motobecane CDI ignition le partie - ground confusion

Michael Koerber /

I am in the prosess of installing this Treats CDI on my Moby. I have problems finding the right hook up for the black wire with the ring terminal, which is coming out of the stator.

On one hand,we have the wiring schematic from the Wiki, which shows to connect the black wire to the HT coil, like this:

After searching I found a lot of conflicting posts, regarding burned cdi boxes and primary coils for the treats "le partie" CDI. Some people suggest to ground the HT coil and the black wire coming from the stator plate. the original CDI ignition (allumage moryama) for french MBK 51v models suggest this too:

So, which is the correct schematic?(edited)

Re: motobecane CDI ignition le partie - ground confusion

you need a grounding strap to the frame if you want to ground it to the frame. a ground straight from the stator to the frame itself, bare metal, to keep a solid continuous ground. i do it on my hobbit!

If the manufacturer intended to attach the ignition coil and exciter coil to the common then there would not be two wires from the exciter.

ughh im in the same boat. but the cdi does have a grounding loop on black wire off stator, NIB.

This is a hand drawn schematic that I carry in my tool bag of how I did mine. I plan to do a Wiki page with pics of a full install with thoughts about grounding.

On this CDI If its black, ground it to the frame/motor.

Ground your frame to your motor ( the closer to your spark plug the better)

Ground your motor to your frame.

Ground your seat to the frame/motor

Ground both mirrors to the seat/frame

Ground Ground Ground.

And when you are done grounding all that, Bolt a length of steel chain you your rear axel and let it drag on the GROUND

Sorry it's so hard to read and I got some chilli on it too.

Don't do the chain thing.

Eds Moped Shop - Dead Possums /

Wire coming off stator should ground. Doesn't matter where, as long as its all grounded. So, if you ground to the ht coil, then the coil needs to be touching the bare metal of the frame, and the frame needs to be grounded back to the engine itself.

Mine the wire off stator is grounded to engine, then a ground wire also from ht coil back to the engine.

Its all new wiring i did, I don't like to ground to the frame, so I make sure everything goes to a grounding block then to the engine.

(Lighting coil is a dif story)

Yes Ed ^^^

Ask any automotive wire guy or stereo guru and they will you cant have too many grounds.

If you just have a simple ground and it fails the current could backtrack through a more sensitive component on it'd quest to find a ground.

But I do love the smell when that happens.

Thank you!

Michael Koerber /

Thanks guys. That clears up a lot of confusion . Another mistake in the Wiki.(edited)

That wiki is dead on if you have an OG MBK CDI. And thanks on the TREATS le partie. I just got one and was gonna get going on that. CHEETAH!!!(edited)

OK this sparks another question if anyone can help.

I have the MILLENIUM CDI currently instealled however I just updated the ped to an av10. so I want to break the engine in and manage temps to flush out anything like air leaks and so forth. (rebel moby I know I know I SHOULD "conduct a leak down test" ) I plan on swapping out the millenium and placing the $75.00 cdi on the ped to have a non advanced timing especially at high RPMs.

Question is: Can I use the HT coil that came with the millenium setup and use it with the $75.00 cdi? It's all wired in so It would be a time saver during switchouts of the 2 cdi's if I could use the same HT coil.

David Gabert /

Can you hook up turn signals to this thing?

David Gabert /

Cheetah... I love the diagram you have. I'm getting ready to do this setup. I'm going from a 6v system to this 12v system. I'm wondering if I still need the zenoide/bigassheat sink?

David Gabert /

does this need to run with a condenser? If so, what kind? I have the CDI kit, gathering the wiring diagram, have a voltage regulator, and am figuring where to run the grounds on the bike. I was also wondering if I still need the xener diode and heatsink still? since it is now a 12 volt system and not a 6v. Any ideas?

No, condenser and the other items are used for a points system. The CDI only needs the stator assembly, CDI box, voltage regulator and ignition coil.

David Gabert /

Awesome! Thanks Nick!

Michael Koerber /

I finally came around to wire the bike. Did ground all the black wires with a loop on them. Wired in some redundancy ground wires from frame to engine. It runs like a charm. Wired the Voltage regulator in parallel to the lighting circuit. 12V 25w headlight bulb, 12V 3W rear light, 12V 10W brake light. The first time I can see the road at night on a moped.

I had to put thread locker on the bolts which hold the coils in place, they rattled loose very quickly and almost destroyed the lightning coil. No rev limiter on the CDI box as much as I can see. My Moby revs out at around 10K rpm..

Just wanna give everybody a heads up.

Just found this old old thread--I think / hope/ pray it helps me solve checking out the install of a Le Partie on my 77Moby 50V-

Looks like mine was not right- and Cheetahchrome had problems with the diagram in the WIKI like I did. Drew this handy drawing that may be my Rosetta Stone.

Please be the answer to getting my ped running

replace whole unit....it works

Thanks Johnny, but I would rather make sure the wiring is right first. Then be able to isolate / prove what is bad or good.

If I just buy a new one, I still need to be able to wire it up correctly.

So prior to this thread I found :

Original 6v pre-1978 diagrams ( points)

Post 1978 12v CDI factory diagrams

Conflicting diagrams in the WIKI

Need to know how a 1977 formerly 6V system that has been converted to 12v CDI should be wired up like. The diagram at the top of this old 2013 thread may be the answer.

But thanks for the input Johnny - I am such a newbie that I will take all that I can get from the forum! Don't wan tto throw $75 at a new Le partie and be faced with the dame dilemma.

I followed cheetahs diagram above three times and it works.

It would be nice if there was a video out there on how to wire this thing on a Peugeot 103 it would be awesome, it's not the same installing the unit on the engine than showing how to wire it there's just nothing out there on wiring. If anyone out there knows something, please let me know. I really would like to make the bike more reliable, thanks in advance.

you have to connect the matching colored wires.

todd amundson /
IMG_2407.JPG
IMG_2406.JPG

Red from stator to red at CDI

Green from stator to green at CDI

Orange from CDI to high tension coil

Black from stator to ground

Black from CDI to ground

Yellow from stator to lights

Black and white at CDI to kill switch

It's pretty dumb proof. Only thing thats bad is the crank tapper on the pug only leaves a few threads for a nut. It shoves the flywheel way outboard. I used the Treatland adapter and the woodruff key puts you just right with timing.

Mr nude bowl you need to lap the crank and make your own bolt. Makes life easier in the long run

Jesus its not the bolt, it's the flywheel profile. The le partie was designed for the motobecane crankshaft which when mounted there are like 8-9 threads to grab.

But when you put the same lepartie flywheel on the Peugeot crank only like three threads are visible to grab.

Maybe if you lapped for 20 years you might get more threads.

Look here:

flywheel mod

todd amundson /

Anywho,

I made my own nut, used a woodruff key, and red studlock. It aint moving anytime soon. Lap the crank? Are you fucking kidding me?

good write up cheetah

the correct diagram is the one on the bottom, the black/white is the one for the kill switch. i had the same problem a few years ago and then realized that the black wire is frame ground, hope this helps

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account