Re: Treats piston port VS MK reed kit, A Review

I've been running the Treats piston in my AJH for 2 years and over 3000 miles with no probs.

I know it's close but I haven't snagged a ring yet and at this point I doubt I will.

If yours is that close, why not a wee bit thinner base gasket?

FYI....I used the base gasket that came with the AJH kit.

...or file just a wee bit off the bottom edge of the ring...

How does a thinner base gasket help?

hey guys i'm working with someone right now on figuring out what the ideal dimensions for a base spacer + hi-comp countersunk head will be.

I'll probably end up producing 10 or so setups and selling them as a kit, I'll talk to Dan about bundling it with the kit.

Awesome Graham! When you do the spacers lemme know, I already had Mars™ cut me some heads. I think they sink in 2.7mm and give a final squish of 1.1mm when run with a head gasket. (edited)

Ended up sacrificing a treats piston port 45mm Version I piston. I didn't like relocating the ring pins on the treats reed kit piston and don't mind that the version I gap goes through the booster port. The port angle is gradual enough that it should never snag. Here come a ton of pictures:

Version I piston sits about 2mm below the top of the head surface (not counting a head gasket).

Intake side shots of the piston with an intake window marked out. Gives me 360* intake duration and compliments the shooter port well. Wanted to leave enough skirt below the window to keep the piston from cracking as well.

Drilled some holes in the piston to start with, then went to work with a couple files.

Finished intake window:

Shot showing booster port in the case:

Intake windowwww!:

Compression with nearly 3mm of squish:

(edited)

Kaj Niegmann /

Would the version II piston be better and keep the ring gap out of the intake window?

I believe so, but they're out of stock.

Kaj Niegmann /

http://www.1977mopeds.com/product/50149/Puch-70cc-KStar-Piston-Kit/

77's kstar piston looks like the ring gap is off to the side. But I am not positive

Oh my new piston here I come.

Any one have a pic of there piston after 200 miles or so.

I will post a pic of mine so ya know what I am looking or conserned about.

also mine has developed quite a ridge at TDC in cylinder probably typical wear but i dont usually see it the typical kits i use.

timothy rendall /

Hello! when I was in my teens I worked as a tool maker in a aloy die casting shop and we used to have a die that held the pins in place so they could be cast in so if they are cast in the only why to get them out would be to drill them out ro have them spark=eroaded . i hpoe that helps.

Thanks for the info, looks like we're waiting for spacers. Got some more miles on the 77 reed today. Brutal power in the mid range at 19x42 (korado wheels.) Might try a circuit pipe with this setup for a few extra revs. Check the 1977 reed thread for more info.

My non-AJH Athena came with a version II, it wouldn't even make one full rotation. Snagged on the way down stroke at the bottom of the intake. I ended up using a modded version I too, I also cut 4mm off the piston skirt. Many miles of full throttle and the temps barely crest 300* on hills. I hear that the k-star reed kit pistons work for these too, only downside is they're 2 ring. But they do have the window already. How noticeable was the adding the boost ports?

The boost port and shorter piston raised the peak rpm significantly. Had to drop down to 16x38 to hit pipe. I may have to go to 16x40 to really take advantage of the kit.

Carbon fiber reeds or a 4 petal setup is on the list. Almost have my KTM setup ready to bolt on too...

Hey could you shed some light on the 4mm of skirt trimming.

Why did we do this?

Thanks

Jesse Brosnan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hey could you shed some light on the 4mm of skirt

> trimming.

> Why did we do this?

> Thanks

Probably for more intake flow.

On another note...

Kaj Niegmann /

Are you using a stock 50cc head or a countersunk head now?

High comp 70cc. Could really benefit from countersinking.

KTM conversion with the mini adventure springs is done.

Needs another shim or two to raise the stall, but accelerates awesome. Faster than my dads a55 70cc airsal kitted bike. Even up hills with 16x38 gearing.

Kaj Niegmann /

I want to know more. Still anxiously waiting for mine to show up, taking forever.

What else do you want to know?

i want a dyno print out.

timothy rendall /

Will a moped engine turn the dyno wheel !

Kaj Niegmann /

I'm mostly curious about running it stock. Just using what it come with for awhile. Apart from the reeds, I have some carbon fiber ones instead of the metal. Did using the stock piston work out even with the ring not dipping below? And with a different piston how did it run with three mm of squish, that's a lot of squish. Just curious but I will figure it all out once mine shows up, been 17 days.

Yes, stock piston worked well.

Stock reeds or carbon fiber reeds both worked well.

Shorter piston seems to be working well, but it could definitely benefit from a countersunk head for better squish.

Kaj Niegmann /

So I got mine together today. Casting was actually pretty nice, still had to do some filing though. Anyways, It starts right up but immediately begins revving to the moon. Air leak? or Carb problem? Going to look into it more tomorrow but any advice on where to start is cool too.

Kaj Niegmann /

MK Reed Kit

19mm PHBG

88 Main

40 Idle

W7 needle

40 slide

Proma Circuit

Super Stuffy Crank

Foam Air filter

Polini Reeds

I would check your throttle cable and look for air leaks.

Kaj Niegmann /

Got it working. Going pretty easy right now, not much past 1/4 throttle and it still rips to 40 something quick. My only question is how long will that top ring last if it isn't getting cooled?

It lasted fine with me.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account