Camino Pulley - Help!

I don't know what type of Belgian puzzle is going on here but I'm failing miserably at taking this thing apart. There don't seem to be any pins like the one in the wiki. Look at my blurry pictures:

This is how far I've gotten

Fully closed

Fully open

Closed

Open

Just for fun, here's the tjt spring with the Camino spring

Since I seem to be pulleytarded can anyone tell me how to take this thing apart? Please?

Re: Camino Pulley - Help!

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

man, i can't make anything out in your photos.. back the camera up and try again?

Ok, fair enough. Retry.

Here it is in less drunk format:

bump so I can clean my pulley

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Man, those look nasty, did you get pics first?

rock finally shredding pow /

gross trim your finger nails.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Find someone with a bead blasting cabinet & those parts will look/be new again. Make sure you lube it up good inside before re assembly. I like Red Line synthetic grease.

Thanks, Cappy. Good to know. I was wondering what to put in there. They're currently soaking in some Evaporust. They move freely and the insides look clean so I'm pretty happy with them. Now, if only I could take them apart...

@Mike - Yeah, my hands are gross. I certainly don't have the girly hands that..well, that I've never had. Yeah. I buy dirty old moped parts instead of manicures. Plus, longer nails are good for prying at stuff. And I'm a girl, so, ha!

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

The pins are inside & run down two opposing helical grooves when the pulleys move in n out. Those are the parts that need the grease (pins & grooves) and the parts that will rub as they go in n out. Doesn't need to be a huge amount cause then it will fling out & get everything greasy. You don't want it to get on the belt. As far as the bead blasting cabinet, there's lots of shops that have them. Maybe one of the moped shops, in your area, might have one & they would let you use it if you promised that the parts would be clean (free of dirt & grease) before you put them in the cabinet.

rock finally shredding pow /

ha, good. i cant handle dudes with long nails.

Well see, that's the thing...I can't find these pins or see anywhere that they could possibly be. I'm hoping that Evaporust will take care of the rust on the cheeks. 600 grit sandpaper took it off pretty quickly and easily but I had to go to work so I stuck them in coffee cups and am letting 'em soak. Thanks, Cappy!

Me neither! haha

Yay Evaporust!

So, I still can't open this thing up. Anyone have one of these 2nd gen. pulleys that can help me out?

isn't there a snap ring .. you have to remove before it comes apart? pb blasterr.

I removed one ring and that's how I got the spring out. Is there another?

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Honda_PA_Drivetrain

Look at the bottom of the page, it might help you out, if you haven't seen it yet.

It should slide apart I will take one apart sometime today and show you.

Thanks Ed but don't go to the trouble. Naz showed me that, once the spring is removed, you grab the cylinder that fits inside the spring and pull it out.

Terbo Speghetti /

Resurrecting this old thread because I can't get mine apart either and this isn't helping somehow. Anyone got a pic?

My spring is out, but I can't get the cheeks separated for my life

I've done this a couple times now it's a total pain in the ass. There is a metal sleeve that the spring rests on that retains grease and hides the pins. Usually it looks like it's just part of the assembly because it's been in there so long, and a lot of times it's rusted in place. That's what you're seeing when you look through the holes and can't see the pins. There's almost no way to pull it out without slightly bending it since it is very thin, and the lip is at the bottom of the pulley. You can see it in the pic in the wiki at the bottom (link: https://mopedarmy.com/wiki/Honda_PA_Drivetrain )

What I usually do is spray liberally with PB Blaster and let sit for a night, then try to grab the outside of the cylinder gently and twist it up and out. Sometimes I have had to resort to a good firm pair of needle nose to pull it all the way out.

Hope that helps! (edited)

Terbo Speghetti /

It did help, thanks! And yeah, that thing is real stuck. Pliers aren't budging it, gonna soak it like you suggested

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account