Re: Stock Peugeot Variator Mod: How-To

i've seen some pretty nasty peugeot setups with stock clutches, maybe something else in your setup is off and tearing them up? maybe you just have a bonkers nutty setup? if the clutch basket is warped or something and only 2 fingers are bearing all the load, i could see it doing that.

seems like the next weak point in the stock clutch is the sliding pads where the weights push on the sheave. the plastic deteriorates telling you its time to upgrade your variator.

everything is shimed proper, everything moves freely.

Blasts good till pieces start to crumble on the clutch disc and cause things to hang up.

open it up let the small broken pieces all out, get another 40/50 miles same thing all the way till the disc completely shatters.

set up is nothing too crazy, i actually just tried dialing things back, which seems to be helping with the life of clutch discs but took all the fun out of my bike at the same time.

old set up:

texnix 50cc cylinder

tsm head

19mm phbg

polini single reed

3 balls two star springs

vario weights at about 20 total grams for both weights

(shifting around 10/11k)

polini engine spring

polini sport pipe (powerband isn't till around 13/15k)

i have been spinning 18k down long stretches of road.

new set up:

everything the same besides--

total of about 40 grams in vario

(shifts pretty quick maybe around 5 or 6k)

simonini circuit pipe

before i was kissing 50

now im maxing out around 43, hit 46 down a hill.

really i just want to figure out somesort of clutch set up that doesn't cost 300 but can slip and grab hard for cheap

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That’s the motobecane one that has an idler clutch. The Peugeot version

> you use all the stock clutch bits

wait wait wait, the Pug er3 doesnt require the card board trick?

> Toledo Riot Wrote:

> > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > That’s the motobecane one that has an idler clutch. The Peugeot

> version

>

> > you use all the stock clutch bits

>

> wait wait wait, the Pug er3 doesnt require the card board trick?

OHHHH god damnit why did I ever build Mobys!? thats so nice it just sits in the stock clutch bell so you can start the bike with out all the dumb tricks!?!?

you can get the clutch er3 or the clutchless, which is the same as the moby but with a different hub. the clutched er3 reuses the stock clutch.

yeah the vario is like the only reason i don't fux with moby, you either do a stock 2 ball or you jump in the deep end with a clutch pulley, there is no in between.

Clutchless er3 on a moby is sick actually. You don’t have to do clutch tuning and variator tuning. All in one, when it engages it shifts.

How was your belt waer though. Jake brought up a good point on burning through belts which can cost just as much as replacing clutch discs.

Ideally I would like to find a cost effetive and reliable clutch set up for peugeots

Belts wear the same honestly. The blue thing really clacks around a lot at idle is my only qualm with the whole set up. There is no reason you couldn’t machine a moby var to fit a pug crank. The Peugeot variator is held on by hopes and dreams anyways.

So in theory I could get the clutch pulley er3 and just run off the power of the variator?

Would i need to adapt the motobecane pieces for idle?

I’ve never measured the differences between mbk clutchless, with clutch And Peugeot clutchless variators. Would be easier imo to adapt the whole mbk var over to Peugeot. Getting the belt alignment perfect is the most crucial part of it.

Travis King /

You can run a motobecane variator on a pug crank with no work or special parts. Use one of the stock variator bushings and then impact the variator on. Depending on the variator, you may need a large thick washer or the little cup washer/spacer that sits between the rear variator plate and the clutch ball plate. You put that between the back of the variator and the little stub face on the crank and then impact it.

I've revved up to 12k with a mbk giraudo with no issue/no slip.

Using this general method, I have put all sorts of variators on. Scooter, derbi, etc.

Wait so you use basically ANY variator and the cupped washer that sits first in the stock clutch assembly? I was wondering if the taper of the mbk crank was large enough at the base to slide over the crank and be positioned proper, but holy fuck you rip, Travis.

alright then, who wants to sell me a clutchless er3? lol

No you want the clutch er3 for motobecane. If you don’t want a clutch pulley that is.

So we had an Av10 powered dirtbike at our warehouse before. The FX50.

When you pull the variator off to expose to crankshaft, it was sleeved. When you remove the sleeve, it was a Peugeot shaft!

> Blake MD No PM Plz Wrote:

> So we had an Av10 powered dirtbike at our warehouse before. The FX50.

