NOT-A-MOPED: 1988 Yamaha DT50... Thoughts?

Yoooo

So I bought a 6-speed, liquid-cooled, 49cc Yamaha DT50, "shifty fifty"

I bought the bike thinking it was the DT125, as I foolishly didn't check the cylinder markings until I got home after buying it.

The bike needs a decent amount of work. Lights, innertube, probably tires, re-wiring, gaskets, a few bolts, seat cover (foam not pictured). No paperwork.

Treats has a few performance parts for this bike! I think pipe, CDI, not sure what else from memory.

Debating on these options:

- Trade this to someone for an old two-stroke enduro / streetbike (of slightly larger displacement)

- Should I sell as-is?

- Fix / obtain title, then sell for its worth

I have an MB5 I am going to ride til the wheels fall off, so not really interested in this bike. I have my share of moped projects in my apartment as well, so I'm good on those as well!

I just can't decide on what to do. Any thoughts?

Re: NOT-A-MOPED: 1988 Yamaha DT50... Thoughts?

you*ll be sorry if you sell it.

those are fun trail bikes

keep it

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

Yeah, you could take this on all of those trails in Chicago.

Kevin Bishop /

LC 50 nuff said, its a keeper

Aaaah I passed up a mint one here for $600, I have regretted it ever since... I'm an idiot

Those are really cool bikes dude! don't sell it, ride that shit. Once proper fixed, it will run good for a really long time

Keep it!

sell it to me. I WANT ALL DUH 50 SHIFTIEZ

a few swoops have dt50s They're super rad and super fun. keep it.

I have been tryin to get one of these, or a RX50, for a while now. I heard they are similar engines to the YSR's as well. maybe it wants to come to C-bus. ;)

The rx 50 shares a motor with the ysr, this does not.

I used to have one of those when I was 14. its fun as fuck cause you can ride it on the street and on the redneck dirt bike track. also the fact it has gears makes it fucking awsome

^PCP Beige is crazy too. Pretty unpredictable.

† CH∆D † /

Where do you get parts for these guys? Cylinder & clutch parts mostly

Partzilla.com has everything for these bikes! Even cylinders.

Sounds like a rad little bike! I've seen that Pipeburn post before-- sure wish I had the time / $ to do a build as cool as that.

If anybody is interested in buying this from me as-is, I am asking $500.

I got to ride raniels to my apartment... RAD AS FUCK.

I wish I was a douche bag so I could have told him to not bother coming to knoxville to pick it up, but just to give me his bank account number to send him the cash.

paging swoop

† CH∆D † /

DT50 tuner on youtube & your brain will melt

I love mine as much as you can love a non running bike. Sell your mb5 and fix this. 10x cooler. You can throw a babe on the back and womp sidewalks. Cool dudes who steal lunch money ride DT.

ok so i just bought one of these last night, it was dirt cheap and its in pretty good shape... not running but i think its because there was no boost bottle and a giant 1/2" hole going right through the intake manifold.. durrr.

ANYHOW

i was on the fence about buying it until i saw this

'cool dudes who steal lunch money ride DT'

and that pretty much sold me.

wheres the best place stateside to get parts for these? i'm thinking its gonna need a piston, i'll get the gasket set from treats... everything else i can probably cobble out of moped parts.

DAMN THIS THING IS COOL CANT WAIT TO WOMP SIDEWALKS!

no buddy pegs so my wife can't come play

air cooled or water cooled? either way, I'm pretty sure fred is going to be your best bet. I know he has whole kits at one of his warehouses and a shipment of pipes coming at some point.

Graham,

Check out http://www.partzilla.com. You can buy pretty much everything NOS there.

Good luck! Post pics if you get it running.

I still have mine, but sale is pending.

SWEET

mine is an 88, water cooled six speed.. its the RZ50 engine that makes your mom cry not the lame kiddie dirtbike motor.

are they gonna be selling it through '77 or is there something that i have to just call someone direct?

yeah i saw the partzilla thing, kinda rich for my blood, but not bad. good to know they have almost everything except those dumb side covers.

