Re: V1 Interceptor

Coil is 12v from a vintage Triumph.

I don't think moped gp will let me race. It's not "moped" enough.

You can race it for sure. At the very least they will let you go in the unlimited. Which sounds fast, but at pairie city there's like only 2 sections you can get going faster than 30-35.

Prairie City is a long drive from Huntington Beach. But I'll think about it. If they have a race at the Grange I'm definitely down.

those brakes are scary af

On a lighter bike, they work great. Inner drum surface is sanded to get rid of the shine, new shoes with grooves cut at an angle, air holes drilled into the brake plates, jagwire compression-less cables and Dia-compe tech 77 bmx levers.

It'll lock the rear if it's adjusted too tight, and the front works perfectly.

And they're polished all shiny.

> . Chudas. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> any videos of this thing, it looks awesome

Search "bairdco" on YouTube. Posted one video from the motorbicycle race at the Grange from last weekend. Got two more I need to upload. Kinda boring, but...

Action shots

FB_IMG_1561065020091.jpg
FB_IMG_1561065027277.jpg
IMG_20190620_142222_100.jpg

Glamour shots of my "not a real moped so why are you posting on a moped site" race bike:

IMG_20200309_154617.jpg
IMG_20200309_154600.jpg
IMG_20200309_154534.jpg

Money shot:

IMG_20200309_154521.jpg

So cool. Hope the racing starts up again soon for ya.

Yeah, me too. We had a race scheduled for the end of March and I spent weeks tuning it, runs perfect, faster than ever, and the race got cancelled. Now it's just sitting in the lonely garage with a blanket over it.

I mean it’s a technically motorized bicycle. A nice one, not one of those clone engines that tweakers love it slap on beach cruisers and schwin sting rays. I don’t think anyone would actually try to argue that those don’t also technically qualify as a moped. Granted what is or isn’t a moped is dictated by your states rules for what quantifies what a moped is. In Washington a ruckus is considered a moped. In California a tomos with a kickstart is considered a motor driven cycle.

Also, most of us who actually are a part of the racing community love to see cool shit and anyone who is stoked on racing. Most of us race vintage modified production moped frames, a few have made $$$ custom frames and suspension, but it’s not only about your power plant or fancy 3 thousand custom frame, it’s more about the riders abilities.

Here a fancy shot of me on my machine:

4C38ECFE-ACFA-42F4-A642-160BADEDEB6B.jpeg

reynie domingo /

Baird is really a great rider, he’ll beat most of the fast single speed moped racers trust me. I’ve raced with him and he’ll beat you, not talking shit, he’s for real.

reynie domingo /

Wait I am kinda talking sheet, I don’t know how to erase my first comment lol. Would be a good race to watch, you both need to race at the next gpwest

> reynie domingo Wrote:

> Baird is really a great rider, he’ll beat most of the fast single speed

> moped racers trust me. I’ve raced with him and he’ll beat you, not

> talking shit, he’s for real.

idk how anyone could carry any kind of corner speed on rigid suspension with drum brakes, but this bike is definitely very cool.

My drums work as good as any brake out there. And the trick, is not to use them. ; )

At our "low" speeds, suspension really isn't an issue. You don't need brake dive to help slow you down, and the tracks are smooth, for the most part. There are some bumps and cracks that can body jar you pretty good, but you just pick a line to avoid them.

I'm also running 2.75-24 rims and 24x3 tires, with 20psi. That's about twice as fat as a normal rim, so that helps smooth things out.

And my front drum is a 7" Grimeca with vents and siped shoes. They were used on 50cc racers back in the day.

IMG_20191103_144203.jpg
IMG_20191103_223053.jpg

> reynie domingo Wrote:

> Baird is really a great rider, he’ll beat most of the fast single speed

> moped racers trust me. I’ve raced with him and he’ll beat you, not

> talking shit, he’s for real.

Haha... Thanks reynie! Can't wait to get back on the track with you.

FB_IMG_1561064941042.jpg

I prefer disc brakes almost purely because of how tired my hands get yanking those levers and trying. Most of the tracks I have been on only have two or three sections where heavy braking is a thing. Most of the time I trail brake and try to carry my speed as much as possible. Since there’s a few turns at the grange that a lot of people slow down too much for when the inside line (which everyone goes for) is pretty much a bummer because it’s so off camber and the outside is perfect. Granted I haven’t been there in years and the last time they had just started doing drift events there and the outside was already getting shitty from people dropping wheels and going off the track. It was super sticky though from all that rubber burned in.

Yeah, it got bought out by a drift guy, and now it's Apple Valley Speedway. Those cars wreck the track. All the corners have ruts dug out around them and filled back up with sand, so if you go off the track, you sink. And stop. And fall over.

There's also steel belted wires like needles all over from car tires. I got a micro puncture in my front tire at the AMRA race, but luckily it was after the race.

And the car guys leave shit all over the pits. Nuts bolts screws, etc. You gotta watch where you park.

Good news is they're actually working on the track. Widening the aprons and patching the cracks.

> baird co Wrote:

> At our "low" speeds, suspension really isn't an issue. You don't need

> brake dive to help slow you down, and the tracks are smooth, for the

> most part. There are some bumps and cracks that can body jar you pretty

> good, but you just pick a line to avoid them.

not to quarrel with you on your own thread, but you can definitely feel the difference in a well tuned suspension on a small bike. I went from a 49 second lap average to 47 on my minigp bike at the home track after taking the front end to a suspension tuner. In fairness a certain amount was probably placebo effect because I feel more confident on it, but 2 seconds on small tweaks like getting the preload perfect and the rebound smooth is pretty huge.

the outward force of the turn has to go somewhere and if you don't have suspension to compress, it's going into frame flex until your tires break traction at the contact patch + you can pick the line you want, not just the line that won't buck you off the seat and you can concentrate more on body position.

all that said. it's a fucking sick motorized bike.(edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account