Hobbit PA50II idles fine then dies when throttle is opened

Just bought this hobbit from a guy who parted it together with all stock parts, except its upjetted to 83 (maybe 82), as opposed to the stock 78 from what I've read.

It idles great, but when I open the throttle it just dies unless Im peddling with it. Peddling to up acceleration is pretty normal, but I feel like not to this extent. I used to be able to accelerate from a red light without peddling.

Maybe the upjet is the problem, but I live at altitude so thats the reason for it. I just ordered a proma pipe also, not sure how much it will interact with jet size

Also just wondering what oil people use, havent really settled on a consistent one.

I'm new here be nice to me pls :)

Re: Hobbit PA50II idles fine then dies when throttle is opened

Any high quality 2 stroke oil is fine, I run Honda-line or Yamalube, mixed at 32:1, the 25:1 mix shown on the tank is from when the bike was made, and really not necessary, most will say 32:1 is too much oil as well, but it works for me, you can go 40:1-50:1 with no issues. Maybe keep that jet in there until your pipe comes and see how it does? Bear in mind the carbs on these bikes must be surgically clean for them to run well. Is your air-filter clean and in place?

It sounds like the main jet is clogged. Tear into that carburetor and clean it really good.

Especially if its the stock carb.

I run Yamalube R2. But thats because i dont want more than 1 premix can.

Try cleaning the carb with brake cleaner before removing whole thing pita. Theres a small silver screw(verticle) and fuel mixture screw. I take those two out and blow cleaner and compressed air thru em before taking it all apart. Also theres a screw for the drain if ya wanna make sure fresh gas is in there on the bottom of the float bowl.

Torrey Flaxton /

Any body think my jet may just be too big and its just flooding the engine when I open the throttle?

Might try just jetting down because I've given it a real good clean.

Such thing as an aftermarket air filter for the stock carb though? Also think that could be my problem

Performance pipes definitely effect jetting. If you are using the original foam air cleaner element in the little plastic tray you might try giving it a good cleaning, or removing it all together to see if there's a noticeable difference in how it runs. I like to cut my own foam from a sheet of hi-flow uni filter foam or something similar.

What Altitude?

Extreme elevation requires less jetting

Less air up there so less gas too

Were your crank seals changed by the builder? If not you really should swap them if they’re like 40yo (edited)

Most likely not enough gas. Try choking halfway and throttling to see if she revs. Ive backed that screw out 3 1/2 to 4 turns to get the off idle right.

Torrey Flaxton /

I am at 6000 feet altitude, my engine sounds rich but the too little fuel thing makes a lot of sense for what I'm feeling.

I keep like riding slow at first and then if I keep the throttle open I just take off after a few seconds.

I'm running the stock carb and it barely has an air filter

Try Kneeling next to the bike with it running and your hand on the throttle. Manipulate the choke lever at the same time you are trying to open the throttle and see if you can get the bitke to reve normally.

Doing this can tell you a lot about rich or lean conditions.

if you can get the bike to rev with the choke partially or fully closed then your jet may be partly clogged or too small.

6000 feet is gonna run rich as fuck.

That’s some thin air up there.

Take out your air filter and try it, and try removing the snorkel and see if it’s better

When a motor dies from lean conditions it will sound as if the spark is being robbed and may have a POP sound with it.

When a motor dies from too rich the sound is you can still here the plug firing but its like it is just being strangled and the would be no POP.

I picked up my first PA50-II last fall and took it out for 2 rides, the test ride and around the block once I got it home. I noticed that the choke is sticking. Even though it hit 30 mph, as soon as I turned off the choke, the motor died. I'll definitely have to clean that carb properly AND get the choke lever moving freely.

It's supposed to release when you open the throttle.

^^ Yes, so I have 2 issues in the carb...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account