Stock power house

I have a za50 mkii that I'm wanting to upgrade I've been back and forth with builds I could possibly do. A reed build is what I've decided on But if I can get good top speed and torque outta the Reed adapter and stay stock vs the polini Reed kit it's what I'll do. either way it'll be paired with a 19mm phbg and the mlm cali flat port side bleed and new gearing I'm buying a 35t rear and a 16t for the front It has stock gearing as of now. Trying to hit 50mph

Has anyone ever used one of these? Let me know the good and the bad.

And let me know if I'm just missing the point and need to just go with the kit.(edited)

Screenshot_20181208-170134_Chrome.jpg

Re: Stock power house

You want to run the stock it with a reed adapter? You won’t get any noticeable gains out of that. Buy a 45mm puch reed kit and be happy.

Overpriced Parts /

16x35 gears are basically the same gearing as 18x40 stock gears so why change gearing to 16x35?

Leave 18 tooth stock front sprocket on .

Reed kit is ok on a za 50, I like the Metra 65. You can keep the tall high torque round port intake and run the Bing for cheap. The tecno estoril paired with the Metra kit 65 will get you into the 50s with 18x35 gearing.

All the intake adapter does is turn your piston port kit into a reed kit so just buy a reed kit and save Money & time. If you buy that adapter you’ll need to buy a reed intake piston & You can only use two pedal reeds.(edited)

Chöschi21 C.K. /

i was at an ACE Café Moped Meet this year, there was a group of Puch Riders wich had a Problem with a Spark Plug and they didn't take any with them, one of them had this kit on their Maxi, i asked him if it worked, he had some kind of Kit and a 12 or 15mm Bing Carb on it, i think he told me that it wasn't worth it, said that he gained a bit of low end Power and also just put it on because he wanted it to run for the Meet.(edited)

Thanks for the input everyone I was kinda torn between the 65cc Metrakit and the 65cc Polini Reed they both have good and bad reviews but I'm gunna just go with the polini Reed kit this is all the stuff I'm ordering I'm try to hit 50mph let me know what yal think if something needs to be changed I still have to get the GEARS, CRANKSHAFT, and SPROCKETS the carb is a 19mm phbg

Screenshot_20181211-144150_Chrome.jpg

nevermind.(edited)

thats a good setup, its totally the wrong head, so get a polini specific head for starters. Most kits its not that big of a deal but on that setup its gonna burn ya.

you'll be doing a full rebuild on the ZA I hope? case match, replace all bearings, shim all the shafts, etc. the kit, carb, pipe, etc are 10K plus rpm high performance setup and ZA's don't last long at those RPM's.

if your goal is 50 and only 50 you can do that without the 4 petal reed. I have a circuit pipe, 19x36 gears and a 15 bing and my maxi goes 51 and gets there really quick. Built right those parts are more like 55-60 mph.

i prefer the VM22 but its personal preference, if you're sticking PHBG you might as well go up to the 21.

I worry about that stock ZA crank with a polini and HPI mini rotor... but hey it's just mopeds

he said hes getting a crankshaft. usually thats the first thing i buy but differn't strokes.

oops reading comprehension fail. should be a fun project!

the title of this post is now very misleading lol(edited)

I dunno. Stock za50 cranks are solid forever if you dont rev the piss out them

50-55mph is what I set out to achieve we have a lot of flat roads here in bama. so will just the polini kit work well without the 4petal to achieve my goal I'm still wanting a good bit of torque as well and I've seen so many post that say you cant have both is this true?

Overpriced Parts /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I dunno. Stock za50 cranks are solid forever if you dont rev the piss

> out them

Not really, some years don't even have needle bearings on the large end of con rod, Just a bushing like the small end

And most all stock cranks have very small bevels/cutaways/oil passage ways for oil to get to big end of rod so hardly any oil mix gets to the big end so good oil with good mix is needed,

And if the person who had the bike before you didn’t use good oil with a good mix even if you use good oil with a rich mix and keep revs down you still can seize crank rod bottom especially if scored or damaged by the person before you,

Most stock puch crank failures I had were large end crank lockup’s and that was on both za50s and e50s

Mint shape stock engine with low mi and low rpm still can lock up hard like this

But Kitted with a reed type kit or cylinder throws a lot more gas oil pre mix into the bottom end crankcase/carter due to the larger jetting then stock cylinder or piston port kit

(example 77-80 jet on piston port 65cc kit with 15mm bing compared to 88-90 size jet with 64cc polini reed kit and 15mm bing) so if kitting a stock crank za50 a reed type kit will give better lube to large end of crank/con rod as well as all crank bearings that get lubed from gas/air mix,

On a e50 only mag side bearing needs lube from crankcase gas air mix (trans side crank bearing gets lube from tranny fluid) but on a za50 both crankshaft sides (mag and tranny) get lubed from gas/oil/air mix from holes in case back of transfer ports So run a good oil gas mix so those don’t get ruined either,

What is the best crank to get for a build like this? There are stuffed and unstuffed. Small bushing and big bushing but I think that depends on the cluch bell if I'm correct. But anyways This is the condition that the bike came to me in but I'd still like to crack it open. And what sprocket range do I need? Was getting a 42t 45t rear and a 16t front just to play with

20181031_091353.jpg

Just saying, puch built a better za than any builder stateside has. I dont think this guy is going to have great luck with his first z.a.50.

