oil injection pump on 1978 honda express

Wondering how to test oil pump on my honda express?When i first got the bike I wasn"t sure about trusting oil pump so I capped off oil lines and just mixed gas .

Now I have 3 running honda express bikes from 1978 1979 and 1 from 1980.

one bike came with oil pump working so now i wonder if i can test pumps start using oil injection instead of premix.I was considering just trying pump -by hooking up oil line and then just pump oil into a container (while using premixto run bike).and info would be helpful.

Re: oil injection pump on 1978 honda express

These are all 40 years old. Are you willing to find out the hard way that your oil pump has failed?

I wonder if anyone has capped off the oil pump and used that reservoir as a reserve tank by putting some kind of "T" valve on the line?

The service manual details clearly how to test the oil pump. If you're gonna tinker with something at least get the service manual for it.

Good advice,I do have the service manual .

thanks

Jason Majernik /

I think the oil pumps are incredibly simple in design and are the way to go, assuming your tank is in good condition. To test mine (I’ve done 3), I put premix in the tank, then disconnected the line from the pump to the carb or intake at those places, depending on the model. The line should be empty and clear (to see through). I just replaced the line that was there to make this work. It probably needs replacing anyway. Then start the engine, running premix (I did 40:1 with semisynthetic oil in the premix, because that’s what I use in other equipment). Then look for oil flow going through the line from the pump to the carb or intake. It’s very slow at idle, but if you’re running premix, it’ll be fine to rev it and look for oil going through that line. Once you confirm oil is going through the line and is dripping out, connect it to the carb or intake (depending on the model), drain the rest of the premix (or not, it won’t hurt it for a bit), refill with straight gasoline. Non ethanol gas, preferably. Ride and enjoy!

People say they can fail, but anything on a 40 year old bike can fail. If the pump is in good condition, and not rusted or clogged, it should continue to function well. There’s a YouTube video on how to clean it and get it apart. Try searching for it. Could replace the gasket where it seats into the casing.

Or as little evil suggests, refer to the manual.

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> These are all 40 years old. Are you willing to find out the hard way

> that your oil pump has failed?

>

> I wonder if anyone has capped off the oil pump and used that reservoir

> as a reserve tank by putting some kind of "T" valve on the line?

Yes, they have.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account