Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!!

Jack Rutherford /

Btw, I started a FB group - Yamaha Chappy and Champ. Join!

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Looks good! I might pick up an lb50.

Would be cool to get your impressions on the LB50 coming from the LB80. They’re totally different bikes. Would also like to see how you push it performance wise

I'm a little bias in favor of the LB80 since owning one the past 15 years, pretty much only took on the LB50s to get them to run like LB80. Once I get this LB50 with the 80 engine in it running more often on the road, I'll be able to give you some feedback. I'm thankful to have a local mechanic that specializes in Chappy's otherwise I'd be SOL. I'm more of a computer guy, fan boy of Chappy's.

Not sure if it's official but the LB50 feels heavier when I ride it, will have to look at the specs between the 50 & 80 to see if that's correct.

Aloha Chappy Family,

Since I got my LB 50's and LB 80's running - Now I will be able to share my parts pile with you all. I have pictures posted in Jack's Chappy Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/416632159201684/

Hope to keep & Get more Chappy's back on the road.

Regards,

-Michael

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 5.32.38 PM.png

Just wanted to share the Yamaha Chappy Service Manual Chappy, LB50 and LB80

, I hope it help. Just go to the link and download it

http://perso.numericable.fr/alain.gonzalez/CHAPPY/Service%20Manual%20LB50%20II%20AC%20&%20LB80%20II%20AC%20-%20Type%204RP1/Service%20Manual%20Chappy%204RP-28197-20.pdf

Just purchased two matching 1981 LB50's from a garage sale.

Found my old MA login and happy to see a very active group for the LB50s.

Ive got alot to read, but I really appreciate the service manual, and the info shared so far. Ultimately I do want to add some performance, because these are some chunky and slow mopeds. Alot different than my old 79 QT50.

Any advice or resources would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Welcome Jeff!

Jack Rutherford /

The Chappy thread registers signs of life.

What's a good price for an LB80 in good condition?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Depending on locale, like $400-650? They're much more fun than the LB50, but there is 0% aftermarket for them.

I'm going to guess about $600, but hard to find, but I have seen some people online asking for up to $2,400 with tittle of course.

Gotcha. I saw one listed locally for $975. Thought it was a bit on the steep side. Maybe i'll offer him 650 and give him shit for not having a title.

Oh also can I swap the pedal shaft from a LB50 onto an LB80?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> MPB Andyrew Wrote:

> Oh also can I swap the pedal shaft from a LB50 onto an LB80?

Couldn't tell you, although I never use my LB50 pedals as actual pedals, they stay in peg mode. because the position in pedal mode is awful

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > MPB Andyrew Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Oh also can I swap the pedal shaft from a LB50 onto an LB80?

>

> Couldn't tell you, although I never use my LB50 pedals as actual pedals,

> they stay in peg mode. because the position in pedal mode is awful

Hmm that's good to know. To the snap into a peg position or something? And based on that i'm assuming the pedals don't really have anything to do with starting the engine?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> MPB Andyrew Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

>

> > > MPB Andyrew Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Oh also can I swap the pedal shaft from a LB50 onto an LB80?

>

> >

>

> > Couldn't tell you, although I never use my LB50 pedals as actual

> pedals,

>

> > they stay in peg mode. because the position in pedal mode is awful

>

> Hmm that's good to know. To the snap into a peg position or something?

> And based on that i'm assuming the pedals don't really have anything to

> do with starting the engine?

One pedal arm unlocks and rotates to match the other, than they lock in place like pegs.

And yeah, the chappy transmission automatically bump starts when in gear thanks to a one-way pawl in the Gear 2's secondary gear, so the pedal start is just you using the pedals to bump start the trans.

What jets are you running in your VM20? I have almost the same exact setup except for the Poloni pipe

Dirty30 Dillon /

I literally couldn't tell you, it's been so long. I wanna say in the 120-145 range?

