Re: E50 Athena AJH

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This happened

What pipe is that ?

Been busy. Took some advice off a cool Dutch guy on a Facebook group and removed some cylinder skirt above the transfers and matched the piston made it a bit wider. Took the transfer skirt from 9mm to around 4mm or slightly less once made smooth

More torque throughout the entire range and was pulling better at 9000rpm

73D4DE1C-6EAC-4B16-8595-06F0F6447772.jpeg
D4200D33-1A3C-4BFF-93FC-DD93F82DA1D2.jpeg
FA577718-0544-47E2-B9D6-6ADCEAA53FF9.jpeg

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

I go a fuzz deeper to get the juice in around the pin.

> Ana L. of the Aurora Roras Wrote:

> I go a fuzz deeper to get the juice in around the pin.

Any advice about shape of the skirts either side of the transfers.

Next week (literally) I’m wanting to take it apart (leaky base gasket)

Going to remove a couple more mm from the side of the transfer skirt and will go a bit further on the piston now :)

Charles McCusker /

Interested to see how this keeps progressing. Just got my DMP AJH right enough to rip, only have a funny clutch/pipe lack of overlap at around 8k. still on a stock un braced two shoe.

running tm24(175 jet), upgraded reeds (can't remember the setup right now), hpi mini @17* (i'm pretty sure), two shoe/blue springs 2.5 turns in. squish is at 1.2mm with counter sunk head 3mm and raised cylinder 3mm. Simo pipe. 14/40 gearing.

Grabbing an easy 55mph in 90 degrees f 70% humidity, smashes hills, runs a hair hot at 370* and turns 12700rpms.

I'm fine with the speed, just like to work on clutch to remove the only hesitation in acceleration right before it hits the pipe at 8k. get temps down, but it will cruise cool doing 40mph before the pipe hits so it's a good group rider too. I'm still new to the kit and just got it running decent, so I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement.(edited)

It’s an old Proma pipe I got on cl for some kid located in warside. Mad nice kid, I was supposed to pay $20 but he only took $10!

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-proma-GP-p/puch-proma-gp-raw.htm

Been attacking the tranfers on the jug itself. First I took the 9mm~ Skirt above the transfer to 4mm. Realised this mod was great and took the whole side off !

More power all over the range. Glad I did this instead of widening the exhaust

Did the whole job using beta brand burrs in a copy dremal and a set of diamond needle files for finishing

6B0BC949-C266-480B-B0CC-15B0DD60095F.jpeg
0CBF99C0-B5B4-4380-9993-0636FA2F55B2.jpeg

Has anyone opened the piston window more to match the intake port? What about the single ring piston? Stroker crank? I think a bigger carb might help! The small mlm intakes are holding it back.

I’m running Fiberglass reeds, I need to swap over the carbon.

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> Has anyone opened the piston window more to match the intake port? What

> about the single ring piston? Stroker crank? I think a bigger carb might

> help! The small mlm intakes are holding it back.

>

> I’m running Fiberglass reeds, I need to swap over the carbon.

Yes me! My piston window is longer and matched to the narrow boost port on the cylinder.

I’m running modified Athena ajh piston.

Big boy intake 27mm I.D. 24mm carb.

I’ve thought the 45mm +2 stroker crank would work well with the AJH.

Bit of 5/8” aluminium plate makes for a perfect 8 petal spacer

yeah i always do that mod on the 'treats reed' aka tomos alukit 45 mm 2 petal kits, they have that same weird design where they come way down... JBot has posted about doing this too, i think it makes a huge difference but i've never done a really good straight up back/back comparo

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> yeah i always do that mod on the 'treats reed' aka tomos alukit 45 mm 2

> petal kits, they have that same weird design where they come way down...

> JBot has posted about doing this too, i think it makes a huge difference

> but i've never done a really good straight up back/back comparo

I’ve seen jbot posting about making some pistons into 360’ intake duration by extending the piston window towards the piston crown.

The back to back comparison is I had to upjet to 165. And advance my ignition the tiny bit as my compression dropped due to removing material (also a suggestion of jbots from another thread) runs upto 11krpm perfectly once on the power at 8k it reaches 11k within 10 seconds. Lots faster pickup. Max temps 330f

Charles McCusker /

Adam, where is your timing currently set at? I'm seeing higher temps than I'd like. Cruises well but temps sit around 320-340 cruising, but if I get into the real power for any extended time temps climb to 370. Maybe that will be fine after a lot more miles, but I want to say I have only about 7hrs on the motor. So ya, I'm thinking on backing off timing. My light says I am at 17* btdc but it's an old cheap light so I don't trust it at all.

> Charles McCusker Wrote:

> Adam, where is your timing currently set at? I'm seeing higher temps

> than I'd like. Cruises well but temps sit around 320-340 cruising, but

> if I get into the real power for any extended time temps climb to 370.

> Maybe that will be fine after a lot more miles, but I want to say I have

> only about 7hrs on the motor. So ya, I'm thinking on backing off timing.

> My light says I am at 17* btdc but it's an old cheap light so I don't

> trust it at all.

I'm using a kokusan igniton with a box with a 5' curve so its quite different,

my advice would be put a larger reedblock in, my bike dropped 40-60f across the range once i put a larger reedblock in.

rocco taco's aproach is cheap and cheerful.

and your earlier comment about missing power around 8k if you do the removing that transfer side even just half-way sorts that problem massivly my bike had similar issues about coming onto the pipe around 7.5k but now with the last few tweaks its all come together and is really impressive!

