Wheel compatibility

Patrick McNally /

Does anyone know what moped brands have wheel compatibility with a 1980 General?

Thank you.

Re: Wheel compatibility

all of them?

Patrick McNally /

Do you know all of them?

well any of them can be made to fit, no matter what its going to take some finnagling

the generals were kind of a parts bin bike, every single one i've worked on has been a different combination of junk like wheels, controls, even more than one different style of forks.

if you start by posting a close up photo of your brake backing plates, and give us an idea of what you're looking for, someone might have a suggestion. Front seems like it would be pretty close to a hobbit just from memory.

Patrick McNally /

I don’t have any particular bike or brand in mind. I have stock 1980 General wheel set up. I want to put on mags and I’m finding project bikes with mags for sale at half the price of buying mags alone. I’d rather buy a whole bike, take the wheels and sell the parts. Essentially make money and get the wheels I like for free.

Patrick McNally /

Id be interested in this bike if I can make them work.

717A1E99-CF39-404D-BAB7-1B1F077393C3.jpeg

Dirty30 Dillon /

There aren't any readily available, bolt-on replacements for the general wheels.

That said, I would look for a set of V1 wheels before anything. But Tomos wheels can be made to work.

Patrick McNally /

Thanks! I don’t mind changing parts if something will work.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Patrick McNally Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks! I don’t mind changing parts if something will work.

What Graham was trying to explain is that any wheel can fit with the proper modifications, and person capable of going to said extent to make it fit.

Tomos wheels will fit, but sprocket, alignment, and brake plate issues may need solving.

There are two basic categories of non-CVT rear moped wheels.

1. Dished sprocket-type, pedal chain (Puch, Peugeot, Motobecane)

2. Flat sprocket-type, four bolt pattern, no pedal chain (Tomos, Minarelli/Morini, Sachs).

If your General has a four bolt flat sprocket, you can use any of (2). 90% of the time, you will have to respace the wheel within the forks and swingarm, and possibly need a different length axle, but that is not a big deal.

Front wheels can be almost freely interchanged. However, you need to make sure that the brake tabs of non-OEM front wheels will fit in your bike's fork nub.

Patrick McNally /

Thanks. I assumed I’d need to change out some parts. But I wasn’t sure if there were some that were an absolute (will not) work no matter what you do. Since Tomos mags can work, and can readily find them cheap, I won’t worry about other brands.

Patrick McNally /

Thank you. That’s really good information to know.

yeah i was hoping you'd say tomos, those tend to be the easist to make work on just about anything.

they have sealed bearings from the factory and they have really big brake stay tabs, so you have a good chance of making them line up.

they are 16" diameter just so ya know, your general would have been 17.

my general was an '84 and pretty different from some 80's-ish ones i've seen, but it was very close to a hobbit front wheel brake wise.

Patrick McNally /
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account