Randomly woke up this morning at 5am totally determined to make this shit work.
Last time I worked on this guy, I cut the taper on the rotor to bury it deeper in the case. When I did that, it looked like there was no way there would be enough room for the stator anymore. I was pretty bummed after all the effort to cut the rotor - I put all this crap in a box and set it aside - again.
I was laying in bed scheming about making custom low profile windings and testing if there was enough current for the CDI to trigger. I remember reading some good stuff someone posted years ago about light coils. When I got up, I figured this time before trying to reinvent the world I should see how much room I have to work with.
I drew the stuff up in fusion360 and was stoked to find out there was just enough room between the crank seal and the rotor for the standard HPI stator to live.
That meant the next step was to see how how the frik to get something to mount under there. I cant drill tap into the case under the stator holes without hitting the crank bearings. Once I rotated the part I could see the mounts had to sneak out between the windings.
Then I realized, duh, that's how HPI does it with their stator plates. I was able to machine more of the OG stator plate from the back side to clear the case where the crankshaft bearing bore. Then I cut the case mounts down another 3 or 4 mm and whammy, the shit fits.
Time to counter sink some screws for the stator plate to accommodate for the ultra tight plate/rotor clearance and I should be back in business.
Was glad to see that this has taken me so long that there's already a bigger, badder case and cylinder from malossi ~facepalm~
EDIT: Had to lol when i realized this has been going on for 3 years now, holy hell (edited)