2000 Tomos lx targa build

Okay, to start I’m new to the forum I’ll give you a little back story so you know where I come from with this build. I’ve had this bike for 8 yrs, bought it when I was 16 and have just always had it around to tinker with in my spare time in between projects, haven’t messed with it in about 2 year. Got married moved around but now I’m getting it back out and doing the full build I wanted to do but couldn’t afford when I was a teenager. The bike as it stands has a biturbo exhaust, ported stock cylinder, upgraded intake and for cosmetics I’ve strippped it down it only weighs 85lb rite now. What I am currently doing and or about to do. Engine wise it’s getting a Parmakit “going to case match and it will be running 110 octaine” , going to use the biturbo exhaust for now , but I have some questions about what carb to use I’ve been considering polini pwk 24mm and Dellorto phbg 21mm also Looking for a good reed block o run. and I really want to have very high revs I have been looking a getting a tunable cdi “I have experience tuning 4 strokes but this is my first 2 stroke I’ll acually be tuning “ but I wanted to see what you all thought, do I need to get a cdi I can tune or is there a better option. And just so you know, this is NOT a normal run around town bike and that’s not what I’m going for, I want it to be maxed out and something I use as my stress relief I’ll just hope on it on occasion and rip down the road. Also if you all have any recommendations on exhaust let me know. So far I think I’ll just build my own as I haven’t seen any that are to my standards off the self. I hope I’m not hated for building this bike this much but it’s what I’ve always wanted to do.(edited)

Re: 2000 Tomos lx targa build

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

The tomos parmakit isn't the best choice for you IMHO, its not a bolt on n go cylinder.

It requires modifications to work correctly out of the box.

I would go with a 44mm airsal or alukit to start with, paired with an 18-19mm carb and intake of your choosing, a PHBG or Mikuni would be a good choice.

Biturbo is decent, but you'll eventually want something better like an estoril.

As for a cdi, stock will suit you fine at first, but an easy upgrade to make would be the Parmakit cdi box/coil, assuming you already have a cdi ignition.

I suggest you use the search function or google with the word "mopedarmy", and read the wiki.

Yes I understand it will require some work but that’s what I’m looking for, I like top quality. When I do something I need it to be exactly rite and how I want it. Anything less and I won’t be happy. I’ve done a lot of research on all the kits and in my opinion it the cleanest best casting kit out there, I also like that it Italian in keeping with the bike. I was looking at the exhaust you mentioned but I have seen a number of people complaining about the quality “welds cracking mainly” I can weld “auto body tech by trade” but I don’t want bad quality, do you have any personal experience with them? And thank you for your input. I’ll check out that cdi unit. I would really like something a can use to retard timing and set limiter

And thanks for the tip I have read the wiki on tuning and the a35 Engine and haven’t finished yet but reading bell performance tuning its been an awesome source of info(edited)

> Tanner Barb Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes I understand it will require some work but that’s what I’m looking

> for, I like top quality. When I do something I need it to be exactly

> rite and how I want it. Anything less and I won’t be happy. I’ve done a

> lot of research on all the kits and in my opinion it the cleanest best

> casting kit out there, I also like that it Italian in keeping with the

> bike. I was looking at the exhaust you mentioned but I have seen a

> number of people complaining about the quality “welds cracking mainly” I

> can weld “auto body tech by trade” but I don’t want bad quality, do you

> have any personal experience with them? And thank you for your input.

> I’ll check out that cdi unit. I would really like something a can use to

> retard timing and set limiter

>

> And thanks for the tip I have read the wiki on tuning and the a35 Engine

> and haven’t finished yet but reading bell performance tuning its been an

> awesome source of info

Having a kit made wrong out of the box doesnt say anything to you regarding quality, regardless of casting cleanliness?

I have had nothing but good experiences with estoril pipes. Mount them correctly and they last. The people you hear complaining about cracked pipes are people who did not mount them properly. Performance wise theyr'e the best bang for buck. You could of course go with an MLM Cali pipe if you dont mind dropping $300 on a pipe.

