride smooth. Potentially will change the airbox and tune the carb, nothing that can't be easily reverted to stock.

I have a CT90 frame upstairs that is getting the electric treatment with a Shanghai Customs kit and am curious to see how it fares against the stock CA100. Here's a couple photos from today.

Screenshot_20210415-212156_Video Player.jpg
20210415_141242.jpg
20210415_173457.jpg

Was thinking about the lights which are pretty terrible. Has anyone attempted to go to 6V LEDs? These look like they could work. The base looks similar. Maybe just a quick swap?

6v LED Headlight bulb

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account