1980 Honda NX50 Caren - performance options?

Michael Richardson /

Hello all, I recently got hold of a 1980 Honda Caren.

I was just wondering if hobbit engine parts fit, such as the 70cc kit and sports exhaust systems? As people say they fit the express. Which the Caren was sold as in the US?

Any help would be great,

Thanks.

Mike.

Re: 1980 Honda NX50 Caren - performance options?

Engine parts some, exhaust no way without modification.

Dunno the "caren" but nx50 is the express sr, no? If so it's very simular to the nu50 urban express but shorter case. The nu50 intake carb reed stuff works tho, and hobbit cylinders fit. All hobbity kits. The pipes also fit but often impede the kickstand and also require fabricating a rear mount to hold it up

Michael Richardson /

Thanks for the reply! It's pretty much the same as the Express SR but was sold as the "Caren" in the UK I believe. Plus it has no electric start!

Thanks,

Mike.

aw damn, i thought this was going to about this type of honda caren

honda-caren-02.jpg
honda-caren-05.jpg

Michael Richardson /

Ok so I have done some more research and taken into account what everyone has said!

Plans are,

Hobbit 70cc kit

Customise an existing moped performance 2 stroke exhaust using my downpipe

NU50 reeds, if they are better than stock?

A new, slightly wider drive belt, if someone could point me in the right direction?

I understand that it will need re-jetting, and that my stock carb can't be re-jetted unless its drilled out, can anyone recommend a performance or re- jettable carb/intake that will fit?

Thanks,

Mike.

Yes yours can be jetted. Older ones couldn't. Wider belt is a bx26, some will say bx27 but I've been running a 26 without binding.

Not sure what kits are available to you but here the solid best performance and reliability for the money that is simple to.install is the DR cylinder.

Michael Richardson /

I took the carb off to give it a clean and this is how it looks.

I am pretty sure that it is a fixed jet? Doesn't look like anything I have seen before, I wonder if it is because mine is a 1980 UK model?

Thanks for the tip on the drive belt, I will opt for the bx26 belt!

Mike.

Ah 1980, yeah pressed. We didn't have an 80 model here.

Get some number drills or a micro bit set. Or, you can bolt an adapter to the intake and connect a Hong or vm18 to it. I opted for that after getting tired of filling and redrilling.

Michael Richardson /

Thanks for the info, its a real help, could you point me in the right direction for getting hold of an adapter to run that carb? I looked into this with my past NC50 and didn't find much :(

I used a garelli VIP adapter with the holes widened slightly on treatland.tv. MLM makes an adapter also but at less than half the price I made one work fine.

Michael Richardson /

Ok all;

When I first posted this thread I had just picked the bike up and it needed work to get it to stage "0" before I began tuning.

The bike is now on the road and hits around 28/29mph on the flat and is completely standard, the spark plug is a little darker than spot on but I don't mind running a little rich.

I now believe I am ready to start tuning.

Ordering an exhaust from treats would be great but I can't justify the shipping costs and customs fees associated. So I am going to have to make my own exhaust.

I have got an exhaust from a 2 stroke pocket bike which looks to have an ideal size expansion chamber for my machine, as well as pipe bores, so this is where I will start from. Still looking in to carb options.

What is the realistic top speed people have seen out of there NX/NU50? I rode my friends 2015 Aprillia SR50 last night and the acceleration is immense compared to my NX, with a top speed of around 50mph!

If you keep the small wheel, a little over 40-45. You can swap a 14" on and gain taller gearing but lose acceleration. It will never remotely be that aprilia.

Michael Richardson /

I didn't think it would ever be a match for the Aprillia, although the only modifications it has had are a leo vince exhaust and up-jetting the carb. 40-45 would be fine for me, I am only really wanting to cruise at 35 so if 40 is flat out that's fine by me, I think I am more so after acceleration.

If I could match its acceleration up to around 30 I would be over the moon! Thing is, his bike sounds like it revs at least 3,000rpm higher than mine! And it seems to hit max rpm all the time when at WOT (weather at 20 or 50mph) whereas my NX seems to slowly build up revs peaking at 28/29, which I think is hurting my acceleration, I am guessing this is due to roller weights? Considering the Aprillia has 6.5g roller sand mine are the standard ones which I think are around 12g?

I am guessing a decent sports exhaust setup should get me some higher revs? As when going down hill I hit around 35mph and the engine starts "4 stroking" (firing every other power stroke) pop pop pop kinda. Unless the coil is restricted?

Thanks,

Mike.

Your bike is belt driven. There is a whole world of drivetrain tuning you can do to gain serious acceleration, hill climbing and roll on throttle power. In stock trim though the power comes on very low, and the weights in the pulley are heavy to take advantage of the low rpm power. Adding as pipe will best be utilized with a set of much lighter weights to get the rpm up into the range where the pipe really hits.

The common free hack is to remove 3 of the 6 weights in a symmetrical pattern to remain balance. That will cut the total mass acting on the pulley by half, and require much higher rpm to move them. For further tuning, a set of adjustable weights is really your friend giving you the ability to go up and down right away rather than waiting for the mail to come.

Michael Richardson /

Ok that sounds great, I only know the basics when it comes to CVT transmissions but I think I get the theory of how it works!

You say stock the power comes on low, but my machine doesn't seem to pull until around 20mph or so, setting off takes an age. Do you know what the stock compression should be on one of these? My carb, exhaust and ports are clean, new spark plug and new air filter!

Michael Richardson /

Sports exhaust is fabbed up and I can now hit 35mph on the flat, plug is a nice colour but still need to work on my launch as it has nothing until 20mph, guessing I can half the rollers as a test?

Mike.

Yeah give it a shot. Might need a clutch with more slip too.

Try www.50cc.nl. They have lots of parts and They are located in Denmark i believe. Nx50 uses the Same engine/ trans as the nu50 and the spx50. They have a real nice exhaust for the spx50 and Its cheap.They have many engine kits, & all kinda of other parts.

its the same as an nu50 but the case is 2 inches shorter

Louise Hutchins /

We’re can I get this or one similar I’m trying to find a dry way to get to work :) :)

A Malossi 21mm cast aluminum hobbit intake and matching carb WILL fit if you do not have an electric starter.

Pair that with some NX50/NU50 carbon reeds (.3mm-.35mm).

GY6 clutch and some stiffer springs, and you're golden.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account