Puch Newport Moped Flywheel Stuck

I got a puch Newport from a neighbor. It needed a carb clean and fuel filter and then it was up and running. After a while of riding I tried to start it one day and with the clutch in the pedals would not budge. So I took off the flywheel cover and the flywheel was stuck. I am able to turn the flywheel with a socket wrench to free it. It stays free for the ride. Then after cooling down it gets stuck again. No weird noises. I sprayed wd40 in and cleaned the top of the piston because there was a decent amount of carbon build up but there were only slight scratches. The piston is completely freed up with one turn of the socket wrench. Any ideas??

Thanks!

image.jpg

Re: Puch Newport Moped Flywheel Stuck

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

You need to take the head and cylinder off to properly inspect the piston and the cylinder bore for damage.

roots to wings /

Happened to me once after I had the flywheel off and the woodruff key got dislodged and stuck. In addition to above, which you should have done before riding it, take off the flywheel and inspect.

How do you get the flywheel off without further damaging anything else?

If it was the woodruff sheared and the timing was off the bike wouldnt start n run good, look elsewhere.

Ru mixing the gas with 2 stroke oil? Whats weird in your situation is on a soft seize piston will seize when hot and then loosen up when cool. Yours is opposite.

So id pull off the top end inspect post picts of cylinder bore and piston because you can.

But i am suspecting something is getting wedged in the tranny side like your clutch arms stuck.

Does it act funny when you stop and idle? Did you add tranny fluid?

That’s the weird part. It runs perfectly fine. It starts and stops fine. Everything works normally until it cools down. I never added new tranny fluid but it only has 1000 miles on it and I’m assuming not much was done with it.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Regardless of the mileage, you’re running this bike with an unknown amount of 40+ year old tranny fluid. I would drain and change that 1970’s fluid sooner, rather than later. (edited)

Here is the piston. Do the rings look normal?? I checked and there seems to be plenty of tranny fluid but I will replace just in case

image.jpg

Are these pistons rings broken??

image.jpg

The piston got stuck and when I tried to take the cylinder of I was having trouble so I am assuming this is the problem. Should I buy a new piston? Clean the old one? Seems to have no scratches and be in good shape

Dirty30 Dillon /

That looks awful, you should completely flush and clean the crankcase and find out where all that buildup is from.

My guess is you may have a blown bearing and the seal is sucking up clutch oil.

How might I fix that?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Split the cases and replace all bearings and seals. E50 rebuilds are fairly straightforward, but you will need the proper flywheel, clutch and bearing pullers to do the job. (edited)

Can I test for this without opening it all up? If not can u link me to the right tools?

Yeah the cylinder is just gunked up from old fuel and carbon buildup. Just get it cleaned out really well and the piston and cylinder nice and shiney.

That would be a great place to start that wont cost much more than some good degreasing chemicals.

Why do you think it’s transmission fluid though? I thought the transmission fluid was red. Also the bike still has full fluid. It runs perfectly fine when it is not stuck and I don’t think it is making any weird noises.

Finally an answer that doesn’t involve spending $200. I know the bike runs very rich could this be what caused it?

Cleaning it off didn’t work. When I put it together it seems to get stuck around where the piston rings are. Any suggestions?

Looks like algae very strange indeed.

Pushrod Fifty /

You have to line up the pins in the piston grooves with the ring slots. Line them up and make a line across the ring and piston with a Sharpie to be sure they are lined up when you slide the cylinder over them. Pinch the rings to compress them as you slide the cylinder over them.

I have a slightly different problem with my Puch Newport; it starts and runs, and within a minute or so mid-throttle, the engine stops, and the flywheel gets stuck.

I had on that I had to put a shim in back of the clutch because it was sitting to far in when I tightened it up and would turn the whole motor without pulling the decomp lever. Worked great after that. if you cant turn it that might be it. I would take the clutch off when it does that and see if it is the motor or the clutch. if you take the clutch off with a puller, the motor should turn easy.

Can you explain more?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account