Fork swap ideas

Lets talk about fork swapping! I thought I knew what I was doing today, tore off the fa50 fork 1" diameter shaft 7" long, then tore off the fz50 fork swap only to find 2 different sizes of shaft. 1" on top and about 1 1/2 bottom and only 5" in length.

To continue on the same track I could either cut and reweld the head stock from the fz onto the fa. OR cut the shaft from fz and weld it to the fa. I don't think if can be lathed down enough because the the stem is hollow with a ID close to the needed od. I trade a lot of work with a machine and welding/chopper shop so I have access to machines and experienced people. Thoughts?

If I didn't continue down the same road what are other options for the fa50 frame? I like the rock shock look on some bikes. biggest diff is my rear wheel is a fz 12" 5 spoke star, and I don't think the stock front spoke rims match up very well.

Re: Fork swap ideas

Hoosier Dude (Moving Targets) /

all that cutting and welding, you might try fitting a pair of k10 forks on there. known here as "cheap hydro's". I dont know if it'll be feasible or practical for your suzuki, but I thought I'd mention it

Thanks, thats the direction I was hoping to see. Time to start measuring.

Update

Here's a few pics of the k10 forks on my FA50 with FZ50 rims. Some grinding and filing was necessary, not too bad. I'm sure it could be done better. Rides great, steers better too!

fa50 k10.jpg

Question

Where those k10 forks a bolt on affair

Re: Question

Dirty30 Dillon /

Holy resurrection...

They are def not a straight swap. And honestly, now that all the cheap K10's are gone it doesn't matter much. You're better off retrofitting anything else.

Bro I love the look of that bike. How fast is it and what have you done to it

Whoah! $$$ For that price just find a set of ebr forks on treats and make them work.

Ben that's the complete front forks with brakes,rim and tire. And those ebr's suck monkey dick!

Ben that's the complete front forks with brakes,rim and tire. And those ebr's suck monkey dick! Those fork don't even belong on a bicycle.

Checked that out. Those cheap ebr's aren't hydro's. The hydros are about 240. I bought the pccmotors fork assembly its complete. I haven't put it on yet though.

John doe how about fm50 Landis forks? I think they would work nice and the 12x4 should fit.

ivan williamson /

do u know any forks that are straight swaps? I found the k10 forks for 100 bucks on https://www.bmikarts.com/Fork-Assembly-with-34-or-78-Bore-_p_1955.html but idk if im ready to purchase. Did u swap head tubes or headsets or keep it all the same?

Louis Brunskill /

I don't know much bout this.. but anything is better than stock!

Dirty30 Dillon /

You can buy small, more modern dirtbike forks for $100, with a wheel.

The K10's are ok, but not really that serioous

> Rob Policastro Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> http://www.pccmotor.com/inverted-forks-14quot-wheel-xr50-crf50-xr-crf-14505050125.html

I bought a set of those for a project. Note the length of the steer tube. It’s a good chunk shorter than most mopeds. I’m mostly building a frame so it won’t make more work, but they’d be a pain for a straight swap.

k10's are heavy but look good and work OK. way better than stock. I kinda love the BMX look of the OG shitty forks. but yeah theyre not very good.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account