Purpose of the starter bar on a Columbia

Bruce Linafelter /

My second post and question. With help from several, the motor is now running.

We are trying to bring a 1979 Columbia back to life. With the motor running, we are in reassembly. Having trouble understanding the purpose of the L shaped metal bracket inside the starting clutch side of the Sachs 505. All the cables were trash. Found the end of a cable inside the starting clutch housing. In the diagrams we have found, there is a starting lever on the left side of the handle bar near the left brake lever. A diagram we have shows this cable going into the starting clutch housing like it should pull this L shaped bracket towards the belt pulley. There is a slot on the end of the bracket that looks like it would be for a cable ending and a hole on the inside of housing for a cable to pass through.

I am just trying to learn about how these machines function. I would appreciate a little tutorial or a web address that explains how this all works in the starting process. We have cleaned up the slip clutch and it is moving freely. I understand that when the rpms increase, the pulley separates allowing the belt to disengage. I just don't understand the purpose of this bracket at the end of the starter cable.

Thanks again in advance for teaching me about this fascinating world.

PS. What is a good source for new cables?

Re: Purpose of the starter bar on a Columbia

I'm confused as to what belt you're talking about; there aren't any belts on any sachs moped motors. Like what are you talking about when you say belt pulley?

Treatland.tv is your best bet for parts, followed by doscycles.com

The bracket you must be talking about should be where the clutch ( starter cable) connects ...you have a bolt that goes from the top of the motor toward the bottom that holds it in place ..it also has a spring for tention..

Bruce Linafelter /

This is what I am guessing how this system works. The belt attaches at the motor via a clutch pulley system. The sides of the pulley expands with higher rpms to disengage once the motor starts. The pulley is attached to the crankshaft on the end opposite the flywheel. The other end of the belt is attached to a pulley wheel attached to the pedals. I have assumed this is a Sachs Motor but have also read that Solo motors were used on Columbia mopeds. Maybe that is what I have. I am just trying to learn here.

Bruce Linafelter /

Thanks for your reply and helping me to learn!

The bracket mounts from the top of the clutch housing. When the cable is engaged, it forces the bracket against the clutch housing to keep it from expanding during starting. This would allow the belt to prematurely slip. If you enlarge the pic you can see the hole on the backside of the clutch housing where the cable comes through.

The bracket is fairly stiff so I was concerned that it would take considerable effort to move it, I guess I will find that out when I have new cables.

tempImageLTsWFu.jpg

Post a pic of the whole bike..i don't see that being a columbia i'm familiar with. .what motor is on it.?

Bruce Linafelter /

Thanks for your reply.

I thought it was a Sachs but in looking at it, it doesn't say Sachs anywhere. As I understand it, Columbia also used Solo motors. The mag set up is Bosch. Who knows what may have been replaced over the past 42 years? I know that finding info on them is difficult. This has a tube frame. Someone has filed off the serial numbers for whatever reason. I would be interested in knowing how many were produced and other info. Myrons has a few pictures of Columbias, but other than that, not much out there.

tempImageeC8t0e.jpg
tempImagef1JYqT.jpg
tempImagew5mvBH.jpg

That's the solo motor for sure. You've got the starter clutch figured out, the lever should press on the little nub in the center.

Yeah that's a Columbia Open Road, which came with the Solo motor, not a Sachs motor.

The cable pulls that starter bar into the clutch, pushing the clutch plates together to ensure the belt is driving the engine directly.

Bruce Linafelter /

Thanks for your information. As I said earlier, that bar seems too stout to be (temporarily) pulled toward the clutch pulley for starting. It must work. We are reassembling and will find out when we have new cables in place.

> Bruce Linafelter Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for your information. As I said earlier, that bar seems too stout

> to be (temporarily) pulled toward the clutch pulley for starting. It

> must work. We are reassembling and will find out when we have new cables

> in place.

You ever try stopping a spinning wheel by turning a drum brake actuator arm by hand instead of using a cable? Mechanical advantage is baller. You're worried about a non-issue.

The leverage will pull it no problem. Those can wear out pretty quickly if you have a Temperamental bike. The pressure on the nub tends to grind it into a flat spot and the bar could slip off instead of holding it tight.

The solo engine is a bit of an oddball, but is a decent little runner.

You are not going to break the lever.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

The lever won't break, but sometimes you have to get that screw really tight, to keep the cable from slipping. They are really hard to start on the stand. I peddled the bike (off the stand) until I had some speed, and then hit the lever hard and fast. The slightest downhill really helps.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account