Re: Vespa Malossi 43mm / 65cc kit instructions (crank cutting)

Ok so if I understand Mikey u would need to at the least widen the transfers. I'm not at all sure about raising anything. Bell s book discusses the methods to do that. The trouble is that the stock transfers at the base gasket are way way small. Maybe Alex can show what would suffice for a increase in transfer size and cross sectional area. I think that's where the mallosi 43 shines.

And when u say stock jug , which speed engine is it??? 20,25,30 mph.

Open up that stock cylinder let it flow.

A9F90E5C-A717-4813-BAF4-9CA15C6B3398.jpeg
8A1E6EB2-B51A-4D45-990D-268EEFA9CCA8.jpeg
55D3A81C-3001-4E20-A1F8-F5707C977E4C.jpeg

These are photos I found years ago

F8528A9E-1CBA-4BA4-AEB6-D92CB43D6E36.jpeg
E3FA1AFE-47E3-4D5A-B917-C61E3DBC607B.jpeg

You might be able to add some ports like this.

37247767-48E7-4F03-9A0A-A2B4DF6F67C5.jpeg

> - Joe - Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> These are photos I found years ago

With the exception of exhaust work, this is what I do to stock cylinders. Current record on actual vespa cylinder(not kinetic) is 48

Mikey Antonakakis /

Yup, massaging stock transfers as best as possible, getting timing to maybe like 175exhaust/125transfer, adding finger ports (like the pics), making/buying a good pipe, cutting crank (I don't have a timing recommendation off the top of my head), increasing compression - and most importantly, tuning clutch/variator so clutch starts grabbing around your peak torque RPM and variator keeps you at peak power RPM, you should be able to get pretty good performance.

Of course you can always do this to take care of most of those steps:

20180225_140015.jpg

Update:

So this is my wife's Bravo. You may recall that I built an engine for it that has a cut crank, and the intake has been opened for greater capacity. Other than that it is like 99% bone stock. Unmodified variator, unmodified stock pipe, unmodified 12.10 carb with an unmodified stock airbox. Stock top speed GPS 29 mph.

After installing the engine, I started it up and ran it with a 45 jet. Top speed: 24. Not good.

Today I upjetted to 49, and got a top speed of 27. Upped again to 52 and got 28. That's pretty close to original, and I think I've hit the maximum benefit I will get from upjetting.

Lessons learned: cutting the crank has no benefit for a stock setup with a stock pipe. Well, duh. That's what was expected.

I also learned that since a stock engine with a stock pipe doesn't get the high rpms, it is less susceptible to running lean. All the riding I did at 45 and no seize. This is backed up by other experience I have with stock Vespa.

Now I need to figure out what is the most logical next upgrade. Should I see what happens with just an airbox upgrade? Should I go ahead and drill out the carb? Should I add the Proma? One of those steps is next, with testing in between. The only downside is, I need a few 50s jets if I wait on the Proma. If I do the Proma, I'll be jetting in the 60s.

Advice and criticism welcome.

Put on a kit

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> Put on a kit

Thanks Marc.

20180225_203110.jpg
20180225_205004.jpg

Or u have to change get all the port sizes for the transfers and the exhaust etc etc

Cristian Luna /

So i just read through this whole thread and I learned not to case match your malossi kit and don't use gasket jizz and you should be ok haha. Im going to be going with the malossi kit for my grillo so this was really helpful!

IMG_5349.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

Oh god, not this thread again.

Why would anyone ever bump this?

Nice grillo tho

Cristian Luna /

> alex . Wrote:

> Why would anyone ever bump this?

>

> Nice grillo tho

thank you ! And mostly because I was laughing the whole time reading it you kept telling them exactly what they would need to do but they wouldn't listen

Yeah thats what is wrong with this thread. 400 posts from some dude rambling nonsense

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

I know this thread is super super old but I just wanted to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge in here. Using what I learned from this thread I put the 43mm Malossi kit on my grande . . . 46mph top speed so far and I haven't even tuned the variator / belt / contra spring! LONG LIVE VESPAS

IMG_6387-1.PNG

Good work! What pipe/varo?

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Oh god, not this thread again.

^^^Hahahah. This was a great brain fart of knowledge. Helped me hear and there.

Don’t ask me how my Ciao is doing.

Bruce Edwards /

I used the coupling nut that affixes to my head and my Techno Circuit Exhaust because it's better to have 3 attach points than just one. I didn't want the pipe to wiggle loose.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Bruce Edwards Wrote:

> I didn't want the pipe to wiggle loose.

Had this happen after forgetting to tighten the rear mount... I ran over that tecno circuit like 4 times

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account