Re: Yamaha RD60 Megathread (Shifty50 content)

Man I want that.

At one point I helped a friend with his RD60. It was a YSR50 swapped bike, which bolts directly in. We ordered the base setup pipe, carb, reed, combo from Team Calamari and it was just perfect. Super fun, would build again.

20150831_173133.jpg
20150831_173204.jpg

I love these yams. I used a blue 73 RD60 as a daily driver and rally thrasher around the east coast years ago. With it getting whored out on my sabbatical. I had a ysr50 pipe and complete motor that I was going to use the electronic ignition and intake setup but Emery LGN broke it ;). Lol. No hard feeling. I think the YSR motor is on a moped somewhere in kc and I traded the rd for a gas shielded mig. Priority at the time. Such is life. I missed every second that I spend without my beloved bone stock RD60. I have since got a bike that I find slightly superior but only in its stock form. I never put the pipe on the rd so top gear was severely limited. Here is my gaucho. Bone stock. 12mm carb and I’m gonna give my skinny ass 60mph on a slight downhill ;). Little upswept expansion to make top gear usable too. And I think it has one more gear than the rd. I’m after Eric LGNs ts125 to round out my collection. My big boy rd phase did not end well. I affectionately refer to them as death traps bc of a rd250 with 350 jugs and no disc brakes that I called sweet potato based on its color. Get it yam?(edited)

B72AF551-E6E1-469D-8A3B-E41D9E35591B.jpeg

It shares the headlight ring with a chappy! Sorry bob

Also these things are indestructible. I had removed and plated the oil injector and emery was notorious for his gatoraid mix during those dark times. Treats sells a 70cc kit and that’s how mine eventually got back on the road. Always hated the Derbi crowd correcting my use of rd60...

Also, I do not think there is such thing as a rd50. Not the mx just a rd50. I have seen aftermarket decals made for an RD60 that say rd50 and parts marketed to rd50 but never actually seen one and do not think they exist. Fight me. I will trade everything I own for a fizzy with pedals in the Midwest. That is all.

RD50 was Europe. None in North America.

You’re referring to the fs1 I believe. Fs1a is the greatest ped ever created and the version with pedals. I’ll get out of the game when I find one.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Nah, there is an RD50 that is very different from the FS1.

Rd50 is a real bike. Same engine but 50cc. Rd50mx is a different bike but same engine. Rd60 is like rd50 but slightly larger bore. I've owned all three versions and a 4th dual variated rd50mx. They all were (except rd60) available with pedals.

I’m actually really thankful you guys are clearing my head on this. This was the conclusion that I came to looking for performance/cross over parts 5 years ago. Can I see an rd50? I’ve only seen decals. Assuming it will have the front engine supports like the RD60 and not open like the fs1

__7390537_orig.jpg

They came in a few forms. Some with the shorter seat like you see on rd60. Some with drum brakes. Some with mag wheels.

Awesome! And a disc. I had that exact blue color scheme but youre right, a solo seat. This is the only pic I could find of mine but somewhere I have a beautiful one next to a cannon in PA. Always a huge fan of the rear seat cowl. Do you see them come up for sale in Europe? We fairly routinely see RD60s for sub $1000 needing work.

They ride like a moped compared to an mb5 and that’s what I always liked.

EC2DD6A7-F05C-402D-996C-57BD21FB3927.jpeg

you got a pic of that dual variated thingy? the rd50mx have sick fairings imo

> Blake MD No PM Plz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Rd50 is a real bike. Same engine but 50cc. Rd50mx is a different bike

> but same engine. Rd60 is like rd50 but slightly larger bore. I've owned

> all three versions and a 4th dual variated rd50mx. They all were (except

> rd60) available with pedals.

another pic of mine since it's been a minute. all stock except for a 1st overbore piston and cylinder.

IMG_20171211_160951.jpg

fa75e578bddb90cfb35039be7a7d9319ee8b439933260.jpg

Scooter style variators under the cover. I can get a photo of what's under the cover tomorrow.

When Treats was having their 15% off sale last week I ended up picking up a few preformance parts for my mostly stock rd60. I grabbed an expansion pipe initially, but once I realized my stock pipe was rusted to the cyclinder head, I said screw it and bought the airsal 70cc big bore kit too. Now im wondering, will a simple rejet be fine or will I have to upgrade to a bigger carb all together?

