Didja know? Random moped things ya discovered

I've been wanting to do a thread for awhile about random interesting Moped things you've discovered that haven't been written about on MA yet.

Doesn't have to be groundbreaking, just something cool that might help someone out.

This week I discovered a few things.

Didja know that:

1. Skateboard bearings are the same ID as Moby engine bolt, so you can turn the skateboard wheel down and press it into your motor mounts

2. If your trail tech temp battery wears out or craps out, and tto wont replace it, you can wire in the $6 harbor freight meat thermometer into the trail tech copper plug sensor. Not totally proven yet, but when I wired the hf meat thermo into the tto copper ring, it read exactly the same as my other trail techs at ambient temp.(64 deg at the time). Further testing is needed.

The hf meat thermo has a replaceable battery too, as long as you can solder.

3. If you want to add a bit of end bleed to a side bleed pipe, you can weld a female steel 1/4npt fitting to the end of the pipe, then drill a hole thru the pipe, then thread in a 1/4 male hose barb into the steel fitting. The hose barb quiets it down to the point where you dont even need to silence it. I drilled a 3/16 hole. (edited)

Re: Didja know? Random moped things ya discovered

No one finds out stuff like you do. I don't even try.

JBOT ... Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been wanting to do a thread for awhile about

> random interesting Moped things you've discovered

> that haven't been written about on MA yet.

> Doesn't have to be groundbreaking, just something

> cool that might help someone out.

>

> This week I discovered a few things.

>

> Didja know that:

> 1. Skateboard bearings are the same ID as Moby

> engine bolt, so you can turn the skateboard wheel

> down and press it into your motor mounts

>

> 2. If your trail tech temp battery wears out or

> craps out, and tto wont replace it, you can wire

> in the $6 harbor freight meat thermometer into the

> trail tech copper plug sensor. Not totally proven

> yet, but when I wired the hf meat thermo into the

> tto copper ring, it read exactly the same as my

> other trail techs at ambient temp.(64 deg at the

> time). Further testing is needed.

> The hf meat thermo has a replaceable battery too,

> as long as you can solder.

>

> 3. If you want to add a bit of end bleed to a side

> bleed pipe, you can weld a female steel 1/4npt

> fitting to the end of the pipe, then drill a hole

> thru the pipe, then thread in a 1/4 male hose barb

> into the steel fitting. The hose barb quiets it

> down to the point where you dont even need to

> silence it. I drilled a 3/16 hole.

EDIT #1: Also skateboard truck "cone" bushings work as replacement bushings for most rear suspension. Generic skate truck bushings have a 10mm center hole. Sleeve it for a n 8mm bolt or open it a little + sleeve for a 10/12mm bolt. Also they are much stiffer than your factory rubber bushings and hey! they're colorful!

Next..

i love incorporating skate board parts on my peds ive used wheels as a kick stand stop on my maxi so it wouldent hit my pipe also use um doubled up as buddy pegs on my mondial and the hardware allways finds its way onto my shit cool thread jbot

hammers break things

Skateboard wheel dust when air borne is very toxic.

Wear a mask when turning or sanding them.

My love for the week.

I'm already dead inside.

one cool thing about the wheels especially when using them to mount things is easy access and the ability to use differnt durameter wheels depending on what your trying to isolate in yo mount

I was kinda thinking about one of those "razor" wheels bolted to my water pump then riding on my flywheel.

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

66 chevy nova condenser works as a good moby pts condenser and fits nicely in the stator. Standard electrical conduit and fittings make good proma stinger material. 55w h3 halogen headlight bulbs from autostore are super bright and can be run wo voltage regulator and Never blow

You can layer multiple sheets of carbon fiber to create your own boyesen style reeds. It cuts with scissors, and the holes for the screws can be easily made with the tip of a carbide cutter in a dremel.

You're never finding out my secrets!

Anyway I mostly find out about stuff that's a bad idea. Once I made Hobbit variator weights out of copper pipe unions, but they kinda chewed up the variator.

