Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

You claim its not your ped so it's not really your problem or fault. Just tell the owner to buy another wheel already and move on. (edited)

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Terbo Speghetti /

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You claim its not your ped so it's not really your problem or fault.

> Just tell the owner to buy another wheel already and move on.

Lol I "claim" it's not mine, but that doesn't mean it's not a friend's that I wanna do a good job for.

You just LOVE giving up

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Terbo Speghetti /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > No, completely different tools actually. Stones are for grinding.

> Lathes

>

> > use CUTTING tools. And just *make* a lathe with a 17" swing, easy

> peasy.

>

> >

>

> You're just being difficult .

>

> Stones have to cut , in order to get the grinding done .

>

> Cutting tools are simply grinders at a finer level .

No, they aren't "simply" anything like that. A cutting tool has a single point of contact or edge. A grinding stone, in order to accomplish this task, would need to be kept perfectly square and progressively moved toward the outer edge of the drum. But that's just another thing to add to the machine tool I'm just gonna snap my fingers and *create* so I guess no big deal, huh?

One last point, have you ever tried to remove material with 1000 grit sandpaper? It takes a fucking ETERNITY. So a "cutter at a finer level" would STILL be the wrong tool even if it was perfect in every other way.

Don't assert knowledge you don't have.

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Get a true used one.

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Get a true used one and quit trying to polish a turd.

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> Don't assert knowledge you don't have.

Come on man, you've got to expect PD to come along and dump a pile of irrelevant bullshit on any thread where someone asks an actual question.

I don't have a good answer to your brake drum issue. There are certainly lathes big enough to do a puch snowflake rim, but they're not common.

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Shots fired

I think PD is a voice of reason more often than not. And helpful.

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

> Brian F Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

Seems both of you are real good at being better than anyone else .

I'll leave you to your own demise .

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Best thing you could do with that wheel is man up and...

download-510x345-1.png

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Old borebar. Benchvise. A sliding clamp and said axis...

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Man if you were out East I could do it. have a 25" gap bed and a brake lathe - you said you were tapping bike and machine shops, but try a hotrod shop or old car club. a brake lathe should be able to sneak in there.

At least those machines are so underused that there is a better chance of finding one to make the tool holder work (in case the drum is too small for the standard holder) vs any machine shop with a big lathe won't waste their time - as you said.

If i had to junkyard wars it, it would look like this: leadscrew is axle diameter, fine pitch, tool holder should be wide to resist racking on leadscrew. lead screw has to be supported somehow, preferably on both ends and has to spin freely (think pillow blocks - or other wheels secured to something). sharp sharp cutter will make or break efficacy. youd have to pay attention to depth of cut, a few thousandths at a time and feed slow.

basically how a brake lathe works, but the tool holder is mounted on the spindle, and uses the bearings. so you have some float in the bearings, compared to being able to knock them out and center the hub on tapers on the spindle.

lathe.png

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > pat splat Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Get a true used one and quit trying to polish a turd.

X1,000,000

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Terbo Speghetti /

> jumpsuit steve Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Man if you were out East I could do it. have a 25" gap bed and a brake

> lathe - you said you were tapping bike and machine shops, but try a

> hotrod shop or old car club. a brake lathe should be able to sneak in

> there.

>

> At least those machines are so underused that there is a better chance

> of finding one to make the tool holder work (in case the drum is too

> small for the standard holder) vs any machine shop with a big lathe

> won't waste their time - as you said.

>

> If i had to junkyard wars it, it would look like this: leadscrew is axle

> diameter, fine pitch, tool holder should be wide to resist racking on

> leadscrew. lead screw has to be supported somehow, preferably on both

> ends and has to spin freely (think pillow blocks - or other wheels

> secured to something). sharp sharp cutter will make or break efficacy.

> youd have to pay attention to depth of cut, a few thousandths at a time

> and feed slow.

>

> basically how a brake lathe works, but the tool holder is mounted on the

> spindle, and uses the bearings. so you have some float in the bearings,

> compared to being able to knock them out and center the hub on tapers on

> the spindle.

> >

Well I'm glad someone gets it finally. I'll check out hot rod shops tomorrow, thanks for the tips!

