Puch starter clutch shaft

All,

the starter clutch shaft is just free spinning either direction, does the clutch shaft come apart or break? The starter clutch would slip unless done gently, and now its not gripping at all to start the bike. I took the clutch cover lever off and the starter clutch shaft isn't hitting anything. Do they come apart or break?

Re: Puch starter clutch shaft

You mean that semicircular rod on the inside of the cover that turns as the clutch lever is pulled? Yeah, it can come apart or break like anything else, but you’d prob notice it. When it doesn’t work, it’s usually because the cable has come loose, either at the adjuster end (there’s usually a set of nuts to tighten it) or at the lever end (the cable goes through a hole on the lever and is held in place with a little bolt, which you can loosen to pull the cable a little further through it).

> Chinatown Kicks Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You mean that semicircular rod on the inside of the cover that turns as

> the clutch lever is pulled? Yeah, it can come apart or break like

> anything else, but you’d prob notice it. When it doesn’t work, it’s

> usually because the cable has come loose, either at the adjuster end

> (there’s usually a set of nuts to tighten it) or at the lever end (the

> cable goes through a hole on the lever and is held in place with a

> little bolt, which you can loosen to pull the cable a little further

> through it).

Should the shaft just spin freely?? It just keeps spinning and never hits anything.

194409807_483892799500548_7152309767673673432_n.jpg

I didn't want to take the spring and cover off but I'm going to tomorrow, I wanted to wait until I had new bolts to replace the old. I can start it with my drill on the crank..

So there’s usually an actuator arm that fits onto the splines up at the top, and a spring that returns it to its position. When you pull the lever, the rod should come into contact with the starter plate, pressing that plate up against the starter side of the clutch.

> Chinatown Kicks Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So there’s usually an actuator arm that fits onto the splines up at the

> top, and a spring that returns it to its position. When you pull the

> lever, the rod should come into contact with the starter plate, pressing

> that plate up against the starter side of the clutch.

Yep, its all taken apart right now... when i took the lever off the rod never hits anything...

Ok, have you taken the clutch cover off to confirm that the starter plate is actually there? If so, then the clutch bell may need to be shimmed out further.

I took the cover off, the starter plate had come unattached. The circlip had fallen off.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account