Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!!

Im currently using a Yamaha L2 card which by the way works great with Yamaha Chappy. I also have two 3 wheeled original chappy in my collection.

131389279_873285266762405_1396872909757213325_n.jpg
71894729_3018234221537199_3251812790268067840_n.jpg

***Carb***

Those trikes are badass! I can't even find a parts bike, and you seem to have an abundance!

Still waiting on parts to arrive to carry on. Trying to use OEM as much as possible, and the parts are still out there but it is a scavenger hunt. Sent headlight bucket off to try and get a paint match, waiting on that too!

Here is with both tires on, chain loose, still just doing mock up before tear down.

~ r ~

tires 3.jpg

What I usually do to find parts is to buy old Yamaha chappy from different owners and the spare parts, i sell to other enthusiasts. Here is another one of my creations.

120540389_384032069283021_951673734943812061_n.jpg

you sir, are an artist!! that is a work of art

I can't even get the paint shop to match my paint, even after I provide them the exact recipe and the headlight bucket !! The computer scanner they have couldn't match my color from the headlight bucket. The guy kept trying to get me to pick from a paint chip chart, but they wanted to do it in a 1 stage process. The recipe I provided calls for a 3 step process, which I am willing to do, I guess the 2 colors I provided do not exist, so I may have to try and see best effort when I get to the painting. I am nervous to destroy original paint on the frame if I can not get it exact. Here is the formula I provided, direct from an official Yamaha paint chart from that era:

1) PNT 65000-01-46 White Pearl Basecoat

2) PNT 76000-00-K9 CGE CHAPPY GREEN

3) PNT 65000-04-00 Clear

But the first 2 don't seem to exist anywhere I look. Doesn't help it only seems like they used Chappy Green in 1976 and 1978 from as best I can tell. I could be wrong tho, it is exhausting finding out this much

~ r ~

one piece at a time, from all over the world, this rebuild continues, lol !

~ r ~

push.jpg

BTW... if anyone is searching for pedals for the Chappy pedal version, include the FS1E in your search and you should find these ones more readily available. At least I did.

~ r ~

pedals.jpg

wow!! spam poster, sorry guys.....

posting for scale, last pic made pedal look huge, they are actually pretty tiny..... so, be ware.....

~ r ~

for scale.jpg

Guys, please check out my collection on my YouTube Channel so you get to see my version of Yamaha Chappy with trailer and my Lockdown projects. I have also joined an Endurance Challenge before the lockdown taking my Chappy to 650 Kms endurance test! Lol! I have also shared some troubleshooting videos on my channel.

Visit me at:

Jon's Chappy Adventure

Jon, love your passion! I need to learn Tagalog !!

Still waiting on some overseas parts to keep this project going. Getting a bit more done, but still not there.

Chappy Holidays everyone!

~ r ~

unnamed5.jpg

finally getting closer on carb tuning. passed a milestone today...

20210331_163925-01.jpeg

full disclosure, was on a downhill grade, normally runs out of breath at 11k/45mph (vs 12/50). some exhaust port lift would probably do the trick but I'm reticent to deal with downsides. also 50mph on a chappy is fairly terrifying.

certified ripper!

Rob LaFreniere /

After re-assembling and re-installing the original carb and intake back into my LB80 I found this small plastic part left over in a zip-lock bag. Does anyone recognize it? It could be part of a 73 CT3 or a qt50.

UNKNOWN.png

Jack Rutherford /

I'm going to say that does not look qt.

a few minutes ago I cut my mlm intake into two pieces, then joined them with a 1" ID heater hose.

a bunch of high rpm (9-11k) lean fueling bullshit that I've been battling for months cleaned up. iknow it made a massive change because jetting/needle/etc all has to be dialed back in (I got it close with a 15min test run but I've still got work to do).

wish I had known this a long time ago. I think if you keep rpms sub 8k you'd be fine, but going up high with that long ass mlm gooseneck really gets the carb vibrating.

Good to know. And it doesnt fit under the stock plastics. Which MLM intake are you running? VM20? Wonder what the performance difference between the stock 17ish mm carb and a VM20 is.

Wow, Nice speed!!

Hope everyone is staying safe during these crazy times. With the way gas is looking these mopeds are looking the like way to go !!

Been chipping away at this project, more parts and pieces came in all spring. It has been a journey, but I am closing in getting all the parts together.

Just finished sandblasting and painting some old parts to try and match the frame. Still haven't blasted the frame, as it is original paint. I have kept all the original metals and plastics, and replaced them with correct parts. I have tried to use OEM as much as possible, and brand new where possible. It is starting and running nice, but still feels a bit gutless and sluggish between shifts. Haven't got into the guts of it yet, but in time...

OK chaps, be well here are a few pics of the process

~ r ~

20210503_150626.jpg
20210503_192655.jpg
20210504_141934.jpg

a couple more

~ r ~

20210505_115407.jpg
20210505_192252.jpg
20210522_160529.jpg

Looking great!

Ngl. Never gave these things a second thought initially but seeing those streetified bikes prior is making me consider reconsidering...😩

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account