Re: NU50 Custom QUIET Airbox

Do you like the H95? I wondering if I should buy one versus the standard MLM performance pipe. Anyways, love the air box. Does it really tone down the noise the moped makes?

I will see if this is a project I will take on. Looks interesting.

The h95 is worth about 20% to 30% more power in the midrange. Peoples pipe will come pretty close on the top end to it. If your not racing someone and riding alone, the peoples pipe will do well. If you need big par, the h95 is only way to go. Yes the air box helps tremendously, believe me i wouldnt stick that huge thing on there if it didnt. Wait till the smaller version comes in and i get it mounted, it will be much sleeker.

You should totally post a how-to wiki on how to put an air box on an NU50. Something I would totally do. A quiet ride is a sweet ride.

The new smaller unit came in. Should get it on tomorrow and i will post pics. Its gonna take me from totally geek to totally shiek!

Here is the new smaller unit installed. Its just plain rightous and kick ass! I redid the mount so it now mounts to the bottom shock bolt only and pivots with the swing arm. It even gave me a rad location to plum in my nitrous nozzle. We stuck it on dereks na50 and it shut that loud bastard up tremendously too! He ordered the last unit with the straight outlet on ebay that was in stock. There is still the 90 degree outlet units as an option. This unit take a 1.75" (43mm) radiator hose that we just cut to fit. That size hose works perfect for the mikuni vm20. Derek liked it so much he took off his dellorto red race carb and bolted on vm20 as well. You cant cant go wrong with this setup!

nu50 airbox 001.JPG
nu50 airbox 002.JPG
nu50 airbox 004.JPG

So rad! (edited)

what rear tire is that? bigger that 2.75?

Rear tire is 90/90-14. Got it on ebay for less than $40. Its about 3/4 of an inch taller than a 2.75. Its a got good width too.

David Cox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Here is the new smaller unit installed. Its just

> plain rightous and kick ass! I redid the mount

> so it now mounts to the bottom shock bolt only and

> pivots with the swing arm. It even gave me a rad

> location to plum in my nitrous nozzle. We stuck

> it on dereks na50 and it shut that loud bastard up

> tremendously too! He ordered the last unit with

> the straight outlet on ebay that was in stock.

> There is still the 90 degree outlet units as an

> option. This unit take a 1.75" (43mm) radiator

> hose that we just cut to fit. That size hose

> works perfect for the mikuni vm20. Derek liked it

> so much he took off his dellorto red race carb and

> bolted on vm20 as well. You cant cant go wrong

> with this setup!

I like the Mikuni VM20 with the hose and airbox. Do you think there are any cons if I keep everything else stock with the Vm20 carb and the airbox? I think I'm going to post a forum question about the effects of a bigger carb on stock motor. I don't even think I need it yet. I just like the idea of the boosted air box.

If you are running stock i would stay with the factory carb and air box. The only reason to run this airbox is with a kitted bike that makes so much noise you cant stand it. this box wont offer and performance improvement over an air filter

That's what I thought. I don't have too many crazy plans...yet, until I become a little more savvy with part finding and my tools. Did you have to use adapters to get the radiator hose to fit onto the VM carb or were they the same size? I think I'm going to do the same setup as you. Aesthetically it looks beautiful and OEM-like. I'm just concern about the mounting point and how stable it is for the airbox.

Its stable and wont be a problem. it pivots with the swingarm so there is zero stress. The 1.75" hose is perfect for that carb. does IT cost a tad bit of performance over a open filter? YES...but if you wanna ride without everyone in ur zip code looking at u cuz the noise, its way worth it. if we feel a performance threat, thats what the bottle is for! once i change my crank bearings that is, cux i ruined them with all this performance shit! AND I MEAN RUINED THEM!

Bump because I just bought my first NU50 :)

this is awesome! anyone use any other aftermarket air boxes on their VM20's? I am looking to put one on both of my DR kitted bikes. Love to find a less pricey option. Have been debating using a large vitamin/shampoo bottle and some radiator hose (put filter inside).

actually I bet I can fab this out of PVC pipe and a hole saw very quickly! I'll post if I actually get it done.

Captain Janeway /

Ren

See if you can get JBot to post his. He came up with creative used for big shampoo bottles as airboxes.

thanks captain janeway, great show btw.

love the shampoo airbox, I think i am going to do the same just with pvc pipe and rad hose.

He has posted it more than once. Mastery of the search function will yield all you need to know.

sick

SicK

SICK!

Jason Giragosian /

Hey love your build. I have one like it with no nitrous and I’m having a tough time picking a main jet I have a temp gauge coming off the head and just put a mechanical pump on but I worked my self down from a 150 to a 135 with no difference in performance or temp. Any pointer on a rough starting point would be good I’m running vp110 mixed 5050 with 91 non ethanol

A6B84856-E9E6-4355-9B0F-BA7740D9A8F7.jpeg

This a 5 year old thread and those guys haven't been around for a while .

i don't know shit about wc kits, but can you post a better pic of the disc setup, and is that a 17 in wheel?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account