Terbo Speghetti /

This is a little one, but if you're having trouble finding a weirdo woodruff key on a bike, check a nearby foreign AUTO parts store. They should have every metric size you can come up with.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

ok.

this is a little non techy. but none the less moped

it is usually a lot cheaper getting a new cylinder instead of overboring after a seize.

getting a non titled baddly running bike is way cheaper than buying new parts to run that newly rebuilt newly complete project bike. having a parts bike for your daily rider is aplus.

foreign auto shops are good for gaskets o-rings screws nuts bolts. the porshe guy's shop is awesome to me.

Harbor freight sells a rubber housed halogen truck work light for like $15. The glass pulls out of the rubber and fits in most moped headlight buckets. Single wire, ground to frame. And the bulb base is a common one that you can get LED bulbs for. They often go on sale for about $7.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ Joel Bruecker ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ /

The screws that hold on an oil pump for a magnum mkii can be screwed into the shaft of the oil pump and a pliers can be used to easily pull the shaft out. Built in puller.

rural king has 100's of power rated belts cheap and stick real good too

I have discovered that Peugeots are expensive as fuck to build super fast.

but pugs are the one of the easiest to build fast as possible with no $$

♣Slew Foot♣ /

old tomos A3 rings directly match a Sachs 505 1a's rings. I just found out 6 minutes ago.

woohoo 54 f in january, whilst everyone else was out riding, i rebuilt sally the sachs. rehung the pipe spring mount, dressed the YamaBat's cylinder after i nickel TIG welded the cracked skirt. prepped another bat for spring. all on a weekend.

Red electrical wiring nuts are perfect to plug up ZA50 trans oil fill holes.

campeona del mundo /

a garelli 9 tooth sprocket will fit perfectly inside the ID of a garelli rear sprocket.

8mm shock bushing reducers work perfectly as cylinder stud hole centering devices when running a derbi pyramid reed metrakit made for rd50's bizarre 10mm cylinder stud nuts on a variant pyramid reed with m7 studs.

ct110 front wheels are dirt cheap on ebay and can be easily modded to fit magnum hydros. 110mm drum wassup

oiling exhaust gaskets can keep them from blowing for longer...that being said i never EVER oil any other gasket. clean every surface that touches a gasket with iso/denatured alc and/or hit it with a blowtorch

puch jammy pipes are actually good

Deadped Ryan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Red electrical wiring nuts are perfect to plug up

> ZA50 trans oil fill holes.

Yeah, i found this out last year...

Instead of jetting, doing it the right way, one can easily craft an old bottle cap to fit on the air inlet of a carb which reduces the air/increasing fuel in the mix.

Did this on a scoot after I slapped on a performance pipe, and a milk jug cao fits perfectly on 35mm air inlets. Naturally, an air filter may be ruled out of this equation, but at least you have running engine with a seemingly appropriate fuel mixture.

I got tired of running it while I lean down to hold my finger over the carb. I then tried electrical tape, and eventually came a milk jug cap.

Pretty cheesy I know, but it's all I got at this point......

not just for mopeds, but simple tip when tearing down carbs or engines or whatever. save the egg carton from your fridge. when you take a nut or bolt off put it in the egg spots. do it in order. when it comes to rebuilding, all your parts are already in order for reassembly. piece by piece.

^ That's clever

I rebuilt my 90 Nissan Maxima and had a stack of cardboard sheets with all the various bolts punched into the shapes of the components they belong to. Though it seemed appropriate, my guru master tech friend made me feel dumb by telling me I wasted my time, and the head bolts were the only important fasteners to keep in place,,., oh well

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

The stator side of a motobecane doppler endurance crank is righthand threaded unlike the stock crank which is lefthand so most people end up using a doppler variator nut.

The nut is M11 x 1.0 so it's surprisingly hard to find a replacement at your local hardware store, but toyota used that nut on the driveshafts of some of their supras. You can get them at your local toyota dealership part # 90179-11017.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account