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Terbo Speghetti /

> Satan 666 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > pat splat Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Get a true used one and quit trying to polish a turd.

>

> X1,000,000

You guys are the reason parts are hard to find.

This is the pinnacle of lazy and wasteful. Just fuckin learn something for once and you can have lots of nice things that you thought were trash.

I'm so disappointed in moped people. I thought we were a different kind, but nope. "If it breaks just throw it away and get a new one" is the most poseur bullshit a moped person could utter.

Be better.

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

I somewhat agree with you, as far as "fix it, don't trash it."

But when you're looking at something that's not cost effective, very labor intensive, near impossible to have done (and done right,) with a long turn-around time, and, something you can't do yourself, it's not worth it.

Especially if replacements are easy and cheap to find. It's not like it's some rare, obscure part that you have to search for months to find.

You're basically just spending a lot of time and money to fix some other guy's fuck up, instead of going the easier and cheaper route that everyone's suggesting.

So I think you deserve to get a bit of lighthearted shit talk thrown your way.

Now, if you were to make your own set up and offer brake drum resurfacing to the masses, or came up with a DIY solution, that would be an achievement worthy of praise. Just finding someone else to do something you can't isn't exactly cause to berate the whole moped community. (edited)

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Terbo Speghetti /

Of course I'm right that people shouldn't be throwing serviceable stuff in the trash, especially rare shit like mag wheels.

I'm not sure where you buy wheels, but it's not cheaper to get a set of fresh snowflakes (that probably have the same problem)

And I didn't "berate the whole community" at all. This is my thread, and people are posting things that I've already rejected as options just because they wanna be right about something.

And the purpose of the thread was to solicit ideas to achieve a solution to the problem.

My issue is with dummies that repeat the same, already rejected ideas because they can't accept that they might have the wrong take on something.

You really think "buy a new one" is valid advice that any person with two brain cells wouldn't have come to independently? What value is there in answering a question that didn't get asked?

Find another thread please, you're not helping anyone do anything here.

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

If you are calling shitty puch snowflake mags rare then you are the dummie. I have always hated the mags as they never stop worth a shit. I would take a nice set of steel hubbed spoke rims and day over mags. They made millions of snowflake mags so not so rare. If you were to find someone to machine your rare mags it would cost more to do so than it would cost to buy a nice used one.

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Depends tho.

I could hobble together a jig and use a stationary spring loaded sanding block and a chunk o wood.

Cheaper than a set of mags.

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> You guys are the reason parts are hard to find.

>

> This is the pinnacle of lazy and wasteful. Just fuckin learn something

> for once and you can have lots of nice things that you thought were

> trash.

>

> I'm so disappointed in moped people. I thought we were a different kind,

> but nope. "If it breaks just throw it away and get a new one" is the

> most poseur bullshit a moped person could utter.

>

> Be better.

Pretty much berated the whole moped community right here..

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Any business with any god damn sense realizes that garbage wheel is a fucking liability and thus wont touch it. It's a $50 wheel and will cost you much more in the long run trying to make it work.

Read again moron. I said nothing of throwing it away. REPURPOSE it before it kills someone.

moped-army-68857a7f2d5bcbe10ad9e9353fcf6b9e.png

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Being lectured by spaghetti is pretty fucking rich

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Terbo Speghetti /

Finally got a place to do it! Cost me free.99 so anyone who said it would be cheaper or easier to get new wheels can suck it

20210510_124602.jpg

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

I love that it's rattle-canned black too

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Terbo Speghetti /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Being lectured by spaghetti is pretty fucking rich

Say what you like, I was right about this. And now the bike stops great and I feel good about giving it back to my friend without costing them the $150+ a new set of wheels would have been

Sure, I went a little overboard but you of all people don't have much room to talk about snapping at people on this forum. (edited)

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Go away

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

So how much did it cost?

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Terbo Speghetti /

Nothing. Dude wouldn't even take the twenty I tried to slip him

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

$20???? tight ass!

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Terbo Speghetti /

I dunno man, I came with a debit card, it's 2021! Haha.

I kinda agree, that was less than I should have offered

Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I dunno man, I came with a debit card, it's 2021! Haha.

>

> I kinda agree, that was less than I should have offered

Just be careful the brake drum is thinner now.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account