Attached is a pic of the bike in question when I first got it, looks a little different now,, ill have to get an updated picture

00x0x_5hy7fbv0uZo_1200x900.jpg

Here's two videos of mine on a day recently when it wasn't funding snowing here

IMG_20200422_214104_451.jpg

Here's two videos of mine on a day recently when it wasn't fucking snowing here

IMG_20200422_214104_451.jpg

'funding' damn you autocorrect

Well i put the 70cc kit on and a 22 ‘mm carb.. the stock 16mm carb just will not do it .

Get a mic copy they are $40 and work 22mm

My RD is a screamer .. can’t wait to put the 15 tooth sprocket on it’s going to hit 70mph no problem.. i’m sealing the Tank it’s got pin hole leaks ..right now .:(

.. The RD 50 never came out in the EU till 1977 the year the government clamped down on sport mopeds that where doing 60 /70mph they resticked them all to 30mph that’s when the RD 50 came out with a nice tail like RD 250/400 and mags and disc brakes .. sales fell off 80%on mopeds so they really tried to make cool looking bikes The RD 50 was one ,, but it failed .. the moped good times where done .

I know cos i was 17 and there

Me and these guys 1976/79 moulsham motorcycle club ..

we where on the way to brans hatch to see kenny roberts and barry sheen ..

First hand knowledge of the biggest time of moped sales in EU :) punk rock . and lots of beer

Oh my 76 yamaha FS1E flat out new 50mph but after a spanny and rotory work big jets and sprocket change it did 70mph down big hills :)

4A059472-74BA-48D0-85E0-3E6DB2E9D46A.jpeg
0153E0DC-7673-41CF-9E5B-C9D20BE58A5E.jpeg
729CE3FE-19B3-46C9-9F14-612D37983BE6.jpeg

Ted Kenny those pics are amazing

I sorta think this is on topic but know I’m talking to the right crowd.

Pretty much my longest running project has moved from my “has potential” pile to the front porch in hopes of baiting a neighbor to swap the fresh gazelles for me in exchange for the rest of the bike. It’s a 1967 YL1 that was running extremely rough 5 years ago with electrical issues. This is the bike that likely started it all but someone might be able to school me on that. Obviously the reeds were also a defining moment.

People have done some cool things with puch kits actually! Strokes and bolts are the same but that’s a different topic.

I was hoping the knowledge in this thread might be able to point me to a new ignition system. It’s runs on a very dated generator system finicky at its best. I was hoping for something that would crossover from the later twins or maybe an atv so I might spark some life into my project. I love the yams for eBay crossovers and think an aftermarket rd350 ignition would prolly work but they are way too pricey for a ped project.

630AF69A-CF69-4A93-890F-D28E3D83C003.jpeg

omg i was given one of them years ago .. it’s a 100cc i think .. i took the tank off and sold it to a guy in the UK and put the yamaha G7s tank on .. same tank as a 72 to 75 fizzy ..

it is a bike that was raced big time in japan .. they have 125cc top end that fits on ..

i had great pics of them in the 70s with spannys and fairing racing 100mph and more ..

lost all that info ..

as for the ignition.. i tune 50cc up to do 80 mph and still run points .. if they are set right and the cam lubed up the gain for CDi is not that big .. on older bikes ..

now with mapping on the new bikes it’s a different story.

normal 1.8 on most yams .. 1.6 good for top end .. but a bitch to start on a kick start .. so roll bump start .. 1.9 /2.0” for low power . easy start .. 2.5 for a quick hole in the piston :) .. you got to get it right ..

As for the pic .. the 22mm carb turned up it’s a 26mm .. oh well .. bigger better .

the tube is 24mm inside and the out 25.5 so big of ultra gray and two bolts and it’s a feed of 24mm ..

the mic is easy to run ,, F the blood. PLOLiNIn italian carb .. choke on the wrong side .. and a bitch to set up .. and i got a big box of mic jets .. so i can jet up down as needed .. not have to calculate what the f. ing hole in the odd ball jet is .

🇮🇹😷may as well be chinese..

both full of C19 .

oh .. the mics japanese RIGHT 🤔well they was ..

991594E7-8D1A-451D-AD68-B28B1F24D722.jpeg

Im pretty sure those are the Twinjet motors? Yamaha made factory hop up aluminum bore cylinders with race porting and a bunch of other neat factory hop up stuff for those

oh yes they did the GYT kit for them ..

So i found a 2 sided reed to use on the airsal cylinder i put on the RD 60 .. has the same bolt pattern.

With the big carb it’s going to really let that work better

24D5641D-7E81-4284-9251-A9FD8897E5CD.png
32A60A81-7289-4BB9-84D4-4F05AF30855F.png

Oh it’s off a Ktm SX 50

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account