Derbi metrakit porting

So I just grabbed this metrakit/airsal from treats. Casting looks good as well as the porting. I still plan on doing some light work to it: Open the exhaust port and polish it, knife the bridges and match third transfer to my case. Being that Airsal made it with metra porting they didnt put the boost window in the piston... Lazyness haha. My question is where should I line the piston up at in the cylinder to make my marks so I can cut the window in the piston. Do I line it up with the edge of the skirt or line it up with the edge of the cylinder bore of nikasil where the side cuts in the piston line up with the side cuts in the skirt. When lined up with the skirt edge all windows are clearly seen within the cylinder. When lined up with the nikasil edge and side ports, the inside ports are covered up about 1/2 way maybe a mm less than. Any and all advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thx

WP_20150215_006.jpg
WP_20150215_004.jpg
WP_20150215_003.jpg

Re: Derbi metrakit porting

Wow. That's some piston choppin

I have done the same thing on quite a few of those kits and it worked out great.

So it looks like by your pictures I should line it up with the bottom of the cylinder skirt not the nikasil bore correct?

Dan, the fine details on that cylinder are awesome. The brass stud hole inserts and the decomp plug are a really nice touch.

What are you people that have done this using to cut the cylinder skirt and piston?

dremels 'n stuff. my cylinder is ported just like that one. i used some cut off wheels and a tile cutter. then i cleaned it up with a small file and emery cloth.

i didn't cut my piston yet. gonna save that for later. i imagine leaving it un-cut for now will help keep it cool during break in. my imagination is usually pretty good.

I would think more lubrication and cold intake mixture on your small end bearing would be a good thing during break in.

line it up with the piston at BDC

If you want to plug the decomp.....did this with a drill press...step bit and a Dremel

I mean the decamp hole in the cylinder, but that looks super good too.

Thanks...I made a threaded plug for that as well...you have good eyes.

Check out the piston internals...I feathered them out to hopefully improve flow into the transfers...have to wait and see if it's worth it :)

That head decomp plug! A++

Is that jbweld in the decomp channel in the head? Nice work!

looks cool, but starting without a decomp is bullshit sometimes. like if your belt or starter shoes are a little wet, or if either are just worn out.

It's not going on a derbi....not worried about starting it.

That is JB weld in the channel...I know you shouldn't use it on a head but it's just there to take up the space...no chance for any leaks.

I was going to tig it but this was a cleaner(and easier) application :)

@Dan ott

Nice work!

Have you coated the squish band? With what? Ceramic?(edited)

Dan did you spin the head in a lathe to polish it?

No ceramic...just dremeled and buffed out...I wish I had a lathe :)

I do like the flexible wet sanding paper from 3M though

that's the best decomp plug i've seen yet, but i like decomp. i valve seat compounded mine. hope it doesn't leak....

if you knife-edge the bridges

don*t they become hotspots?

i have seen pistons drilled just

to lube the bridge, especially

exhaust bridge

campeona del mundo /

had this done by a local machinist for rally/party fun. came out pretty decent and dropped temps significantly

On the hobbit variant after matching the top transfers there isn't match space left for the gasket about 2-3mm. Anyone run into this? What can I do to minimize airleaks? I'm just not sure if it would hold up or not

20150527_143049.jpg

2mm is fine for sealing

jesus christ, clean up your tooling though.

What kind of RPMs are people hitting on their metrakits? Either on a derbi or a hobbit.

My metra ^ is hitting about 11.5 +

But my tach is going wacko when I go higher....so I'm not sure...h95 slow climbed up top to 63 before I had to slow down...if I shorten the header I should get more rpm

With tall gearing on 17" (17x33) - 9.8k (ran tach) @62MPH

Stock gearing on 10" (17x33) - WAY HIGHER (no tach) @66mph

Both unported, untouched big muff, stock intake, sha16.16, points

On my track bike I did some transfer porting (enlarging and kife edging bridges), ex raised to 180* and the aux ports widened to like 1/3 the way up the side transfers, stock decompless head milled to match Puch Gila squish at 1mm, HPI mini, stock length big muff, geared 14x37 was doing just shy of 12k.

revving great, but the power just wasn't really where you'd want it for a dual variated bike with all that transmission in the way. mellowed out the port timing a few degrees and increased compression by removing a base gasket and I'm getting a lot more usable power without having to have wacky clutch springs.(edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account