Overpriced Parts /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Just saying, puch built a better za than any builder stateside has. I

> dont think this guy is going to have great luck with his first z.a.50.

Especially since he has the air leaky, larger crank case volume with pump gear on the crank and seal to the outside of case oil injected version za50 that comes on a mocha mkll :(

Aftermarket Cranks don’t work on oil injected za50s if you want to keep the oil injection pump,

I like the non oil injected za50 versions way better,

I don’t even like the newest aftermarket cranks even though they finally got the circlip groove correct there’s too much slop at the clutch bell bushing and no flat spot on the bushing (large version) which is actually what pumps/moves trans fluid.

They need to make the bell bushing correct/little bigger size and put a flat spot on it the way the factory made it,

But Your right Daniel, puch did a great job assembling and making upgrades to the za50 engine over the years especially the black clutch cover za50s that came on a 86 white cobra that came with full needle bearing crank and nice clutches,

Puch finally hit the nail on the head with that version

Best auto shift two speed moped engine on the planet,

The two 86 cobra engines I have I never had to rebuild and they rev to the moon!

Almost every other regular Za50 on my personal bikes (including my son’s engine in the video) needed/and gave a crank rebuild)

Jet appropriately, run 30:1, keep the revs bellow 9k, and do not blast down hills wot, and they can last forever. After much deliberation I have decided, from watching friends fail with various za50 builds, that the best za is a low stress build that makes good mid range power. Stock clutches flipped and 18x35 gearing is perfect in the city, I'm running a stock pipe and love life. Gotta watch out for accidental wheelies.

IMG_20180406_152327.jpg

hahaha!

yeah i'm at 19x36 right now, 15 bing, polini, leovince. hits 51 real quick and rock solid reliable

untill i exploded my one-way-clutch for some reason... i thnk it was cracked when i got it because the shift pucks were totally out of it. cracked the race, jammed the rollers and shredded both my countershaft gears.

I'd say 15 bing, estoril, polini, 50 mph setup all day long and easy breezy tough to fuck it up.

IMO those big MLM pipes just cause you a lot of headaches and breaking shit... they pretty much force you into the next tax bracket, which if all you want is 50, doesn't sound like is necessary.

Also, ken, would this motor have the 'short' gearing?

That’s an expensive first set up never mind the za motor.

You might be better off starting with an e50, after market crank, clutch, ignition. Buy a mild price pipe and the treats reed kit w/ a four petal. Ull be hitting 50 without even trying and The entire set will last.

I figured if I spend the money up front on some good stuff I would one and done it. Either way I'm going to send it away to be built then have it shipped back to me

I've since then talked to some people who have said that ESTORIL pipe is the best one to go with and I'd save some money

I did not know I could use za50 parts on a za50?

> Jeremy cole Wrote:

> I figured if I spend the money up front on some good stuff I would one

> and done it. Either way I'm going to send it away to be built then have

> it shipped back to me

Dude you can ether buy your fish or spend some money on fishing equipment, Ether way I’m still fishing.

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> > Jeremy cole Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I figured if I spend the money up front on some good stuff I would one

>

> > and done it. Either way I'm going to send it away to be built then

> have

>

> > it shipped back to me

>

> Dude you can ether buy your fish or spend some money on fishing

> equipment, Ether way I’m still fishing.

Never been said better. Lol I wish i had someone to learn from here but watching YouTube and reading only gets you so far and I know that I gotta break some to learn some but in not made if money I've already spent enough money that way

If you don't mind, who is tackling this build?

Like i said earlier. Don't blow your wad on a fancy top end ans exhaust that your gonna seize up anyways. Get a Metra 65, a low-mid range pipe and some Bing jets. Set your self up with a couple sprockets and play with the gearing. Then maybe pick up the manual and do a little bit of reading about z.a.50 transmission repairs and modifications. If you dont want to do the work yourself you better have something in those pockets or a friend who's a moped mechanic.

Its either Austin moped or Detroit moped works.

I'll tell my wife it's a vacation lol and I was on the Metra kit for a long time and from what I've read online the polini offers more tunability than the piston port kit.

Is the Metra kit safer to run than the polini

yeah even if someone builds you an engine, you'll need to do the tuning yourself. Polinis are tough to tune because they run really good even when they are way off, so good that they will eat themselves alive. A really tame 15 bing polini build is pretty easy to 'set it and forget it' but when you start putting the beans to them, they can seize with little to no warning and ruin your day.

mk65 is much more forgiving but i dunno about 50 mph with a 15 bing/estoril on that combo.

i think the post about building a second motor (e50) to kit and tune up, and swapping them, might be your best bet. Sounds like the motor you have on there has already been dialed in pretty well. If it runs good you might want to leave it alone. that way when your 'hot' motor blows up you can swap back and ride on.

He lives in what I presume is pretty flat land. 19/20x35 gearing should be good to 50, that's only like 8-9k rpms. But I agree with grahmn 100%, learn on an e50. Gain some confidence and knowledge, figure out what you really want out of a moped and keep the za as a spare. There's a triad where you can pick 2 traits; fast, cheap or reliable. It is very true and rarely can it be all 3.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

There's a triad

> where you can pick 2 traits; fast, cheap or reliable. It is very true

> and rarely can it be all 3.

They call Those things hot rods

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account