Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!!

> Hunter Skiff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I resort to just cutting [the] tires off

Been there , done that .

Jack Rutherford /
IMG_6909.jpeg

So this speedo needle would just keep doing 360s when hooked up to the cable. I'm assuming something is wrong inside the speedo itself. The needle should be functioning independently. I'm hoping it's just a case of lack of lubrication. Or it could be binding between magnet assembly and speedo disk. Anyhow, I'll take the face off soon and try oiling first. I guess I need some special oil. Here's a great site on how these things are repaired .

IMG_6908.jpeg

Hi

Maybe someone has a setup like mine. Want to know your jet setting. So could have a better starting point.

19mm PHBG carb

19mm Polini intake

63ccm Polini kit

Puch hi hi comp head

Giannelli exhaust

HPI ignition, no battery

Maybe someone can help!

Thanks

Robert

Jack Rutherford /

I haven't gotten back to the speedo yet but I found this video in the meantime on how to remove the needle properly.

Jack Rutherford /

Got the front tire off finally! Hooray!

before2.jpg

Before

progress2.jpg

In progress.(edited)

progress1.jpg

Jack Rutherford /
chappyfront.jpg
chappyfront2.jpg
chappyfront3.jpg

The forks are a little rough but definitely a nice improvement over the old. Cleaned off a few pounds of dirt under fenders as well.

Jack Rutherford /

ignore my misstatement about front sprocket possibly affecting speedo reading. I did put a 15 tooth front on and gained a couple mph later without really affecting take off speed. Got a 16 tooth on order.

Hey Chappy family,

I’m In the process of getting a Chappy restored by piece mailing two non working Chappy’s into one. Also had an LB80 motor added onto the 50 frame. New seat cover is going on thanks to Jacks help!

Wanted to know if any of you had knowledge of where I could get a rattle can for some touch up sprays. If not maybe the name of the shade?

Much appreciated, I’ll have some parts for sale after this build is complete.

CA5CB210-3C97-49CE-B5E0-270EC88D9A33.jpeg

Jack Rutherford /

Yeah I was thinking about trying to find the yellow in rattle can. I have to do fork ear repair and repaint.

Jack Rutherford /

Ok I’m getting this for yellow Dupli-Color BTY1517

first time logging in in probably 10 years. nice to see so much activity in the Chappy section. I just ran into an issue, and wonder if I can get help... My 1980 LB50 just decided it doesn't want to go into gear; and I need to figure that out. Whether moving the lever forward (high), or backward (low) (while the bike is running), the bike gives a slight lurch, like it is going into gear... BUT... then, nothing. I can rev, but the bike goes nowhere. It starts right up, and was running well for several years, but all of a sudden, not going into gear. Any ideas on the tranny engagement? I haven't tried to open it up yet.

IMG_8816.jpeg

by the way, I also have many things needed for another lb50 in yellow (except for the frame) if folks have needs. I would be interested in a headlight that fits the original headlight holder. also interested in polini kit, or other simple performance improvement items (currently stock). I don't want to change out the exhaust/muffler, but would be interested in how to modify stock muffler to let it breathe more. I'm more interested in acceleration and hill performance than top speed. really don't need to get over 25-30mph, but would like to get there faster, and stay there.

Jack Rutherford /

Qt50 headlight works perfect in a Chappy. Go a few pages back. I believe hunter covered stock exhaust mods.

Chappy lb50 was my first ped. Super fun. Pretty much a mini bike. Bike was tough as nails. Would love to find the 80cc version.

Any recommendations for the transmission not engaging??

Jack Rutherford /

Start simple. Pull off that left side cover and inspect that lever mechanism. See if you can get it in gear by just pushing on the shifter rod.

got the cover off. Shift lever looks OK. Started it up with the shift rod in the "halfway out" position (under tension from me and a 2x4. once running, letting the rod spring out into the all "the way out" position (or pushing the rod into the "all the way in" position produces the same results as when using the shift lever with the cover on... initial lurch forward with sounds of initial engagement, followed by nothing, and the bike continuing to run in "idle" though it should be in gear. Further thoughts?

Why ask ? Obviously something needs attention . Tear it down until you find out exactly what it is .

Download the service manual . ;)

really? you took time to write that? I'm not a small engine mechanic by trade, or by hobby, and I'm looking for some thoughts. I thought the idea here was to share info. I've been riding Chappys since the early 80's, but not working on them. I enjoy my Chappy. It has run great for the past 20 years. Now the gears are not properly engaging, and I'm looking for advice before tearing it down, or taking it to a shop.

... and I own an original printed copy of the service manual... have for many years. But tearing it down to that level is not my first choice.

Good you have the manual .

It's just nuts and bolts .

No worries , just do what ever keeps you happy and riding . :)

Dirty30 Dillon /

Does the bike bump start? Like, put in gear and push forward? They are designed to do so.

If it does, than that leaves the clutches as the problem.

If it doesn't, it could be pushrod wear, or potentially bombed second gear pawl. It's a weak point in the trans.

Jack Rutherford /

I'll go with "What Dillon said" for $1000, Alex.

Thanks Dillon! I was able to push start it in gear. also able to pop start it from rolling start. So going to look at clutch first.

Question: page 6 of service manual lists "check/adjust clutch as required" in the "Maintenance intervals" table... but I don't see anywhere in the manual how to adjust the clutch. Only how to disassemble/replace shoe lining. I will do a search, but is there an easy adjustment that would get me a little more life out of my clutch before replacing the shoe lining?

Jack Rutherford /

I think you’re stuck with replacing the lining. A different weight oil probably wouldn’t do a whole lot. My clutch slips every once in awhile.

removed the cover, and the one-way pawls fell out. they are in perfect shape. whole inside is immaculate. no shavings, or anything. linings look to be right at approx 2mm.

Weird that the pawls fell out. spring failure? waiting for a ring spreader tool to get any further. I have a good one-way comp boss with pawls and spring in tact. might just put that in and see what happens.

well that did it. Running like a champ! dropped in the one-way boss from spare motor, and done! Thanks so much for the advice!

Just picked up my 3rd Chappy from the mechanic's shop. Dropped off two Chappy's of the same year, both with different parts and ended up with 1 healthy Chappy.

This LB50 has been upgraded to an LB80 engine /carb/exhaust.

Also:

-Swing pedals removed

-Mount stand welded on

-Foot stand welded / modified to fit above exhaust head (see photos)

-new seat cover (thanks to Jack for the ebay link), the shop owner said that's the best one they've seen that isn't OEM. - Great price as well!

-new tires

-Electrical maintenance

-New battery

and some additional work that I'll need to post back with.

Haven't been able to get it past 30mph yet, but it will ride up hill and maintain speed which is key for where I live. Once there are fewer people walking on the side of the road due to the COVOID-19 I'll see if I can get it past 30mph on an open flat.

Looking to get my hands on some paint to clean up some spots, the can I ordered isn't the right shade and since then think I found out that it's called "Candy Blue" - sent an email to a custom paint company, hoping for a response soon.

- My 76 LB80 is getting tuned up as we speak, unfortunately looks like I need to replace my exhaust head pipe as its been rusting badly, needed new chain,sprockets and front wheel bearings.

Between my family and extended we have between us all, in running condition.

(2) 1978 LB80 with the foot brake pedal

(1) 1976 LB80

(1) 1982 LB50 with an LB80 engine

(1) 1980 LB50 with 72cc polini kit and carb upgrade

A lot of other's in the community here are still riding, hopefully we can keep these things running for another 40 years!

Two Chappys into 1.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg

Jack Rutherford /

Looks good! I might pick up an lb50.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account