spokes

Douglas Ruth /

what is the correct spoke length & diameter for a 1978 Puch Maxi Lux?

I measure the dia. to be 12 gage but the offered lengths vary from 188mm to 195 from treatland.

Re: spokes

try asking treats, they probably know better than most, I dont have any idea. it can be kinda tricky to measure spokes, you can find bicycle spoke calculators, I think most mopeds are 2 cross, and then you just need the rim and hub diameters.

But way easier is to measure. be aware the "length" measures from the center of the spoke bend (if it's 90°) measured to the end of the threads.

You can be +/- 1-2mm and be OK, too long and you can run out of threads, or poke out past the top of the nipple and pop tubes. too short and you can't get enough threads in the nipple to get tight. but since the nipples have like 8mm of threads and you need maybe 3-4, you got some play

fuck me i dont know why i dont just goto myrons for everything, of course he's got an excellent desctiption...

http://myronsmopeds.com/category/wheel/spokes/

even including the info you seek:

188mm 2.6 12g

Looks like also

" pre-1977 Puch Maxi spec is 191mm, while 1977-later is 188mm, with the same rim and hub"

and thus 188mm is probably your best bet, appears to fit all the newport and maxi models.

Douglas Ruth /

Many thanks.

The one thing I don't agree with is the "maximum length" in that diagram. If your spoke threads stick out passed your nipple, grind it off. Unless you need practice fixing flat tires.

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The one thing I don't agree with is the "maximum length" in that

> diagram. If your spoke threads stick out passed your nipple, grind it

> off. Unless you need practice fixing flat tires.

I do agree and too would consider filing them flat to the nut, but the image shows that spoke coming up above the rim line so minutely that with a rim strip it would not have any affect on the tube at all. Any higher and it would spell failure for sure.

Take a look at an old rubber rim strip that has molded itself to the shape of the nipple. That might change your mind.

And if you've got low tire pressure and slam over a bump, it's gonna push your tube hard into the rim.

A few minutes with a grinder for peace of mind is worth it.

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Take a look at an old rubber rim strip that has molded itself to the

> shape of the nipple. That might change your mind.

>

> And if you've got low tire pressure and slam over a bump, it's gonna

> push your tube hard into the rim.

>

> A few minutes with a grinder for peace of mind is worth it.

True^ .

Ever felt the screw end of a spoke ? Pretty sharp , mostly .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account