Re: tomos a35 rebuild but no power...

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

When you rebuilt it, did you cut an accurate gasket? The base gaskets that come with kits are usually not properly cut to match the transfers. If you assembled it with an improperly cut base gasket that;s too small, it could adversely affect performance. Also, a compression test would say alot.

I did match the gaskets and they didnt need any cutting only those of the reed valve otherwise the reeds would be trapped. I put the steel filter on just in case and running jet 74 i seem to hit the 44mph we will see tomorrow how she runs on the long run!

Jack Rutherford /

What's your goal here? better acceleration? better top speed? both?

Better acceleration i orderd a chinese dellorto phbg 19mm for 25 euro.

Gonna play around with it when i can make a manifold...

Back again with the same stuff...

After riding it for +-40km i really notice it lacks power on the low rpms. At traffic lights people with a 50cc 4 stroke scooter blow the shit out of me... i dont understand how this is happening.

Ive been trying to fix a leakdown tester and a compression tester but i dont know what problem this could be? Is the 26-22 gearing to heavy for this setup?

Are my seals leaking? Who knows?

Im going to order new crank seals and change to 26-24.

Any help would be appreciated!

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Theo DT Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Back again with the same stuff...

>

> After riding it for +-40km i really notice it lacks power on the low

> rpms. At traffic lights people with a 50cc 4 stroke scooter blow the

> shit out of me... i dont understand how this is happening.

>

> Ive been trying to fix a leakdown tester and a compression tester but i

> dont know what problem this could be? Is the 26-22 gearing to heavy for

> this setup?

>

> Are my seals leaking? Who knows?

>

> Im going to order new crank seals and change to 26-24.

>

> Any help would be appreciated!

your pipe is better suited for higher rpms. if you want great acceleration and top speed i recommend an estoril exhaust.

Puch hd 65cc head

Airsol 65cc

16mm manifold + 16/16mm dellorto sha

Homoet exhaust

Airsol reedvalve

26-22

This is my setup now. Dont wanna change the exhaust because i just bought it haha.

Gonna try 26-24 first

yeah, you gotta use a filter like Bas suggested, big dorky paper thing off a lawnmower or something like that.

one of my bikes has rusty tank that i just never bothered to fix and just run a huge paper filter. after a year or two anything that is gonna fall off does, and the filter takes care of it.

i can't tell what you are talking about with metal mesh and whatever but whatever you are doing isn't working.

there is also a couple small holes in the carb that could be clogged now because of all this junk. if you look at the emulsion tube there should be 2 or 3 holes in it, plus the tiny idle jet hole, one or more of those being plugged will play havoc with your jetting having it run rich in some places and lean in others.

it sounds to me like you are lean on the bottom end, which would make sense. plug chops, eh, not the best way to tune. i think you're better off on a setup like that to up-jet until it four strokes, then work your way down until it runs the way you want it too.

44 mph on 26-22 is probably about right for that setup, i take it you have the 44 mm kit? different places call different kits different things.

Yes i have the 44mm kit.

The steel filter is in the dellorto carb for the air intake i run a normal gasoline filter towards the carb see my picture. I can get it to four stroke but then im not even hitting 30mph carb is cleaned up already...

25ADEF0C-0C50-4947-A84A-CBF06D2BA123.jpeg

small detail but the fuel flows in the direction of the arrow, you have it backwards.

i would make sure you figure out the dirty fuel issue, that is going to cause more frustration and make it impossible to tune. also with that long fuel line make sure there is good fuel flow at the carb.

i would double check those emulsuion tube holes.

what jet makes it four stroke?

like i said it sounds like your top speed is pretty good, 26/22 puts you at 8800 rpm which is just below the rev limiter on some models, and also pretty consistent with what those cheap reed kits are capable of. they have pretty small exhaust timing and they don't rev out well.

depending on the year/model of CDI you might be rev limited at 9k ish.

if you want to go faster and accelerate you'll need clutch tuning, porting and a no-limit CDI box. you might like the taller gearing, sometimes with the two speeds taller gearing accelerates harder, but don't expect the bigger carb to get you over 9k rpm.

i have run estoril + vm22 on the 44 mm treats reed kit, which is just a puch copy of that airsal, and 9k is about all they've got. you can get them 9500 with some exhaust porting and a lot more top end torque.

