Tomos Streetmate Bogging with Throttle

Hi again, been doing some upkeep on my Streetmate since the last post. By suggestion of a mechanically inclined older friend, I dunked the carb and its parts (not the float) in parts cleaner for about an hour and dried and cleaned it before putting it back on with a new air filter ( https://www.treatland.tv/PHVA-air-filter-p/phva-air-filter-angle.htm ) with a size 58 main jet. I have been losing power/ bogging/ stalling/ whatever you want to call it as soon as I give it some throttle ever since. I pulled the carb back out to see if anything was out of line and everything seemed A OK to me, though I am a newby here. I will link two videos I posted to Youtube to hopefully grant you guys a better idea. I really appreciate any and all guidance! Thanks :D

Re: Tomos Streetmate Bogging with Throttle

Probably Fred /

What year Streetmate ?

did you plug the oil injection port? and delete the oil injector, im guessing its gone.

try and run it with the choke on. If it runs then your main jet is clogged. It is possible your exhaust is plugged too, those stock catalytic converters may be jacked.

This is usually a symptom of a clogged main jet. Pull the carb off and hold the jet up to light and see if you can clearly see through it. Blow compressed air and/or carb cleaner into it. If it is still clogged you can thread a copper wire fiber through the jet, be careful as to not score the bore of the jet; it's very narrow. Put it back on and see if it bogs at throttle. You might have to do some tuning and rejetting if it works, research that.

If it's still bogging you might have an airleak. A way to test for that is to start the bike and idle it until it's warm. Spray carb cleaner on every seam between metal parts you see. There are a lot of resources on how to do this, let us know how it goes.

No fuel injector, main jet is perfectly clear. What do you mean about the catalytic converters?

Thank you for the insight. I can see perfectly through the main jet so we can cross that off. I’m about to go grab some carb cleaner so I’ll keep you posted about a potential air leak!

Probably Fred /

If you have the stock exhaust you need to have the stock airbox on

if you have a performance exhaust and mesh filter you need to up jet main to around 64#, adjust needle clip for no bog

Thank you, I have a biturbo and just ordered an UNI intake as well as a 64# jet to pair it up with. Sound like a good combo?

I currently have a size 58 main jet in.

Probably Fred /

> Max Hoyle Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you, I have a biturbo and just ordered an UNI intake as well as a

> 64# jet to pair it up with. Sound like a good combo?

>

> I currently have a size 58 main jet in.

You are lean with 58 jet

DO NOT RUN BIKE WITH A LEAN CARB SETTING!

Uni foam filter?

It’s junk, Inconsistent airflow when wet with gas or moisture which affects the jetting

Get Large mesh type 9-13$

73D7AF6C-646B-434C-97AA-C38D7586C9A2.jpeg

You should have a jet range (62, 63,64,65,66) not just one jet

Run it w choke on.

OK sounds good I'll scrap the UNI, I have the large mesh filter on it already just waiting on the bigger jet. I ordered a range from treats a few weeks ago and they were all too small so for the time being I ordered a 64, will order a range once this one gets here. Thanks for the tips!

Sounds good, I'll get back to you with that. Its a sh*tty day here in NJ so once the skies clear I'm gonna check for air leaks and run it with the choke. I was reading up on air leaks and remembered that my exhaust gasket is pretty much shot and some oil mix leaks out onto the pipe every now and again, not sure if this would contribute to the bogging problem but I ordered a new gasket and will keep posted.

Okay so I have an update for everyone. I let the bike sit for a few days while it was crappy out, upjetted to 64, put in a high performance air filter and replaced the exhaust gasket and she's been running beautifully! I took it out for a joy ride today and was riding for about 25 minutes when I stalled rolling to a stop. I figured no biggie and tried to kick over, to no avail. I kicked about 4 times and the kickstart locked up on me. At first I wasn't able to roll backwards but it started to once I got it back in my driveway (after pedaling it all the way home). I'm going to make a separate post with this information but I wanted to give everyone who has helped out in here an update on how things are going!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account