tomos a35 rebuild but no power...

Hey guys,

its a Tomos lover from the Netherlands asking for help!

i rebuild my entire tomos with the following setup.

cylinder+head: airsal 65cc with puch high compression head

exhaust: tecno bos

carburator+ manifold: 16/16 dellorto sha with 74 jet and 16/16mm manifold

airfilter: stock with 25mm tube instead of the original half one.

gearing: 26-28

spark plug: ngk b7hs

People said my tomos should be pulling pretty good...

Instead i goes really slow i get a top speed of 34mph gps that takes about 1minute full throttle. I tried adjusting my ignition which didnt help. I cut my clutch springs but that didnt give any effect even tho i got 2cm of the second gear spring...

Everything is airtight i tried spraying with brake cleaner between carb and manifold and cilinder base+head

Im all out of ideas. I

might make the clutch with scooter springs for higher pickup but that shouldnt be the problem.

Here is a video how it is running now...

Any help is appreciated

Re: tomos a35 rebuild but no power...

Tomos tecno boss is my least favorite tomos exhaust. When I had a tomos years ago I never could get it to hit, I was running a similar set up. I thought it was my tuning too until the pipe broke at the header, then it was a rocket. Ended up with an Estoril and it was great. If you're looking for the most low end grab a tecno circuit or the bullet, they both have a super long header. My favorite lately is a stock pipe though, nice linear power and very quiet.

So you think with running the stock pipe i would get more performance out of it? With stock i mean not the one with s turn in it but the straight one.

I was also thinking this exhaust is really bad.

Might go for a tecno circuit or a technigas next R

Just a question? Did you replace your crankshaft seals?

Sorry for the double video...

No i did not but they dont leak. I dont see excessive oil on the spark plug etc...

64BE5A41-C8FE-49F7-A371-0C3EAA2A6985.jpeg

I would advise to replacement. They get really hard on the shaft and spring tens to get weak. Mostly they get hard from the heat.

I will try the original exhaust first, if the same problems keeps occuring i will replace the crankshaft seals. But to be honest im not really worried it has about 3700 miles on it with stock setup. My friend has the same setup and exhaust and same performance... i really think its the shit exhaust.

Thanks for your input anyway!

Ok. But here remember this, what year is the engine. Miles doesn't matter when it comes to time the element's of weather and time.

Its a tomos quadro from 2008!

Internals an oil were very clean.

And only little rust on the frame.

They also dont have ethanol in their gas in the netherlands. Damn you george bush.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> They also dont have ethanol in their gas in the netherlands. Damn you

> george bush.

Haha these days there is tho! Only 5% from most pumps but some even have 10% :(

Ya man replace them. It take about a hour if your a good mechanic.(edited)

you can regear 26 front 22 rear. thatll get u better top speed. plug looks lean to me, check your brakes arn't grabbing. my stock, proma circuit a35 would bury the speedo till m in tomos

Mine already doesnt pull so going from 28 to 22 would kill it ... it takes about 1.20 min to get to 35mph...

I have 3 options for a new exhaust!

Technigas next R

Endy reverse

Or homoet

Wich one would deliver best performance

I am also gonna buy 22 and 24 if i can find any power with a new exhaust.

Im gonna try my stock one first.

Thanks for al the replys

Heb je de ontsteking wel op de "bromstand" gezet? Scheelde een hoop bij mijn Tomos.

hoe je tomos ontsteking op brom te zetten

Ja dit heb ik gedaan!

Ik mis gewoon echt power met het oppakken pas als ik in de echt hoge touren kom heb ik was power...

Ik ben verder niet echt een tomos kenner, maar een andere uitlaat klinkt wel als de beste oplossing.

It's been a few years but if I remember correctly the boss header is too short (and also extends into the chamber by around 80mm. I cut out the old header out and added to the length. I believe I used the header length from the homoet 4p or proma gp. It seemed to help get more usable power out of the pipe. This was on the stock cylinder, so your results with a 65cc might be different.

Today i mounted the original 22mm exhaust and what a major difference!!! Putting on a performance pipe like homoet or technigas would make a major change i think!

The clutch wont make it far i think because it keeps slipping! Might gonna use some leather for it! For now im happy but i want more performance so im gonna look put for either a technigas next R or a homoet exhaust!

yellow 25 pound clutch spring and overfill your trans oil. get carb jets start at 80 main jet make sure clutch spins freely in bell both clutchs

Here in the Netherlands we dont have different kind of springs... i orderd new one and might gonna shorten them.

Also i orderd a new homoet exhaust for my tomos, i hope i get some good performance out of it!

Will overdilling the transmission slow down shifting?

Thanks for all the help.

Yea over filling will do that, but it also makes it shift slower, like more lag between first and second. I personally hate the way overfilled tomos feels, Treatland.tv has all the clutch springs you could want.

If one of the shop contacts me. I could do a order for them. Like puchshop would contact me then you guys over there would have spring tension selection. I'm the one that makes tomos clutch springs for shops over here been doing it for years. They really do help the transmission a lot.

can you tell what dimensions are for red spring, inner, outter diameter and length...

currently they are not available at threats...

you can also cut a few coils off your spring but it gets very hard to put on, and it will 'relax' after a while and the shift rpm will drop, still higher than it was, but its annoying.

the best mod IMO is going to the friction material 'asbestos' clutch lining, the shift feel is much better than cork. I haven't run leather, started using the 'asbestos' and never looked back. Its not that it engages much later, its just a smoother engagement and less grabby.

Got the homoet mounted up and it sounds great runs way better then the tecno bos or stock. Still fiddling with the jets im on 74 still running a little rich. Going to put in 26-22 on saturday. Did you guys ever hear of muffler bearings? I need to make a proper plate for the exhaust mounting point.

For now i needed to get creative and just roll with it :P

D56391A9-C037-4973-A8D8-5895041D73ED.jpeg
7A8210CE-49D2-45E3-9529-462A23BF5D51.jpeg
41DA11CB-A96D-49AD-85DA-EE78189FD7F4.jpeg

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

HA!! Clever use of that needle bearing. They are relatively brittle for a spacer though.

Your bike looks awesome! The color, and that pipe on there looks top.

They are precisionly made on a cnc spring coiler machine. Contact the store if there out of stock. That is a glitz on inventory.

Over the years.. of me breaking headers snapping or cracking, just better to make it spring mount flange and rubber mounted.(edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account