Re: List of people with MVT CDI problems

Did you buy yours recently, Brian? Maybe they've gotten their act together.

I purchased one last summer and ran it and then one at the beginning of this past summer... I put plenty of miles on both....

No issues.. I actually found out the timing settings were much different then other stock CDI's (this is all moby info) 3.9mm -3.5mm BTDC for the MVT. From what I've read the main complaint on mobys was it was running too hot. I am running one at 3.5mm and one at 3.7 mm and have no heat issues.

the lighting coil on these are a bunch of small coils in series and/or parallel. this seems to take all the pounding on the providence roads. the cheap cdi has the single large lighting coil and the winding assembly just snaps from the pickups that it's epoxied to. it then usually breaks the ground wire and boom... no lights...

What do you consider plenty of miles? 1000 or 10,000 ?

I say they have about 2500 miles on the one and 1500 on the other...

I figure average mph with stopping is 20 mph (agian idle time at lights and stop n go). thats about 75 hours of operation on the one and 125 hours on the other.

todd amundson /

This is a MVT premium that I was told was problematic and shelved. I decided to try it so I could have lighting for the bike. This is what I believe I'm being told/understand how I should set up the ignition.

The motors a flatreed so it spins clockwise. The grooved line on the RIGHT side of the stator is the point which when the red line on the rotor passes "fires" a signal.

Therefor, at TDC, the line on the rotor would be to the right of the groove on the stator which means it's already fired 1-4mm ago depending on how far advanced you set your timing.

Now if I spin the rotor using a drill or if the bike is idling below 3200 rpm, both firing marks line up or pretty close, but as soon as rpms increase that rotor retards like 2.5.

SO if I set timing up the way your'e told to the bike will run, but poorly. If your'e not careful, it will even run backwards set at these "factory" settings. At least in my case. In the vid you can just make out where its firing and when it jumps into hi gear. I haven't ridden it very far either way but I found if you set it up with both marks together at TDC it's pretty much firing at about 2.5 BTDC. Should I throw it away

just fully advance n see how it runs. of course send to me b4 trash can.

> todd amundson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

is a MVT premium that I was told was

> problematic and shelved. I decided to try it so I could have lighting

> for the bike. This is what I believe I'm being told/understand how I

> should set up the ignition.

>

> The motors a flatreed so it spins clockwise. The grooved line on the

> RIGHT side of the stator is the point which when the red line on the

> rotor passes "fires" a signal.

>

> Therefor, at TDC, the line on the rotor would be to the right of the

> groove on the stator which means it's already fired 1-4mm ago depending

> on how far advanced you set your timing.

>

>

If your realtor is spinning clockwise and the ignition is firing with the rotors timing mark being to the right of the mark on the stator would be timing it retarded ATDC.

I suggest hue time it with the rotor 2 mm to the left of the Staters mark.

You still up in Sacramento right?

todd amundson /

No I’ve been paroled back to Los Angeles. Sorry about Paradise. I have set the CDI up as you say and will blow it up or be awesome.

Thanks

And a lot of CDs will actually run retarded when below 2000 RPM so if you're looking for the base timing it's usually around 3000- 4000 RPM on most units.

Thy did that so that it would be easier to start the engine without having it try to run backwards on you or break the Kickstart or rip your arm out of its socket when you pull the Rope.

But it shouldn't start retarding until somewhere around 7000 RPM(edited)

^^^That is correct and I have had trouble setting some up becaus I was setting them with a drill that was turning too slowly. So when the bike fired and I checked it with a gun it was easy more advanced than I thought. Something to keep in mind.

But if you always check it with a gun you should be fine.

not feeling the stock mody cdi that treats has anymore because of the flywheel doesn't have the mark on it. It says to use the woodruff key slot to line up everything but still misfiring. also, I've seen descriptions saying to use the large blade on the turkey baster coil with the orange from the box. but as of today when i looked it says to use the small blade for orange from the box. was thinking of getting the MVT mellinium soon. hmmm

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account