Tips on homemade gasket

Rowan Vannier /

My intake gasket started leaking, so I tried making some intake gaskets out of the gasket paper from treats. I made a decent one and slapped it on for it to only work for about 30 minutes of riding. Anyone got any tips on how to make the perfect homemade gasket?

Re: Tips on homemade gasket

I use rubberized gasket paper I bought at NAPA .

An Exacto knife and a standard hole punch make for excellent gaskets .

Overpriced Parts /

> Rowan Vannier Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> My intake gasket started leaking, so I tried making some intake gaskets

> out of the gasket paper from treats. I made a decent one and slapped it

> on for it to only work for about 30 minutes of riding. Anyone got any

> tips on how to make the perfect homemade gasket?

Yeah cut it correctly take a paper punch and punch the holes correctly!

wow it’s only first or second grade art/craft skills are needed“

How old are you?

Rowan Vannier /

yeah havent made it to first grade yet. my bad :(

I use garbage cracker boxes with a lil motoseal and you’re good forever

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> I use garbage cracker boxes with a lil motoseal and you’re good forever

Cereal boxes work real good , too .

Dirty30 Dillon /

You say it only worked for 30 minutes... how did it fail?

Rowan Vannier /

The bike would idle really high and start to accelerate (at idle). It started to fail when it would start without the choke and only run for about 5 seconds before sputtering. Now it does not start.

Do you know for a fact that it was the gasket that failed? You pulled off the cyl and saw that it had torn or leaked put at some place?

The treatland paper is fine to use, but thin cereal box paper does work well in future needs.

As far as your question on process.

I like to use scissors to cut the outside shape, then use a punch on the student holes. I use an exacto to cut out the center area for the cylinder, and place the gasket on my cylinder at this point to use the exacto to carve out the transfer area so that it is exact to the cylinder.

Same process goes for the intake gasket.

You cant make exhaust gaskets yourself. You need some serious press/punch stuff because they have to be metal lined. I got some exhaust gasket material and the size snips you need to use to cut the stuff doesnt work for small cuts so the center and stud hols were impossible to do. And a paper punch doesnt go thru metal.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

>

> You cant make exhaust gaskets yourself. You need some serious

> press/punch stuff because they have to be metal lined. I got some

> exhaust gasket material and the size snips you need to use to cut the

> stuff doesnt work for small cuts so the center and stud hols were

> impossible to do. And a paper punch doesnt go thru metal.

Depending on the type of seal needed , you can use fiberglass rope as an exhaust seal . It's tricky to work with , but , can be done .

Exhaust gaskets DO NOT need to be metal lined.

If you have a flat pipe exhaust flange, any cardboard gasket will work. The problem comes when people run those stupid thick center metal ring exh gaskets then overtighten the exh bolts. It curls the ends of the pipe flange in and then the flange has to be straightened every time you change the gasket. Better to bolt a flat thing onto a flat thing, where the gasket won’t allow you overtighten the ends. The cardboard cannot blow out if it’s clamped evenly and tightly across the manifold.

If I had a dollar for every header leak I saw from curled in exh bolt contact on the flange I’d be a capitalist oligarch

Jbot. Just sell me all the crush exhaust gaskets and you will make a mint. I just like the way they squish on, kind of a tactile sensory thing, and I'm willing to bet my flanges are straight still. But imma keep running the crush gaskets so the world may never know. Ha!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account