Huge power = strong spring needed

Re: Tjt treatland steel hobbit rumpus plate

Dirty30 Dillon /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> But a gila makes a ton of power.

>

> Huge power = strong spring needed

True, too light of a spring could cause an un-controlled, fast variation.

Maybe time to start looking at the Amish Gold spring, or maybe some scooter stuff.

I read through that entire progressive rate contra spring thread. I think that's what I wanna try next. Was also thinking about trying the stock contra with like 7 or 8 g weights and seeing what happens. But I do feel like the contra spring needs to be strong enough to stretch out that variation, and if I'm having it variate too quick with red spring idk if that would cut it.

I blew up another fuckin unobtainium clutch yesterday so it's all kind of on hold for a minute. The next thought is getting a 105mm scooter clutch and bolting that to the old clutch hub after lathing it down.

So in my logic, a clutch for a 107mm bell has actual diameter 104-105mm. So I bet one for a 105mm bell has diameter 102-103. If I can get it centered on point and the bell spins freely, then there would just be less throwout distance for the shoes to engage the bell? In my head that means less fatigue on springs n shirt but the other concern is the shoes potentially dragging.

DONT DO A SCOOTER CLUTCH

won't work. Tried it.

It's not meant for crank mount. Will engage at low Rpms even with super strong springs. It's meant to spin and engage at 1/3 the crank speed.

Just cut a new taper in the pa1 clutch to fit the derbi crank. I've never destroyed a hobbit clutch and I run em at 8k all the time

if you use a hobbit clutch,

Remove the rubber nubby guys.

You can use some Air or fuel tubing over the metal nubs if you want.

Those stock rubber pieces cause the arms to bow out horribly with strong springs. It destroys clutches.

As well, add 2 or 3 sipes in each shoe, really helps with nice engagement

Truth, I didn't think about rear shaft vs crankshaft rpm reductions. I 'should' get a start v but that's another expensive rabbit hole to go down.

You do a good sell on the Hobbit clutches...

but the many puch clutches I've bent posts on kinda make me want a brace if I'm doing some stupid shit. I've been looking at that Malossi Delta clutch. Some scooter forum said the shoes on that are 110g each, i bet if I could get that down to the 70-80g range that'd play nicer. I needa weigh the derbi shoes and see what those are at and if that would get me in the ballpark. Other than that, spring rate is spring rate. The same thickness and coil count would need the same amount of force to move it, right? The same mass of shoe would exert a similar amount of force against that spring rate.

If the derbi shoes are wayyy lighter then yea it sounds like hobbit clutch is what's up

But I did measure a vino clutch the other day, that was 102mm and fit in derbi bell fine

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have the Polini Evolution 3G scooter clutch for my Sacre motor build and it's lightened/high sprung but I still think that spinning on a crank will create super early engagement.

Abdiel Gonzalez /

Red Contra+15grams+Rumpus plate= less acceleration

TJT plate+Red+15g = hold on tight. But I can't stay in the power band with this new kit with either. I experience RPM drop. Like going from 2nd gear to 4rth in a car.

Going to experiment with the yellow and stock spring. 2.75 rear tire and MLM subframe is preventing me from pushing in the tire to give the belt some slack could be one issue. (might need a tad of slip?)

Red + rumpus is too much.

Yellow or stock + rumpus = niccce

Abdiel Gonzalez /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Red + rumpus is too much.

>

> Yellow or stock + rumpus = niccce

Ok done testing. I put in the stock spring and went to a drive. I can report that I lost acceleration vs Stock TJT ramp.

Red or Stock spring either way TJT ramp out performed.

13.5 grams

TJT > TreATS

You have to adjust weights after you swap springs. Did you try going lighter, cuz you gotta

I've had bikes where the tjt stock plate worked better, usually lower power bikes, 50cc way ported hobbit, 50cc ported derbi.

The rumpus plate shines with race gears, very powerful kits, and mostly stops overvariation.

It's a great piece of work

Abdiel Gonzalez /

I tried with race gears also (I have 2 transmissions..1 with Race/TrickMetric and 1 with stock gears)

I got rid of most of the RPM drop now with TJT ramp+13.5g (down from 15g)+Red Contra and a older stretched stock belt. Still breaking her in.

One lightly used Rumpus plate soon for sale :)(edited)

This shits rowdy.

I got a stage6 minarelli horizontal clutch to work, kind of a pain in the ass for the performance. Bolted it to the cut down old clutch hub, lathed out the bell, lightened the shoes to 75g from 99g, cranked down malossi mhr black springs. Doesn't engage super high but it doesn't drag at idle. The clutch is for a 107mm bell and mine is at like 105.8, I don't wanna go any further for fear of the bell wall being too thin, but that's where I could pick up more stall. I have my rear pulley lathed down to close fully so that gear ratio is so low that early clutch engagement isn't a problem, probably helps it be more streetable.

Fresh red contra, 7.5g weight, rumpus plate. Variates at like 10.5k ish and pops wheelies. Haven't gpsed it for a minute but was getting low 60s before.

My rear pulley bushing started to push itself out, preventing the pulley from closing fully. Found a flanged bushing at ace I was able to make work.

im playing around with the polini variator right now. she's just slipping with the red spring at 12g, put the stock spring back in and she rips pretty well.

jumped up to 18g and she's doing much better but only topping out low 50's - whereas with the tjt / treats plate at 6g (i think? maybe 12... but i think im at 6g) and stock springs she RIPS and hits 60. I feel like i can crack the red spring (running treats endurnce belt btw, stock hobbit springs and the straight cut trans gears) with increasing the weights in the polini variator... might jump up to 22g in the polini or so and see what happens w/red spring

i like the polini variator better but it's a lot harder to tune. it's smaller then the tjt and with my tjt on the crank it has some wobble...which will cause issues down the road, where-as the polini spins straight :)

will report back

Variator stats

Stock: 254g 89mm

Camino: 214g 83mm

Polini: 275g 95mm

TJT: 388g 102mm

Fixed side: 95mm

D35E606D-93F6-4DAF-B6AB-A146B83BD755.jpeg

^ fuck yeah, wiki this

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> ^ fuck yeah, wiki this

Not sure now to do that

Ride today w the polini. 5gr rollers, stock contra and stock belt. Very smooth across the entire range. The notched variator resulted in two hits, one at mid range and one top end. Shift point is around 6000 rpm. Probably going to drop roller weight a few grams and get the shift closer to 8000 rpm.(edited)

« Go to Topic — end of thread