Welp, I got her together. All the timing marks on the rotor were removed by machining so i had to start blind. I used a timing light and slow-mo on my phone to try to get it to fire at TDC. One I had it firing at TDC I rotated the crank to TDC and made a firing mark on the fan.
Next, I put a small amount of advance and gave it a shot. It was a dog. Waaay too little timing. I was actually pretty stoked that it would even fire and hold an idol, so I called it a success. Now to get more accurate about timing...
My hand drill is supposed to spin about 2000 RPM so I used this graph and a little math to set my timing at 23 degrees at what I was guessing was 2000 RPM (at the time, I was not considering that the drill was probably spinning lower than 200RPM due to the force it takes to spin the motor over)
That was wayyy too much timing. It got to 340 Deg on the stand pretty quickly and didn't want to stay idling.
When I pulled it apart this time to adjust the timing mark was like 30 degrees retarded. I was scratching my head until I pulled the rotor/fan and found some carnage:
I'll have to build some clearance in for this wire retainer dooder, or maybe flip it to the bottom of the stator
When the meltdown started, I'm guessing it shifted the fan's position on the rotor making my new timing marks useless. I'm now 3D printing a timing indicator that locates on the flat of the crankshaft. I'll use that to make some marks on the rotor so I'll be able to mount the new fan any which way without losing my timing marks.
This sucker is really testing my patience. I look back to the days in Rat House where we'd mock some shit up after a few beers, cut/weld/grind/hack some spare parts together through the night and ride a new build to work that next morning.
Miss those days...