Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!!

Yea like you said it looks like the intake places the carb VERY high. (fuel line running uphill.) Doesn't even look like thats entirely necessary. Would hate to hack and weld a new shiny MLM intake but it looks like the carb could be lowered quite a bit by cutting and welding the intake tube.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The MLM VM20 intake is bonkers hi, and you DEF lose the very bottom of your tank. I am cutting mine up to mount on the PW80 motor and it's going to be WAY shorter

Jack Rutherford /

Hi folks,

glad to have found this thread within this forum. I have acquired a project bike, a 1976 Chappy LB50PE, as best as I can tell. I have been trying to restore it as it was in a farm accident, it was run over by a tractor apparently. I have got it back to starting and barely riding, but I see that there are a lot of mods I can make to get this thing to move respectably. I am finding that these bikes are still floating around, but not much for OEM parts for this model, in particular the pedal assembly. I have been messing around trying to figure out how it works, and I believe I have the wrong crank set up on the left side. It seems like a correct Yamaha crank arm, but it seems like it is for the FS1E, and not the chappy. The ability to swing it from pedals to pegs is lost because of this. I am scouring Ebay and other sites in search of these parts, but have not found any. I did read on these pages of people who were removing there pedal assemblies, so I am hoping that some are still out there and available to get this thing back in shape. I am in Canada, so that has made it even trickier. So, if any of you fellow chaps out there have an extra set of working pedal assembly willing to ship to Canada, please let me know!! Also searching for a good working Shifter Cover plate with the lever and stop assembly functioning. For now the farmers fix seems to mostly work. Will add a few pics of the project for ease of visuals.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS, thanks to all of you who revived and added to this thread, it is a valuable bit of reading and watching and appreciated!!

~ r ~

20201013_113716.jpg
20200928_190142.jpg
20201025_113903.jpg

Jack Rutherford /

Yeah i was going to remove the pedals as well until someone told me how to lock them in foot pegs position. Parts for the lb50 are hard to come by. You almost have to locate a parts bike. I have some parts but no extra pedal cranks.

Hi Jack, yes, ideally a parts bike would be great, but have not had much luck finding anything locally yet. I am checking KIJIJI (its kinda like Canadian Craigslist) daily for bits for this project but have not been lucky yet. I have managed to find some bits in the Netherlands that are being shipped, and new plastics and lights from Thailand, so a lot of the stuff I can get shipped, but have yet to find the elusive pedal assembly. The Right side is correct, but the threads are stripped, so I would probably have to have a threaded insert installed if I wanted to try and use the right side. The chain guard for the pedal version is elusive as well. I will keep my eyes open on Ebay, as that seems to have the most variety in parts I have found, but will definitely watch out for a parts bike. I have enjoyed your videos and updates on projects BTW they have helped me with my project, so thanks!

~ r ~

Hi Rob,

I will send you a PM with my info for LB50 parts. I suggest you join Jacks FB group as well "Yamaha Chappy & Champy & Towny" https://www.facebook.com/groups/416632159201684

Some of the guys here are in there as well, are great to ping ideas off of.

Best,

-Michael

I got your PM Michael, thanks for your input!

PS. i was able to place an order thru Yamaha Canada directly, and it let me place an order for brand new OEM pedal cranks. Lets see if that works out!! will keep this posted in case anyone else is searching for this as well!

Thanks (edited)

Do you have a link for the Yamaha OEM parts?

I was able to use the path of Yamaha>motorcycle>1978>LB50PE

at

https://www.riversidemotosports.com/oempartfinder

Let me add all the parts to the cart, and took my money, so I hope it all show up!

well... still on the hunt I guess I got a reply already:

Hey, thanks for ordering your parts with us.

Regrettably, all of these parts are discontinued through Yamaha, and we can’t find a source for them anywhere else.

You’ll see your refund shortly, and I’m sorry for the inconvenience!

Jack Rutherford /

> Michael Blank Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Rob,

>

> I will send you a PM with my info for LB50 parts. I suggest you join

> Jacks FB group as well "Yamaha Chappy & Champy & Towny"

> https://www.facebook.com/groups/416632159201684

>

> Some of the guys here are in there as well, are great to ping ideas off

> f of.

