Stock Peugeot Variator Mod: How-To

Original post was by johno roberts.

here.

Now is a great time to drop down to 2 or 3 clutch balls and 2 star springs too!

You will need:

bench vice

Hammer/flat punch

cressent wrench OR 32mm socket/ratchet

phillips screw driver

dremel/ saw

Loctite

4x 1/4" nuts (optional)

1. remove your variator from the bike. if you dont know how this is done stop now and learn how your bike comes apart

2. To disasemble the Variator put vario in the vice, flatten the locking washer, Remove the inner sleeves and plastic bushings, then remove nut which hold the vario togather. Disassemble the Variator.

3. now using the phillips driver remove the weights

4. use a scale to modify or change the weights. You can use stock, trimmed, SAE 1/4" nuts, ER3, or no weights. This all depends on your motor and spring combination.

5. Install the weights of your choice using BLUE loctite. I run 1/4" nuts for my kitted 50cc 103.

6. OPTIONAL: I also remove the rubber dampeners under the variator arms. Less resistance is always better in my book.

Just so you know this vario will NOT start to shift till about 25-35mph so make sure you can spin the rpm to variate it. (Aftermarket 50cc or 70cc kit)

"Other cheap mod is to buy some variotop weights, they bolt right in at the same 2 mounting holes that are on the stock arms.

-naz"

Re: Stock Peugeot Variator Mod: How-To

Great write up, It would be great in the Wiki.

I think you mentioned the 1/4 nuts a long tine ago and I have been running them since then on my 70cc build. On my 50 cc they are too light to fully variate so I an running carved weights that Nate of Motomatic built.

On my 50cc I am also running a secondary spring slid inside my stock spring so thats probably resisting the lighter weights.

I have yet to pull my rubber cusions yet. I,m wondering if I would notice any thing?

Any how great work.

Not sure if the rubbers make a difference, but er3 doesn't have any.

My blaster 50cc variates the 1/4” nuts too easily, even with the polini motor spring.

when i made that write up it was hard to find these or other like them

https://www.treatland.tv/doppler-variator-weights-p/doppler-variator-weights.htm

but useing nuts works.

good work jake im happy to see the that write up is still being used. im also happy to see someone update it a bit

I'm in love with this. The pics used to be broken, and I had to figure this out on my own already. But I still enjoyed reading it. Good on ya.

Now let's talk spring/gas shock mods.

That spring seems way too soft?

Okay, now let's talk about obtainable spring set up. Lol

mono shock from pit bike?

OMGMF!

Fish tits Krauthamer /

that monoshock is on hobbit cases.

so sick. thats whats up johno.

yeah that was the notobecane 2.0

Sick. I'm inspired. I'm looking to build one of these this week end. I just need to source the gas shock.

I had one of them struts shoot all the oil out of it on a reall hard long run at 12K .. broke the pipe and just darn bs fun blasting.

charlie, I have 2 pieces of the puzzle if you wanna email me.

charlie.. check out mc master carr.. thats where i got all my stuff.

email me if you have questions

mine

(edited)

This is one of those custom length piece together belts right??? I was gonna buy one from the local bearing house and try it on my vespa...

do they work alright?

the guy at my belt shop said he saw no gains over the power twist.

you actually get less surface area on the cheeks.

a slotted v belt is the best.. you get as much contact as you possibly can.

regular old v belts are just fine too.. but you dont get all the contact you could.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

yeah those gas struts are cheap at autozone like 12$ for a 40lbs one

charlie do it

Oh... I'm gunna...

Bump.

1/4" nuts (about the same as 6mm nuts) works perfectly on a stock 50cc top end with the exhaust lip taken off like this guy did:

(edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

SUper interesting.

The 103 in my garage would definitely enjoy this. Good bump.

I had bad variator bounce with the 1/4" nuts. I like dropping the weight, but a stiff spring makes a big difference.

Annnd bumping this up, gonna try this mod out on Wednesday at maaa shop, great write up guys!

After getting my vario to shift when i want with a polini spring i find im thrashing stock clutch discs.

First the numbs all break off then finally just splits in two...

is there any other option for a clutch other than a clutch pulley? sooo expensive and i have read that they glaze up pretty quick anyways so still not super practical for a daily rider.

I have been thinking about go kart clutches, or maybe doing something with the starter shoes and use a pull start? what have you guys figured out of the years?

So that uses no stock clutch and no clutch pulley?

i have the pull start set up already but im pretty sure a buddy of mine had one of these back when, he would just fold a piece of cardboard and jam in in the belt and pulley to start it up.

I really need to figure something out, my bike is ripping really good just keep blowin' up my clutch discs and they aren't cheap.

That’s the motobecane one that has an idler clutch. The Peugeot version you use all the stock clutch bits

The other option is to do a clutchless ER3 and run a belt that is a little bit too long so that it slips at idle. Might burn up belts a little bit faster though.

damn...thats the thing im trying to get away from is stock pug clutch...it sucks

but seems like i just keep chasing the perfect set up and i have to remind myself its a moped lol

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account