Honda Express NC50 Transmission Case Diagnosis

Hello,

I have a 1978 Honda Express that I am trying to get going. I bought it from someone who converted it to kick-start and had it working for a while and then stopped working. My plan is to remove the kick-start converted motor/trans and swap in a good used replacement.

I took it to a reputable motorcycle repair friend of mine and he gave me a spare NC50 motor to use that he thought just had a broken spring. So I took the spare motor he gave me and bought a new transmission case from someone here that had a good spring. However, after opening the spare motor my friend gave me, the spring condition looks identical to the new transmission case that I was sold to swap in. So either the new case I bought also has a broken spring, or the spare motor I was given has a good spring.

Can you guys please take a look at the two transmission cases below and the inside of the spare motor transmission to see if everything looks good? i.e. nothing is out of place or visibly damaged. Both transmission cases have tension when applying force through the wind mechanism so I think the spring on the spare motor is good as well so something else must have been stopping it from starting.

Thank you for the help!

23EF3FBB-7BAC-4BA2-AAC8-4035F4383AD9.jpeg
878425F7-49F4-4FA3-9FDE-C5B2A2CB75DC.jpeg
40906AD1-18F3-41CF-B293-D3E1E6558B62.jpeg

Re: Honda Express NC50 Transmission Case Diagnosis

Above are the pics of the spare motor transmission cover with what I believe to be a good spring.

Below are pics of the spare transmission cover I purchased with a good spring.

97D64AAA-BD70-4582-BC8A-9BFC2E82828D.jpeg
6B1C78F2-8D82-4937-8762-38A5662FA8EC.jpeg
797753E8-C6A8-4D1C-954F-B2BC9536D32A_1_201_a.jpeg

Here are some more pics of the spare motor transmission cover. Notice how the teeth in the gear are misaligned compared to the one I purchased? Is this an issue? Also, does the spring still look good? I couldn't find any breaks in either spring. It has the exact same amount of tension as the spring in the trans cover I purchased.

2528A701-FC25-4821-841B-DB0740FD37EB_1_201_a.jpeg
81DA077C-33F1-46C8-ADD0-59F1D09A2A55.jpeg

Both springs have tension and are NOT broken. You will need the service manual and the parts diagram to assemble correctly. There are a couple of parts not mentioned in service manual that appear in parts diagram. Replace the seals while apart.

Thanks for the reply! It's good to know that the springs aren't broken on either cover. I guess I can sell the other trans cover now.

For reassembly, do you have any other recommendations on what to use as a diagram or video because I do not have the service manual unfortunately.

Jason Majernik /

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Express/Honda%20Shop%20Manual%20for%20NC50-NA50.pdf

You need to get that kick return spring on that’s laying next to the cover in the first picture. Follow the manual for installation. You have to crank the arm a couple of notches the keep that spring in place during installation per the manual. Trust me, it’s important.

Personally, I’d keep the spare cover in case your starter spring ever breaks, but you should do what you want.

> Jason Majernik Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> http://www.jax184.com/projects/Express/Honda%20Shop%20Manual%20for%20NC50-NA50.pdf

>

> You need to get that kick return spring on that’s laying next to the

> cover in the first picture. Follow the manual for installation. You have

> to crank the arm a couple of notches the keep that spring in place

> during installation per the manual. Trust me, it’s important.

>

> Personally, I’d keep the spare cover in case your starter spring ever

> breaks, but you should do what you want.

Yes, if keeping the ped then keep the spare cover. I got mine going after finding a used cover with good spring. About 2000 miles later I was changing the cover and spring again.

> Jason Majernik Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> http://www.jax184.com/projects/Express/Honda%20Shop%20Manual%20for%20NC50-NA50.pdf

>

> You need to get that kick return spring on that’s laying next to the

> cover in the first picture. Follow the manual for installation. You have

> to crank the arm a couple of notches the keep that spring in place

> during installation per the manual. Trust me, it’s important.

>

> Personally, I’d keep the spare cover in case your starter spring ever

> breaks, but you should do what you want.

Ok great, will do. Thank you for the link as well. This is very helpful. Hopefully I can get this thing back together and swap it onto the ped before summer is here!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account