Charles McCusker /

I have the HPI mini rotor with the curve, and already have the larger 4 petal reed block in (haven't played with the dual stage reeds yet). I wouldn't say it feels like it's down on power with a flat spot at 8k I think is related to when the clutch quits slipping and when the curve comes on the pipe, but you could very well be 100% that I need to play with that transfer window on the skirt.

I was just asking on the timing just because that's the next thing I want to go back to and it would be good to have someone else's data to compare it to. Would like to try that before pulling the cylinder and cutting the skirt. Definitely want to try cutting the skirt/piston though.

> I was just asking on the timing just because that's the next thing I

> want to go back to and it would be good to have someone else's data to

> compare it to. Would like to try that before pulling the cylinder and

> cutting the skirt. Definitely want to try cutting the skirt/piston

> though.

which clutch are you using ? mine only slips to 6k~

Charles McCusker /

Still on an non-lightened/braced 2 shoe with blue springs. Was thinking of going 3 shoe braced.

> Still on an non-lightened/braced 2 shoe with blue springs. Was thinking

> of going 3 shoe braced.

Just a FYI but i doubt its you clutch not locking in untill 8k rpm, my guess would be it locks in around 4-5k with blue springs

im waiting for treats to have the jammer clutches to try one of thoose

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

Nice job!

Charles McCusker /

I'd believe that. I'm not expecting timing to fix that odd rpm spot, and it definitely sounds like the skirt mod will be the ticket, especially since you were seeing the same thing. thanks for the feedback.

> Ana L. of the Aurora Roras Wrote:

> Nice job!

Thanks.

wicked fast, thats my set up on a za50, but drop the carb size down to 19mm.

> Jason Ford Wrote:

> wicked fast, thats my set up on a za50, but drop the carb size down to

> 19mm.

It’s a great setup, probably even better on a za50 , I’m some nearly Β£250 in tuning on the carb getting the needle right and needle jet. Plus I have a manifold for Mikuni, it would be quite an upheaval to change it now. Have you had yours on a dyno?

> Adam Smith Wrote:

> > Charles McCusker Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Adam, where is your timing currently set at? I'm seeing higher temps

>

> > than I'd like. Cruises well but temps sit around 320-340 cruising, but

>

> > if I get into the real power for any extended time temps climb to 370.

>

> > Maybe that will be fine after a lot more miles, but I want to say I

> have

>

> > only about 7hrs on the motor. So ya, I'm thinking on backing off

> timing.

>

> > My light says I am at 17* btdc but it's an old cheap light so I don't

>

> > trust it at all.

>

> I'm using a kokusan igniton with a box with a 5' curve so its quite

> different,

>

> my advice would be put a larger reedblock in, my bike dropped 40-60f

> across the range once i put a larger reedblock in.

>

> rocco taco's aproach is cheap and cheerful.

>

Hahahaha thank you dawg! I remember watching some guy on motortrend that was talking about on how he was adding hp to engines with porting and would use cardboard gaskets to seal everything up for a few passes.

I like working with junk cranks and stuff

Right now I’m running:

(Used stuffed crank that has been unstuffed)

Used bearings & seals ( some blue locktie around the seals :)

Chines Clone 4 petal reed block with fiber glass reeds

Used cdi puch adventure ignition from the butcher

No porting to the cylinder expect for the intake to make room for the reed block.

runs good the top end is just stupid even with 18 x50 gearing

I wanna work on it more and make some more power baby!

The could definitely work on the cylinder more, my tranny is suffering, I need to make a ktm clutch bell.

And it’s case matched but I used jbweld on the sides where I was worried about leaks. It’s probably has air leaks but I don’t know

And I got a pietcard so I thinking timing might retard or advance not sure will check later(edited)

Ken: "I meant dumb slow large km numbers that sound fast but aren’t nothin

55-60 km is not 55-60 mph

You want high mph number more then the same amount in km"

giphy-30.gif

(edited)

Don’t know if this will help anyone but Imma post it anyway as I found the piece of paper again.

This was my experience shimming a dmp race crank.

All measurements in mm

Top was stock and the bottom was where my shimming ended up.

CBA75819-49E5-40C6-9BFA-850D0473B66D.jpeg

I Did some research and found out that am6 reed blocks were first used on KX85.

I have a monster KX85 carb sitting in a box, might try to install it on the kit lol.

Terbo Speghetti /

You need some forks before you need a kit/pipe/mikuni. Please don't kill yourself.

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> You need some forks before you need a kit/pipe/mikuni. Please don't kill

> yourself.

This bike covered 1400 miles, it's unused right now.

i have a tomoas at50 wheel with a brand new solid disc and a brembo caliper and master cylinder and leaver from a yq100, i was getting ready to disc brake the front, but i got a new job and now dont use it daily so it's fallen to the back of my mind

Updates!

so i'm finally going case inducted, started removing all the material, got some alu-sol on the way, going to try to use a thick slab of alu, but if i need extra height for the reedblock, i may take inspiration from jbot and hollow out a block of alu to create space for the reeblock.

unsure if i'm going to be able to use my am6 8 petal reeds my try to find an alternative that has some sort of 90 degree inlet to use.

case induction 1.jpg
cas induction2.jpg
cas induction 3.jpg
« Go to Topics β€” end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account