Tao Tao Zummer- major issues

To start I should say, I do not know a lot when it comes to small engines, scooters, or repairs what so ever. Please be patient with me as I am trying to learn.

I have a 2014 Tao Tao Zummer

It is a 4 stroke and it has some major issues

It will hardly start and when it does it dumps out a large amount of white smoke from the exhaust. If it runs it's only for a little and I have to have the throttle all the way open, if i let off it dies, and eventually it just dies anyway.

Where should I start while trying to fix it? Thanks!

Re: Tao Tao Zummer- major issues

Jesse Nordlander /

This is going to be fun watching you get flamed out of here.

toss it off a cliff, come back with a real moped.

4906FAA7-D396-4A06-93FA-C66CE766BD2B.gif

Check the exhaust valve clearance would be a good starting point..also make sure your carburetor is clean and jets open...get a new spark plug...

Parts darts?

I should have mentioned you need to replace your fuel lines...

Thanks for the help Jesse!

Thank you, i appreciate it!

Jesse Nordlander /

Best help I can offer! Get yourself a proper 2 stroke. I mean everything works in a logical manner, but your on the wrong forum

Rick Bergsma /

Check the oil level , I bet the crankcase is full of gas

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Jiggle the handle. Replace wax doughnut. You might have a bad flapper or the float valves shot...

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Jiggle the handle. Replace wax doughnut. You might have a bad flapper or

> the float valves shot...

Thats a different kind of toilet. This one has wheels.

Head gasket failure brother.

Friggin thing's probably warped.

Hey Parker, people are giving you crap because you are asking for help with scooter, not a moped.

You'll have more luck on a site or FB group that focuses on scooters.

I'm ya I'd get rid of it but what do I know. I Work on mine till I'm pissed and my wifes mad too.

might be as easy as bad gas. wet gas is smoky. could be as bad as bad rings, or bad valve guide seals leaking oil past and burning it. I would try new gas plugs and setting valves 1st, always good 1st steps, then if nothing improves get in to check out the cylinder and head, valve seals etc.

White smoke typically means water so if it was a water cooled engine I’d say coolant is leaking into the cylinder from a cracked head or blown head gasket. With it being an air cooled engine, I’m kinda thinking you could have water in the gas. You may want to drain the fuel tank completely and then clean or replace the carburetor and see if that helps. The gas caps on those Chinese scooters are poorly designed and allow rain water to seep into the tank if you put it on the wrong way (if the tank filler isn’t located under the seat that is). Best advice I can give is to buy a two stroke moped with pedals and bring the Tao to the scrap yard, they’re very unreliable.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account