I actually just pulled this over to the shop to get the PW80 motor mounted on it, so I can let you know where I was at when I pull the carb.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I just wanted to put this here for the record:

IMG_20200611_215456.jpg

The PW80 motor bolts DIRECTLY into a Chappy, minus the intake. You can even keep the stock peg-als, although the kick throw is a little weak.

You'll have to get clever with an intake and the exhaust. But I guess that's the fun

Eric Migliorino /

All depends on condition. One that’s in fairly crappy condition but runs I would pay anywhere up to $350/400ish. Decent shape probably $500/800ish. Mint would probably be $900/1,100ish. Just my 2 cents. Not haveBig a title at the higher end is really risky considering the amount the person would ask for it. Start at $650 and give him crap about no title. I don’t know about where you are, but in N.J. they are draconian at our DMV. We are so over regulated here. Figure the cost to get a title and take that off the price as a starter.

The way I look at it, once you get to $1k plus, you can buy a Zuma or something technologically way better. That’s where it starts to not make sense buying.

Eric Migliorino /

> MPB Andyrew Wrote:

> Oh also can I swap the pedal shaft from a LB50 onto an LB80?

You can remove the pedals as they just go through a hole in the swing arm. You can still buy the OEM foot pegs. MLM makes aftermarket foot pegs but they don’t work with the stock exhaust. I’ll have to look at the LB50 frame to make sure they have the ability to bolt up LB80 pegs. I’m pretty sure it can without any modification.

The LB50 is slightly heavier and longer than the LB80 due to the swing arm being longer and wider to accommodate the pedal system to make it a proper moped.

Check what your state requires to be a moped. In Jersey, you MUST have pedals to be a moped, not just 49cc’s. The pedals do lock in place like pegs in case you didn’t know.

Due to the pedal system being mounted in the swing arm, it makes it very awkward to pedal.

Let us know how you make out with things.

Eric Migliorino /

Dillon,

Thanks for sharing! Could you use the LB50 kicker in place of the LB80 kicker? The LB50 kicker has that big bow in it to address getting around the pedal system in the swing arm.

I know one major difference between the chappy and pw case is the pw case has the carb intake on top of the case itself whereas the chappy intake is on top of the cylinder.

Maybe you can seal the intake on top of the pw case and slip a chappy cylinder on the top end? Not sure if the engine studs line up or if the stroke is the same between the two? That would address the intake and exhaust issues.

I’m just happy you are sharing what you are doing, since I’ve heard of people doing this but not telling how they did it. Please do keep us posted as to your progress.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Eric Migliorino Wrote:

> Dillon,

>

> Thanks for sharing! Could you use the LB50 kicker in place of the LB80

> kicker? The LB50 kicker has that big bow in it to address getting

> around the pedal system in the swing arm.

You know, that may just be the answer, I'll check later today.

> I know one major difference between the chappy and pw case is the pw

> case has the carb intake on top of the case itself whereas the chappy

> intake is on top of the cylinder.

>

> Maybe you can seal the intake on top of the pw case and slip a chappy

> cylinder on the top end? Not sure if the engine studs line up or if the

> stroke is the same between the two? That would address the intake and

> exhaust issues.

I believe that the stroke and stud patterns are different, and besides it would be such a loss in output it seems much easier to just make an intake and exhaust.

I'm actually going to chop up the MLM intake I have to build a new intake. I don't know whether I'll be using this weekend's pipe, or one of the scooter pipes I have kicking aboot.

I have to replace the shift selector (very common issue with the PW80 motors), so while the trans is opening I'm going to be modding the clutch in the PW for better stall

Hello all,

Really glad to have such a helpful thread with resources and fellow Chappy owners.

Does anyone know what the stock throttle cable length is? My throttle cable snapped at the knarp on the throttle end and instead of ordering the oem cable I’d rather just replace with gear cable and solder the knarps myself. However, I can’t find the length of the stock cable! As you guys know, the Chappy has the autolube system so the throttle cable splits into two cables that feeds into the carb and autolube.. I only need to replace the one cable that runs to the actual throttle, not the carb or autolube cable.