>

> When you pull the variator off to expose to crankshaft, it was sleeved.

> When you remove the sleeve, it was a Peugeot shaft!

and with that the world descended into chaos

not as bad as opening up a jailing hobbit and finding a necronomicontra spring and creating a portal to the underworld.

I dont want a clutch pulley and i dont want stock clutch.

Motobecane clutched er3 uses an idler Bearing for the clutch function. It grabs when it revs up enough to start to shift.

> Zach Riddle Wrote:

> I dont want a clutch pulley and i dont want stock clutch.

>

> Ideally I would like to find a cost effetive and reliable clutch set up

>

>really i just want to figure out somesort of clutch set up that doesn't cost 300 but >can slip and grab hard for cheap

> for peugeots

three thoughts! :

A:) has anyone tried the XP50 clutch on a single variated machine yet?

xp50clutch.png

B:) you could get a thin, steel clutch plate made, get two fiber plates, get those ground down, and bond em to the center steel plate.

C:) you could try running 6 (or some combination of) silicon nitride balls which would balance out the applied pressure, without the weight penalty.

That xp50 clutch looks intresting. Finding one might be tough though.

I like the idea of making a more sturdy clutch. Or i have been day dreaming of using the posts for starter clutch arms and making a make shift clutch in the bell. I use a pull start so finding a shoe set up and heavy enough springs. It seems like it could work in my head.

Travis King /

Andy (steve)

The XP clutch is something I have been watching for too! Lesolex had one for a moment and I should have jumped on it, but it was only the clutch, not the inverted bell.

That being said, I have thought about inverting one myself then trying to find a oneway bearing that fits the original variator (or even the multivar variator) spacer to crank dimensions to have bump starts.

Will post quick videos on putting mbk or scooter variators on 103 cranks shortly.

Travis King /

Well, here's the inverted bell, if anyone wants to mess around. I think it should fit over the other half of the original variator right where the rear variator plate with the post for the starter shoes. Definitely will take some craftyness, but a good point of comparison.

http://www.lesolex.com/catalogue/3947-flasque-variateur-peugeot-xp.html

Travis King /

MBK variator to Peugeot Crank:

Travis King /

Other variator example:

> jumpsuit steve Wrote:

> > Zach Riddle Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I dont want a clutch pulley and i dont want stock clutch.

>

> >

>

> > Ideally I would like to find a cost effetive and reliable clutch set

> up

>

> >

>

> >really i just want to figure out somesort of clutch set up that doesn't

> cost 300 but >can slip and grab hard for cheap

>

> > for peugeots

>

> three thoughts! :

>

> A:) has anyone tried the XP50 clutch on a single variated machine yet?

>

> B:) you could get a thin, steel clutch plate made, get two fiber plates,

> get those ground down, and bond em to the center steel plate.

>

> C:) you could try running 6 (or some combination of) silicon nitride

> balls which would balance out the applied pressure, without the weight

> penalty.

Funny you mention the homemade discs. I spoke to tribco about this awhile back and they will line a metal disc with their Kevlar( I believe it was) friction material. You will need to machine out a disc plate.

With the right thickness steel plate they have material thin enough to line both sides and get it to 4mm. Once they have the steel plate from you they can machine out more and make as many disc set ups as you want.

I abandoned the idea though.

My problem was I was trying to run without the starter shoes and use a rope start.

I kept destroying discs and locking rings.

I had an er3 set up that was mounted at 4 points to the locking ring instead of two and still kept bending the locking rings and breaking discs.

I was using 4 ceramic balls and two star spring and had the clutch engaging at 6400 rpms. Clutch pulley performance but almost every ride something in there was breaking or wearing out. Even the star spring were getting flattened and would lose their springiness.

I tested out engagement point weights using Delrin balls and was able to get 10000 rpm engagement but the balls would melt after a few launches so there is a lot of heat inside there.

I now run an er86 clutch pulley and wish I would've had a clutch pulley from the start.

Wow its just that easy lol I guess I should just get myself a clutch pulley and call it a day.

ok, that is easy enough, pretty much space it out, then slap whatever you like on there so long as it doesnt have play and it can be locked down....

Now Ive got a use for that spare "kick start" Moby ER3!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account