50cc.nl has some of it. Treats has the gasket set so i'll probably go ahead and get that. The whole replacement cylinder is like 100 euros, so by the time treats gets it, it will probably cost like 80 bucks. Way cheaper than trying to salvage the OG one, just take awhile.

It looks like this is supposed to have a battery, duh, does it mount inside or on to the airbox? I am missing the whole airbox and not seeing any kind of battery mounting. I'm gonna just run a K&N wide open for a filter and i guess just fab something up to hold a battery whatever.

so aside from the low compression, missing boost bottle, missing airbox, fairing and sidecovers gone, she's pretty well complete. Couple little dumb things but it should be mostly sorted out this weekend with a partial teardown and un-doing of previous owner kludges.

DT50 L/C and the RZ50 same motor? This what you mean?

There are a few cylinders on SCUMBAY right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-DT50-DT-50-CYLINDER-JUG-/200821327383

http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-YAMAHA-DT-50-USED-PARTS-CYLINDER-JUG-MOTOR-TOP-END-/251075258759

I don't know about the battery, some hilljack cut all the wires on my bike. I assume battery is missing. Will have to check mine out and see--

What's up with people kludging so often?!

eh these things turned into kiddie dirtbikes and got hammered more often than not. the kludging is pretty typical for anything that 16 year old kids on a farm tried to beat around a cow pasture.

i saw all that ebay crap, mine is probably in better shape anyway. i'm looking at this:

http://50cc.nl/produkt.asp?P=10615_CILINDER-YAMAHA-DT/RD50LC-50CC-IMPORT

they also have the 70cc cylinder which is the same thing as this:

http://www.1977mopeds.com/yamaha-dt50-70cc-77-kit.html

so if 50cc.nl has the 50cc version then treats and '77 can get it

or just order it from .nl and wait for it, either way cheaper than honing it and buying new gaskets, piston, rings, etc.

for now i'm gonna try to hone it and run the 'chappy' rings

i measured the carb, its a weirdo, its like a VM but it has a 35mm outlet instead of standard VM size, so i'm gonna grab this for a filter:

https://www.treatland.tv/K-N-RC-0790-dellorto-PHVA-air-filter-p/kandn-rc-0790-filter.htm

or

https://www.denniskirk.com/k-and-n/universal-round-straight-clamp-on-filter-3-in-diameter-x-2-1-2-in-long.p30503.prd/30503.sku

† CH∆D † /

Keep us posted here Graham. This is my next project & it must wait! Though I dont mind "borrowing" your idears for cylinder options etc. Not sure I have a solid runner

yeah the guy (seemed honest) that i bought it from said he had it running with carb cleaner, but like i said there was no boost bottle just a 1/2" hose coming right out the intake to nowhere, so i'm sure it didn't run long.

some kid was obviously trying to 'restore' it before this guy bought it, so the airbox was gone (SICK PERFRORMANCE MODZ YO) and i'm sure its been soft siezed because compression is pretty low. Although probably enough to run, i'm still gonna rip the jug off and see where i'm at. The kid also did me the favor of nicely spraybombing the sweet bahama blue paint job... bummer.

the kicker is also on in the wrong position so it only gets half of a stroke before it hits the foot peg, thats not helping matters either.

Looks to be a bit better than mine, condition-wise. Too bad about the paint job though!

What is the boost bottle for? Is this similar to the Doppler canisters on Treats?

Apparently the carb also has coolant running through it, for more consistent performance? Have not looked at mine to confirm this, but I thought that was cool when I read about it.

the hole in the intake is probably for oil injection. Raniel swoop/locklear/bean/whatever has a complete perfect dt50 lc that Im sure he'd tell you more about.

Tummy Sticks 420 Blazit /

WRONG FORUM FUCK FACE! GO TO A MOTORCYCLE FORUM!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account