The Debated and Infamous Kinetic TFR Moped

alright. originally, like all newbies, i considered buying a TFR. then people started telling me that it was good, bad, reliable, cheap, shakey, smooth, heavy, light, blah blah blah, and all sorts of contradictory shit. i've come to the place where you all actually have some idea what you're talking about.

so what are the pros, cons, things to watch for, etc of the TFR?

Pros:

Cheap, fairly comfortable, built pretty solidly, performance options available, brakes are great, engine and drivetrain are essentially the Vespa Ciao's, so parts are usually interchangeable.

Cons:

Quality control issues, poor low end power (single speed, dry clutch just like the Ciao), top end not super great either, some parts poorly designed, pedals mounted too low, fairly hard to work on (carb inconveniently located, cylinder buried in frame).

Be sure to watch for various bolts loosening up (though this is true on any ped really).

Re: The Debated and Infamous Kinetic TFR Moped

My friend has one and it seems to be a decent moped. It has 8:1 compression so you can run regular gas and starts up like a normal moped by pushing it. The the major flaws on it are very low torque and poor acceleration, top speed is somehow limited, frame is too flexable, and exhaust/carb are a pain to take off. But, according to Moped Warehouse, they can make 3 hp which is more than any TOMOS (2.3 hp) and also is about the same weight which means if you get rid of the speed limiter, it might be able to go 40 stock (unless Moped Warehouse put down the hp rating wrong).

I agree, except:

the frame is not flexible

the exhaust is easy to remove (clamp=easier than 2-bolt config)

They may make 3HP with mods, but not stock. I've ridden Tomos and Kinetics, and the Kinetic is just not as powerful (not due to gearing)

Believe me, the frame is very flexable. When my friend sits on his, the frame bends a lot but when he sits on my TOMOS, it is less and for him, it is hard to remove the exhuast on his. Anyway, I wasn't sure about the hp but why would Chris list it wrong on his site?

The frame on my kinetic isn't flexible at all...

bassman27, maybe it was a typo or something... cause i know tomos have to have more power than kinetics.

haha you own a peice of crap... for the money its worth getting a tomos, theres more places that support them and carry parts for them also they look better (opinion)

I like my kinetic, it was well worth the $400 I paid for it basically brand new. Wouldn't dream of finding a Tomos at that price. I don't like all the flashy plastic those bikes have anyway.

Once I get a couple of mods I don't think I'll have many performance problems. :D

Sean Taylor 9/18/1971 - 1/14/2007 /

Ok so I am a big man, very big man. The frame does NOT flex with me on it. That issue is done. I just put a Malossi 70cc kit on it and it runs GREAT! I also got a bigger carb for it. This is all thru 50cc.nl. I think Kinetics are good and just mod it a bit and it is GREAT!! Cosmo motors is a great resource for all things Kinetic. Also as Matt mentioned the Ciao is interchangeable with it. I say go for it. I personally do not like the style or look of the Tomos. Go Kinetic if you want new and inexpensive.

well we can all scratch off the inexpensive factor off the list. checking cosmotor yesterday a new one is $899. just sealed the deal for me to get a sprint in the fall...

I would describe the kenetic as a "chill" moepd not a fun moped.

Its quiet, slow, and indian. I don't really like it.

I am interested in what sean has done to his though. What is the topend on that sean?

I guess but I also heard that the have some kind of speed limiter but that might be wrong too. Anyway, I guess the reason why my friends frame flexes is because he weights over 230.

It's an OK moped- a lot better than the teeny weeny ones, like the express and QT50, but I think I like Sachs, Puch Honda and Tomos better.

If you get creative you can probably get pretty good low end or high end speed- the pulley on the rear is a standard type, and if you go to a really well stocked hardware store you can pick up a pulley and belt for under $40

Cosmo motors used to sell them as an assembly for low end or high speed.

Sean Taylor 9/18/1971 - 1/14/2007 /

Well what I have done to it is replaced the carb with a Delortto 13mm and put on a Malossi 70cc kit.

Stock exhaust though. I have had the top speed up to 37 acording to the speedometer, but not sure how realble that is. As to the frame flexing. I weigh over 230 and it doesn't flex on me.

good choice

listen i was skeptical like you when i went to get my 04 tfr i picked it up for 500 with 920 mile on it i took it home had the carbed cleaned fixed the gas line and now it has 1500 miles on it and no problems ever! its an amazing ped i love it doesnt have the power of the a tomos but you wouldnt find a tmos at that price that didnt have some kinda problem trust me i hunted for like three months dissapointed by hondas tomos and puch my kinetic is tride and true i am currently getting a sito plus pipe for 60 itll make my current top speed of about 25-28 to about 30-37 so i have heard so if the price is right get it its comfortable i have ridden my buddys tomos and his heroic gizmo and neither compare to the fell so if you want reliable and comfortable but dont mind a little less power totally pick up a kinetic.

this post is 5 years old, you fail.

At least he searched first? haha

props for actually searching.

take notes newbies

just find a vespa and buy that if you want a vespa dont buy the cheap knock off i got my vespa si super cheap or get a puch puch is solid reliable and shit tons of parts.

Bill Shamblin /

I don't know about that... In light of some of the recent posts about Kinetics, it might be worth going back to the discussion.

In my own experience, I would not reccomend buying a "new" Kinetic. The people selling them now are playing on the ignarance of people (like me) who know nothing about mopeds, but are looking for cheap transportation and maybe a little bit of fun.

They are based on a classic design so they look like the real thing. That is what I was looking for. I know better now, but I didn't when I bought mine.

Beware of claims like "Performance Carb" and"Twist the throttle and go"

THe folks on this forum know better, the rest of us out here don't..

For me, I'm learning, and making lemonade frm the lemon I got.

Bill KU4QB

If someone Googles Kinetic moped, maybe they can learn from others experience...

yea i got my tomos for 400 and it was well worth it. ill stick with the tried and true peds.

I actually just looked at this thread now because of seeing this noob pretend to own a Kinetic TFR to impress people on Moped Army...

I think that says a lot.

https://mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/7/144368/144368/

***Kim Jong illest*** /

yes, he sure is impressing me with that TFR

150+ miles to the gallon. I've read countless posts about people who beat the crap out of theirs, and it just keeps running. The extra's are kinda cheapy, but vital parts are sound. If you can buy one used, but in good shape, Definitely worth it. Frame is strong.

Really, really hard to work on.

Mike Turner /

I owned a new 2005 TFR and it was a nice bike for a light weight rider. The only weak part was the belt final drive. If you get it tuned right it starts easy and would even start by coasting. Good bike for someone 150 lbs. or less

Justin Sonnett /

i like my tfr. Not fast stock but there are wayyy more vespa parts available for it than you would think. Its pretty much like a soft tail ciao. Its got a cdi stock which is pretty cool and it uses rotary valve induction instead of reeds. The one big downside to the motor is the intake on the stock cases can be made any larger than 13mm but there are different cases and even twin carb case halves you can use if you want to spend the dough. They also have awesome brakes! I skid all over town like a hipster on a fixie! The quality may not be quite as good as puch or maybe tomos and you have to get a little more creative when it comes to performance. You WILL get hated on all the time by other riders but who cares. I didnt buy a moped to be "quality" or "reliable", I bought one to tinker around with and make unique and thats what its all about in the first place.

merryxmas.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account