>

> Best,

>

> -Michael

yea, there's someone on that group with a horde of chappys

I am not on FB, so that makes it tough to connect that way. I will keep searching regardless. i did put together an order at Treatland (they have a sale this week - 20%) so I do have a Polini 70 cc kit, a vforce 8 petal reed block, and a new style high compression head all coming! so I will have a few upgrade project on the near horizon. I can take a few pics of the swap out if anyone is interested. I suspect it will be a few weeks or longer for shipping.

~ r ~

Thomas Whittington /

Did you ever change out the stock reed block?

Hi Thomas,

I am still using the original reed block, but from a lot of the reading I have been doing has led me to a worn reed valve with the symptoms of hard starts and powering out at full throttle. If I am going to change out the cylinder kit and head already, it seems like a good time to swap the reed block too. I am going to try it with the original carb to start and see how that goes. I tore the carb apart a couple of time already and poked all the tiny holes clean, and it seems to idle really nicely now when it starts (hard to kick, but i can usually bump start it)

There will be snow where I am for the next 4 or 5 months now, so I have a bit of time to tweak it before next spring

~ r ~

Parts are starting to trickle in. I am looking forward to giving this bike a second life!

~ r ~

Parts day.jpg

He's giving it the beans!!

Jack Rutherford /

dang! something to aspire to.

Holding a very respectable 80km to us metric folk! Doubt I will get there , but yes does give an idea of potential, so thanks!!

My box from Treats arrives today, so I have a few more things to do pretty soon!

Progress pic.jpg

Oh boy!! Christmas is coming early!!

More parts.jpg

robert, i use the stage 6 version of that CF reed set. by all pics it seems to be a replica (if not made in the same factory and rebranded).

i had to relax the bolt holes a bit to get them to line up, which was straighforward.

one big thing to watch is the clearance on the forward set of reeds, which tend to press against the inside of the polini reed chamber. i relieved the casting in that area a bit, but i still had contact that was very subtle. once bolted up tight the pressure pushed the reed housing rearwards which allowed more play against the tiny little reed stop, and i ultimately shredded a reed. replacements are quite expensive.

the final solution was to make a spacer that goes between reed block and cylinder.

Thanks for the solid tip Ken! I will be extra aware as I put the pieces together. I appreciate learning from others experiences, which is why I find this forum so useful and a great resource. My next days off are not until Wednesday, so I will probably be doing the swap out later this week.

Thanks again!!

~ r ~

Is any Champ stuff allowed in here?

Got a few things done today. Ken you were right about the holes needing a bit of persuasion to line up, but the reed block did fit. It didn't seem to have the rubbing issue I was half expecting. I did have a couple things not go as planned. The cylinder head is a good fit, but the mount bolts are now too long for that new head, so using the old head for time being. Finding that the reed block did not help with hard starts. I have had it running with the new cylinder and reed block, but it is not idling now. I just put a brand new air filter and new rubber between airbox and carb. Still running rough. Got some more troubleshooting to getting this thing running good. The old cylinder was covered heavy in oil, but it seems clean as a whistle inside where the crankshaft connects. I guess that is oil from the gas mixture then? The engine sound nice when it runs, but still powers out when I try to start. Might have to get in and replace the crankshaft bearings next. Watching that CDI install vid gives me another big project to aim for. But for now, still waiting for some more parts to arrive from overseas.

cylinder1.jpg
cyclinder4.jpg
cyclinder6.jpg

a couple more

~ r ~

cyclinder7.jpg
cyclinder8.jpg

Project getting some serious traction now! Lets see how these snow blower tires work out. I am going to sandblast the rims and repaint anyways, so see how these serious mudders work in the mean time. They seem to fit in the front fender well, the one I was worried about. Will let you know. I picked them up at our local Princess Auto ( like a Canadian Harbor Freight, I guess)They are 4.80x8 BTW if anyone was curious

~ r ~

traction.jpg

Sharing my ride to everyone...

IMG_20201022_144246.jpg

What a great picture Jon ! There is so much to look at.

I love how much green there is in that picture. I see that kind of lushness about 3 of my 12 months.

The shocks looks crazy on both bikes!

the wheels on the white one, and the disc brakes... looks like you have aftermarket carbs on them both?

Great job keeping them running and zipping them up !!

Thanks for posting!

~ r ~

Snow blower tire seems like a success! Have mounted to rims and inflated to 30PSI and I seem to have no rubbing issues with either the fender or the forks. Time will tell when I start to ride, but I like how beefy they look

~ r ~

tire mock up.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account