Re: Stock-ish vespa pipes, who's run them

Bad Cadillac™ /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> you about electric bikes being the future, kids are baffled by my

> mopeds, they think it is cool until you tell them you have to work on

> it, then they are like "why would you bother?"

Also tell them they can buy brand new Tomos bikes with a warranty instead of working on a 40 year old vintage bike.

hmm ok, interesting discussion but a little OT

as of late i've been building most of my bikes on the conservative end of the spectrum, i've got a polini'd za with a leovince that barely goes 52, i've got a TSM with a SHA and a 70 airsal and a stock exhaust, the ciao is fun and quirky and i love it but with 20 mph gears and a malossi 43/proma setup its turning 10k rpm at 45 mph and just not any fun to ride, it shakes out your fillings and breaks your earholes.

i want to build bikes that i like riding, that are reliable, and reflect the character of the original bike. I got a couple blasters in the works but for the most part i'm digging on simpler stockish builds that will stay running for more than one season.

As long as they sell gasoline , there will be 2 strokes on the road .

I'll give you they might be banned in Calfornication , but that's a different part of the world where they govern exactly how many sheets of TP anyone can legally use in one sitting . That may still be an exaggeration , but , likely a law within 5 years . LOL

Pdconn , thanks for further validating my theory. U are a full time RV er who wanders the largely Red states. nah the other actually productive areas ( CA is now the fifth largest economy in the world ) are going green dude. The only one rationing toilet paper is someone not wanting to clog their blackwater holding tank.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Pdconn , thanks for further validating my theory. U are a full time RV

> er who wanders the largely Red states. nah the other actually productive

> areas ( CA is now the fifth largest economy in the world ) are going

> green dude. The only one rationing toilet paper is someone not wanting

> to clog their blackwater holding tank.

Sure enough , we wander , red , white and blue , except California and the East coast . Won't go there . Too many people . I've been there and it was bad enough then .

Agreed , large economies going green or greener anyway . That's a good thing and a natural cycle .

Oh , we don't worry about which or how much TP we use , but for the exception that the paper is septic safe . ;)

A lot of vespa scooters are running pipes like these: https://www.google.com/search?q=vespa+p200+exhaust&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS-aaLkZPeAhUEyaQKHeRxBccQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=755#imgrc=7cWcGandnoRHhM :

Often the cones extend into the chamber just a bit. I was curious about building something similar for my tri-ped micro car, maybe another ped that I wanted to quite down a bit. Those sito plus style pipes seem good to around 40mph for me-I think I was actually using a gianelli.

Hey Graham, did you end up running the Gianelli stock type pipe? What’s your impression? Report back with your decision and results, please. I still haven’t switched out my Proma.

Tecno speedy plus plus pipe is great on stockers and mild kits. A very big improvement over stock, not super loud.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I just bought Sito++ for the first time for a beef displacement, small pipe and carb setup to try out making a trail ciao

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Tecno speedy plus plus pipe is great on stockers and mild kits. A very

> big improvement over stock, not super loud.

See, I’m thinking of switching some stuff around. I’m tired of the sound of the Proma on my Bravo, and I want a little more oomph from the stock Ciao I just finished. So I thought I’d put the Proma on the Ciao since I’m giving it away, and won’t have to listen to it. But then I need a replacement pipe for my Bravo. I’m debating between the Gianelli Fire and a stock plus pipe. I get it’s apples and oranges, just can’t make up my mind. I think I’d be disappointed in the stock plus pipe, after having the circuit pipe.

I love my fire pipes. They're amazing.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Also following, seeing as I am now a 1st time ciao owner.... a super clean euro model with oil injection. Mine came with a mystery circuit, but I've never liked circuits on anything simply because of their sound.

My plan is to run it stock for little with the circuit, then swap for one of the above mentioned pipes, probably the gianelli stock if I can find one. Then, slap a malossi 43mm on it and see how it does.

IMG7784558366151033269.jpg

that looks like a tecno circuit

to answer the original question i did not end up going with the stock pipe, i threw on a proma i had laying around and it ran really good so i haven't been motivated to change it.

It’s a difference of about 3 mph between the stock plus pipe and a proma. The gianelli fire can rev out a little higher than the proma and is slightly quieter.

Nice looking Ciao! I love those mags.

Thanks for the info Daniel. Now I gotta decide. I’ll probably just buy both, & put the one I like least on my other Bravo that needs gone thru still. The stock plus pipes are cheap, and shippings free over $100 now so

I had a ninja once at it fucked hard on 50cc. i didnt realize how expensive they were tho.

I finally got around to working on a stock Ciao I picked up last Summer. It's got a 12.10 SHA on it now, but I have a 12.12 I was going to throw on along with a Tecnigas City Power or Sito Plus. What jetting should I start out with? The 12.12 has a 48 in it now, but I've never ran that carb. The 12.10 has a 66 (previous owner).

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

I have been ripping my proma circuits for a while now and I do love them. I wear ear plugs when I ride anyhow and I definitely enjoy the sound, but I'm wondering if anyone ever gets anything with a bit lower tone to it? Thinking more like Derbi Variant with a phat chamber pipe type sound. Is that impossible on a vespa period?

I'm tired of being the one with the most ring ring riiiiiingggggg moped at the rides. How's the calibrata sound?

The Proma is far too loud. The Gianelli Fire is dope and not terribly loud. I have one still in the packaging that I could part with. (Bravo/Grande)

Dirty30 Dillon /

I am running the Gianelli version of the city power pipe on my Ciao and I LOVE IT.

IMG_20200511_193311.jpg

46mm Pinasco

Kinetic CDI

13.13 SHA

Super flat, linear pull on these pipes, for builds that are looking for that. Which I was.

15918078779925498287363365066739.jpg

I'm going to try this on the bravo that's quite underpowered and see what it sounds like.

@todd pm me re that pipe if u actually want to sell it. I might buy it but I'm kinda a but tight on the spending seeing I'm not working.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Looks like a WeakEndz one-off Calibrata copy. I have one with a wrap around stinger for Hobbit that I am going to mod to run on Vespa.

I completely agree that the sound that emanates from both my vespers and not to mention the rest of my mopeds is excessive. If a much larger silencer was fitted to the end of one of these cheap pipes would there be significant acoustic baffling? Has anyone tried it or done it and had either good or bad results anybody thinking about a specific silencer that would be easy to put on the back of one of these I mean the silencer that comes with the typical moped pipe is so freaking pathetically tiny that it's almost like a facsimile.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> I completely agree that the sound that emanates from both my vespers and

> not to mention the rest of my mopeds is excessive. If a much larger

> silencer was fitted to the end of one of these cheap pipes would there

> be significant acoustic baffling? Has anyone tried it or done it and had

> either good or bad results anybody thinking about a specific silencer

> that would be easy to put on the back of one of these I mean the

> silencer that comes with the typical moped pipe is so freaking

> pathetically tiny that it's almost like a facsimile.

What "cheap pipe" are you talking about?

I've had great luck fitting better silencers to standard pipes.

On the other hand, these Vespa stock++ pipes are v quiet

I meant what typically comes on for example a proma.

Kevin Bishop /

I took an early tomos pipe, the unrestricted header version, and hacked off the exhaust mount. Put a slice in the header a la Sachs/Vespa style and robbed the clamp mount off the stock pipe. It sealed fine and was quiet enough but definitely was faster than stock. I wanna say it was 24 mm ID.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account