Re: Brake drum resurfacing? NOT THIS CENTURY

Terbo Speghetti /

Yeah I looked em over pretty good before I decided to try this. I *THINK* there are marks to indicate the max depth you can use them to. Little indents on the upper edge. They were pretty visible still, but I'm def gonna take em apart after a few dozen miles to look things over

Dirty30 Dillon /

The attitude in this thread sucks.

Terbo Speghetti /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The attitude in this thread sucks.

So you decided to come add to it?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The attitude in this thread sucks.

>

> So you decided to come add to it?

I felt it was fair to call out that asking for free expertise on an open forum and than chastising people for offering opinions is exemplary of bad vibes.

Also critiquing people for being willing to dispose of parts they can't/won't fix, while simultaneously using free professional labor to overcome the same hurdles they couldn't surmount, is also bad vibes.

I don't know why you've gone so hard on people in this thread, but it sucks. We all know Slew talks in riddles, that PD is starchy, and that "it's just mopeds" is not really an excuse to kill your friends, but c'mon man.

Terbo Speghetti /

Ok, let's just start with the idea that I used "free professional labor" to do anything. I didn't try not to pay the guy, he told me I shouldn't. I showed up ready to pay $150 because that's probably what I could get a new set of wheels for.

And I'm not untrained in this, I'm a semester from a CNC machinist/programmer associate's degree. To suggest that I just used someone else's knowledge is not true. If I had access to a lathe with a two foot swing, I could have done the same job in the same amount of time.

There were plenty of good suggestions that I responded to, but there were plenty of people that repeated the "throw it away" or your version "modify it at great cost." Those suggestions were not valuable. And they were repeated over and over again. I got annoyed, sue me.

It seems like you're taking "it's just mopeds" a little too seriously to me.

And "the attitude sucks in this thread" is a pretty short way to say all those things

Terbo Speghetti /

One more thing, attendance in this thread was not compulsory. If you didn't like it, you didn't have to keep posting.

I'm interested in how much was taken off, and how it affects the brake shoe travel.

You never showed before and after pics.

Without knowing the specs on the brake surface thinness, when the brake shoes contact the drum, what kind of lever action is there? Are the pivot points maxed out? Extra spring tension? Longer lever pull? Spongier feeling?

I mean, does it stop?

Or is it unnoticeable and I'm just over thinking it.

Terbo Speghetti /

Yeah I was pretty bad about taking pics but he took .200 off both.

The rear wheel seemed like it was cast kinda funky, the new sealed bearings were off by .030 no matter what. In a perfect world I would have machined that bearing surface as well, but I was just glad to get the drum flat.

I balanced the rear wheel for the sake of maybe possibly helping with that bearing being eccentric. Prob wasted my time there, and at the end of the day it's just mopeds.

Here's the before pics I've got tho. I'll have to wait til I take the wheels back off to get after shots

20210426_103524.jpg
20210426_103520.jpg

Terbo Speghetti /

That's .200 in inches, measured from the narrowest part of the drum (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> Ok, let's just start with the idea that I used "free professional labor"

> to do anything. I didn't try not to pay the guy, he told me I shouldn't.

> I showed up ready to pay $150 because that's probably what I could get a

> new set of wheels for.

>

> And I'm not untrained in this, I'm a semester from a CNC

> machinist/programmer associate's degree. To suggest that I just used

> someone else's knowledge is not true. If I had access to a lathe with a

> two foot swing, I could have done the same job in the same amount of

> time.

>

> There were plenty of good suggestions that I responded to, but there

> were plenty of people that repeated the "throw it away" or your version

> "modify it at great cost." Those suggestions were not valuable. And they

> were repeated over and over again. I got annoyed, sue me.

>

> It seems like you're taking "it's just mopeds" a little too seriously to

> me.

>

> And "the attitude sucks in this thread" is a pretty short way to say all

> those things

I never said you swindled him, but you had access to and used free professional labor to get something done that was financially, technologically, or technically outside of the realm of your abilities.

In terms of your knowledge: so you know how to do this the right way, and were looking for alternatives given the fact that your don't have access to the typical tooling. Cool, but calling someone an idiot for offering an alternative that met your criteria is shitty.

Nothing to do with mopeds is serious, but it sucks to see people taking the time to respond to a thread asking for help and getting "gtfo" and "be better" as the response.

My initial response had me avoiding this whole quagmire of a conversation, hence the brevity. But alas, here we are anyway.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Better than crypto quotes

Hwem apw...

am i out of line by mounting the axle in a vise, spinning the wheel by hand and using sand paper on my finger?... every moped brake drum ive seen has alotta slop in all the parts anyway and the brakes always worked better after a good cleaning an sanding like that.

i use the same method to sand and spray-bomb rusty rims. when it cold out you can then use a heat gun to dry the paint on the spinning rim.

maybe my standards are lower than some of yall

Terbo Speghetti /

I mean, that's not out of the ordinary. But enough times doing that will cause the problem I was trying to solve so it's not ideal

Well I fir one am glad you got it done professionally so this thread can die.

showed up for the creative problem solving and helpful suggestion part, and stayed for the using the right tool to get the job done part.

+1 for follow up and photos.

standard issue expected trash talking about who even knows, that never actually goes anywhere - unlike this small project.

props to the nerd who helped you because it is interesting, and he probably recognized that your wheel wasn't worth 20$ complete. IMHO, That guy sets a standard for moped culture in the extended community.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account