1977 Columbia Sachs wheel bearing spec - Don't make my mistake

Lorenzo (Sanguine Synergy) /

Just a heads up for anyone in the future planning to replace the wheel bearings on a 1977 Columbia Sachs 505, the wheel bearings for the wheels state they are "6202-2RS" on the seal, which is correct, but on my moped the inner race also had an extra bit of information that was faced inwards (into the wheel) that I could not see- a 1/2" designation for the shaft diameter going through it.

A standard 6202-2RS bearing has an ID/OD/Width of

15mm / 35mm / 11mm

The bearing the Columbia takes is actually a 6202-1/2"-2RS which as the following dimensions

1/2" / 35mm / 11mm.

Picture for proof here

You need the 6202-1/2"-2RS, otherwise your wheel is going to wobble around unrestrained. Thank goodness I double checked the bearings otherwise that would've been a hassle to undo. Oh well, project delayed another 3 days. The usual. (edited)

1977 Columbia Sachs bearing.jpg

Re: 1977 Columbia Sachs wheel bearing spec - Don't make my mistake

This is good wiki info

Re: 1977 Columbia Sachs wheel bearing spec - Don't make my mistake

Lorenzo (Sanguine Synergy) /

True, I added it to the Moped Wiki's page on wheel bearings and seals under a new category for "Columbia Commuter"

If I did something wrong feel free to correct it, I don't really use the wiki that much and the design is kind of messy.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account