On another note, I’m wondering if I can plug the vacuum features on the stock petcock.. aka remove the hose and plug the nipples on the intake and petcock for the vacuum. Will it then work as a gravity operated petcock? Would I also need to remove the spring in the vacuum part of the petcock? Or just replace the petcock completely with a simple off/res/on? I’m not sure my vacuum works as intended and seems to feed gas to the carb regardless whether the motor is started or not. After some research I found the Chappy oem petcock has prime/res/on so no off position. And without vacuum, gas is always running.

Hope this makes sense, please let me know if I can clarify anything.

> James Cline Wrote:

> After some research I found the Chappy oem petcock has prime/res/on so no off

> position. And without vacuum, gas is always running.

That means that the AFV ( automatic fuel valve ) is stuck open . An easy fix .

Take it apart and clean it thoroughly .

It may need the small gas rated o ring replaced . It's located on the diaphragm plunger .

Those are available at most decent auto parts stores , singularly , for cheap .

That^ is a lot less hassle than finding , buying and trying to fit a different petcock , let alone having to turn the fuel off every time you leave the bike not running .

Thank you, I’ll take it apart and take some photos.

I took apart the petcock recently because it was leaking out at the petcock and I ended up replacingthe O ring and rubber fuel tap (that’s what Treatland calls it but not sure it’s proper name) (OEM rubber piece with 4 holes for gas)) which fixed that issue. I took apart the vacuum that contains the spring/diaphragm and it looked okay aside from the diaphragm looking a bit worn. I don’t think I saw an O ring in there though so maybe that’s what I’m missing!

Will update after I get some results. Thanks again

Diaphragm seems to intact and the O ring is still good on the plunger it looks like..

7E07DBEF-A519-49DF-A2E9-2D8EA9F58B38.jpeg
699DC727-2E7A-429B-B2D0-2CB1D79DA86D.jpeg

The plunger should slide into it's intended 'channel' without much force , but , still a little resistance . The fuel will provide any needed lubrication .

The channel has to be clean . No high spots from bad gas build up .

'Look through' the diaphragm at a bright light to see any pin holes .

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > Eric Migliorino Wrote:

>

>

> > Dillon,

>

> >

>

> > Thanks for sharing! Could you use the LB50 kicker in place of the

> LB80

>

> > kicker? The LB50 kicker has that big bow in it to address getting

>

> > around the pedal system in the swing arm.

>

> You know, that may just be the answer, I'll check later today.

>

> > I know one major difference between the chappy and pw case is the pw

>

> > case has the carb intake on top of the case itself whereas the chappy

>

> > intake is on top of the cylinder.

>

> >

>

> > Maybe you can seal the intake on top of the pw case and slip a chappy

>

> > cylinder on the top end? Not sure if the engine studs line up or if

> the

>

> > stroke is the same between the two? That would address the intake and

>

> > exhaust issues.

>

> I believe that the stroke and stud patterns are different, and besides

> it would be such a loss in output it seems much easier to just make an

> intake and exhaust.

>

> I'm actually going to chop up the MLM intake I have to build a new

> intake. I don't know whether I'll be using this weekend's pipe, or one

> of the scooter pipes I have kicking aboot.

>

> I have to replace the shift selector (very common issue with the PW80

> motors), so while the trans is opening I'm going to be modding the

> clutch in the PW for better stall

The Stock Chappy kicker will not work with the PW80 motor, as the kicker shaft is much farther outboard than the chappy.

If there's one reason to swap to the PW80 motor it's this:

72d380c3eed54be98ba1aad490d0950a.jpeg

Simply massive clutch. What's even cooler is that it's weight based engagement, so just remove some balls to get higher stall.

02538ebe713042429d7f5a43d2040463.jpeg

Other than this, I am slowly working on getting an intake made for this and getting the shift shaft replacement in. I also had to grab some other odds and ends, such as isolators for the motor mounts, which should make a huge difference as the stock motors are hard mounted.

Wow that's a beefy clutch

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account