The thing is i dont really need more rpms but more bottom end power because when i pull away a chinese 50cc 4 stroke will be faster until around 30km/h then i take off...

Jet 82 makes it 4 stroke im running with 74 now with the steel filter and black cap!

Might gonna put on leather on the clutch for better grip and new springs...

I dont want to buy more expensive parts to be honest. I am already well above my budget of 500 eu for the entire bike

yeah i mean, you're always gonna get blasted off the line by a 4t with a variator, thats just the nature of the beast. you might just need to 'tune' your expectations.

if the gears are working for ya leave them as-is. i don't think you want to go much lower because most of the average city-riding that you're doing is going to be 25-35 where you are in the power band now.

the pipe isn't doing you any favors, a techno estoril would be much better for low end.

Volgensmij probeer je steeds te veel te veranderen. Bij brommers is het essentieel dat je ieder probleem oplost voordat je aan het volgende probleem begint. Anders blijf je bezig en kom je er nooit achter wat het probleem nu is.

Is je tomos oorspronkelijk een snormodel? Ik heb ooit een snortomos gehad waarbij de cdi ernstig begrensd was.

Snel optrekken doe je in de eerste versnelling, schakelt hij misschien te vroeg?

you need to just back up and go to Basics again first thing you need to do is set your timing to where it's at 18 degrees this will give you good vitamin with a fair amount of top and without too much timing for your mild setup.

nobody has any idea what your compression ratio is who what your CC value of your combustion chamber is but it should be around 6 cc's of Play-Doh in the cut with a piston pushed up tight against the head.

And add that 0.75 0.8 mm squash and you have roughly 7 to 7.1 cc's of combustion chamber volume at TDC which is where you want to be.

Next fix your fucking air cleaner put the little screen stock filter back in there and you want to review Running between 3 and 4 screens in it so you may need to pull a couple out need to have that in there on an sha carburetor to tune the mid-range .

do you need to address the slide in the carburetor you need to do the notch modification or replace it with a number 2 or number for slight and set the angle 2 are you have the best snap rev and power off from a stop.

I suggest that you raise the exhaust port at least one mmmm in order to get the most out of your exhaust chamber.

If you want to get power from the pipe you need to put heat into the pipe the only way you're going to get heat in the pipe is not to be burning the fuel 100% in the combustion process but to rent a little less timing and let that excess Heat make the sonic wave that supercharges the engine do its job seems like you're wasting a little fuel but you get tons of power in Payback.

Have any exhaust a little higher puts the heat into the pipe the little sooner.

just don't get carried away and go not so you'll have too much blow down and lose everything but you'll be fine going just one millimeter.

other than that without having the bike in front of me so I can see all the other things that were done in properly it's going to be pretty hard to make it work but I think your jetted way too high anytime that you have to go higher than the 72 on the jet on an sha you either have the wrong air filter or you're just fucked your tune so bad your just tuna fishing in freshwater.

it your clutch springs causing your bike be slow off the line get diffent size springs for both cluthes and change them till you find right ones 44 about right for set up

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input!

When i looked at the clutch the whole cork was disformed and i decided to go with leather! so i sanded the clutch down a little but some 2 component metal glue and leather strips in and it rides a little better now! Changed the springs aswell but didnt help very much.

I can ride everyday to work now it just pulls slow but im just gonna accept that.

Around spring time i can overhaul the entire engine and measure everything and tune the cilinder etc etc.

For now its just riding!

Only 1 more thing is there anything i can do about vibration?

Thanks again for all the help i got from you guys!

I really appreciate all the help you guys gave me and i will keep checking the forums and will be tuning the moped around the spring!

The outer diameter of the clutch bell is not true. Tomos stopped machining the outside of the clutch bells around 2006 or 2008. Turning it on a lathe makes a big difference in reducing the vibration above 30mph. All of the internal components could stand to be balanced too, as tomos doesnt really care about that sort of thing.

tomos clutch bell repair(edited)

the other one being the counter-gear, i'm not sure when those things went to hell but i've seen some of them that are machined 1/4" off the casting. when i buy A55's they are almost always already shot, and i'm running out of good A35 gears.

get red springs n drill holes in clutch bell to balance.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account