can i use a 19mm intake on a dellorto PHBG 21mm AD carburetor?

Hey guys, I recently bought a dellorto PHBG 21mm AD carburetor from a guy in my area. I plan to put it on a stock e50 (78 puch maxi luxe). I went on treats and they have a 19mm intake. i asked them about a 21mm intake and they wont have it for 3-4 months...As I understand this mate up with my carb, as all PHGBs have the same OD. But will this have any averse effect on performance if the ID is 2mm smaller? Thanks in advance for your replies.

I plan to pair this carb with the proma circuit and leave the engine at 50cc(for now)

LINK TO CARB:

dellotro PHBG 21mm AD

LINK TO INTAKE:

19mm intake

Re: can i use a 19mm intake on a dellorto PHBG 21mm AD carburetor?

Overpriced Parts /

Ya 19mm kinda too big for stock cylinder anyway let alone 21mm.

Do your homework! A stock high torque 2HP cylinder has a round intake hole 14 maybe 15 MM so why would you even want to put that carburetor or any 21mm square intake on.

Even if you could get to 21 mm carburetor to work running really tiny jets and dremeling the cylinder intake hole 21mm Square you still would lose a lot of low-end. A 14 mm Bing maybe 15mm Bing is best to use with your setup anyway. A Proma pipe tops out quick so soon as you 21 mm carburetor would start into the powerband your pipe would die out where as a 14-15mm carburetor when jetted correctly will give you good power throughout the range

But the 21-Dellorto looks cooler though....

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the input Ken. The guy I bought the pipe and carb from made it sounds like it would be easy as bolting it on and getting another 5MPH or so out of it, he does a lot of nice builds so Im pretty trusting of his word, but looks like i might be looking into some cylinder upgrades after reading this. Is there a "best"cylinder kit you would suggest? Im pretty tired of topping out at 26MPH so its time to boost it up some anyway I can.

thanks again for the info!

First get a larger front sprocket as it is the cheapest speed....Try an 18 tooth...

cool, ill look into that. thanks!

Something's wrong if you topping out at 26 mph. I'd look into that first before spending big money on parts designed to pair with other go-fast parts.

Read enough that you're pretty sure you know the setup you want. Then save time: Post a proposed build, have it hacked to pieces by MA, then refine it all, propose it again, and then buy the whole thing at once, and document your steps in assembling it and tuning it.

Puchs are easy to build as long as you know what you're doing, and they don't cost a lot for how fast/fun they are. But you CAN spend a lotta money and still have a bike that runs like crap.

Do not put a smaller bore intake on any carb unless you want to mess endlessly with disappointing results while you change jets, emulsion tubes, slides then back to jets then timing then emulsion tubes, then mess with the slide, look for non existent vacuum leaks then mess with the timing again, change jets then look at plug heat range...

...might be a leap year but why waste all 366 days trying to get something to tune...

The basic answer to the original question is that a 21mm carb to 19mm intake isn't ideal but won't be quite the catastrophe that rebelmoby made it sound like, at least in my opinion.

Going 26mph doesn't immediately mean that your ped has a problem, you might have a 1.5hp engine. Check the hp rating before you spend any time looking for a problem that might not be there. The larger issue is trying to put all that on a stock cylinder at all. This is a bit of a simplification but the carb, cylinder and pipe are meant to work in balance with eachother. You can't radically increase the sizes one at a time.

On a side note, I don't know what conversation you had with the seller but no carb is "bolt and go" for any ped. A new carb will always require tuning at the very least. PHBGs are more complicated to tune than pretty much any other carb, read the wiki article specifically written about tuning them.

as far as "bolt and go" i may have stretched that a bit. Im aware that jetting and tuning is required. My maxi is a 2HP. Ive decided to start with a 15mm bing to pair with the circuit pipe, might look into upping the front gear and see where that gets me.

I will hold onto the dellotro and maybe find a use for it down the road.

thanks for the input!

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

yes

Overpriced Parts /

Jim Herman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> as far as "bolt and go" i may have stretched that

> a bit. Im aware that jetting and tuning is

> required. My maxi is a 2HP. Ive decided to start

> with a 15mm bing to pair with the circuit pipe,

> might look into upping the front gear and see

> where that gets me.

> I will hold onto the dellotro and maybe find a use

> for it down the road.

> thanks for the input!

Make sure intake matches carb size and intake matches shape of cylinder intake

Maxi Luxe: A Maxi with a stock Hi-Torque head and mudflaps.

single speed E50 or two speed ZA50 transmission.

comes in three horsepower Flavors 1, 1.5, and 2 HP

this limits the speed to 20, 25 and 30 mph respectively.

However, these CAN BE modified by

DE RESTRICTING-the airbox, carburetor, exhaust manifold, pipe,

and internal aftermarket and performance parts.

How to build a Puch E50 Gilardoni engine.

wut

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> wut

I’m fucking lost.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account