You wont be able to set a limiter with the parmakit. For that, youd have to go with a programmable cdi, which are very expensive and not bolt on.

id like to see some picts of the lightened tomos to see how u shaved the weight to 85lbs!. Thats almost as light as the Ciao.

> pat splat Wrote:

> id like to see some picts of the lightened tomos to see how u shaved

> the weight to 85lbs!. Thats almost as light as the Ciao.

I had an a35 step through that weighed about 117lbs wet, and a an a35 top tank that weighs just about 125 if i remember correctly, and my a55 LX tips the scales at about 150lbs with a full tank! so yeah 85lbs is very light. Im also curious how he did it.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Yup, would be interesting, my Puch weighs about 110-120 Pounds right now and my Hercules weighs probably about 130-140.

When I get home I'll try and find a pic on my old phone if it, rite now I have the engine dropped but if I can't find a old pic of it I'll just take a pic without the engine, that weight is with a empty tank but that's only a couple pounds. And I'll try and make a list of everything I did to it to drop the weight

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Tanner Barb Wrote:

> I also like that it Italian in keeping with the bike.

Your bike is Slovenian, not Italian...

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > Tanner Barb Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I also like that it Italian in keeping with the bike.

>

> Your bike is Slovenian, not

Haha yes I'm aware, but they are rite next to each other. More so than getting parts from Mexico

what mods does the parmakit need out of the box? i've built 2 of them and both went right on perfecto.

parmakit is far and away the best tomos 'a35 style' cylinder.

21 phbg/2 petal is a great setup. haven't run a 24 PWK but i've got one in the works now, just to see how it would work. I have one on a 70 pp kit now that runs pretty well but very boggy down low, hopefully the reeds will help with that.

get ready to learn how to reline and tune clutches!

stock A35 cdi with the 'parmakit cdi box' is a good low buck setup. I prefer keeping the stock flywheel vs HPI as the lightweight flywheel just beats up your clutches even worse. I don't think it makes much difference for acceleration but it sure sounds cooler when you rev it up on the stand. you don't really need to 'tune' the cdi much, all two strokes need is a little bit of retard after the pipe hits.

uh what else... MLM pipes are pretty great, be surprised if you make one better than that but if you can more power to ya. Tomos wise the estoril is pretty good top end pipe but not like super duper top end, if you wanna go full blaster stats you gotta go with the MLM or hack up another brand. One of the fastest tomos in the states runs a french pipe so thats something to think about.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> what mods does the parmakit need out of the box? i've built 2 of them

> and both went right on perfecto.

>

> parmakit is far and away the best tomos 'a35 style' cylinder.

>

> 21 phbg/2 petal is a great setup. haven't run a 24 PWK but i've got one

> in the works now, just to see how it would work. I have one on a 70 pp

> kit now that runs pretty well but very boggy down low, hopefully the

> reeds will help with that.

>

> get ready to learn how to reline and tune clutches!

>

> stock A35 cdi with the 'parmakit cdi box' is a good low buck setup. I

> prefer keeping the stock flywheel vs HPI as the lightweight flywheel

> just beats up your clutches even worse. I don't think it makes much

> difference for acceleration but it sure sounds cooler when you rev it up

> on the stand. you don't really need to 'tune' the cdi much, all two

> strokes need is a little bit of retard after the pipe hits.

>

> uh what else... MLM pipes are pretty great, be surprised if you make one

> better than that but if you can more power to ya. Tomos wise the

> estoril is pretty good top end pipe but not like super duper top end, if

> you wanna go full blaster stats you gotta go with the MLM or hack up

> another brand. One of the fastest tomos in the states runs a french

> pipe so thats something to think about.

I could have sworn i had read about them having improper deck height, needing countersunk heads and/or spacing? Wrong piston too?

Maybe i'm mistaken.

I really should double check my facts when making recommendations though

EDIT: That was the puch athena AJH i was thinking of...whoops. I had just re read the long thread last week.(edited)

athena/AJH/ dos/77 / DMP clones are all wackadoo

Dirty30 Dillon /

24 PWK is a lot of carb for a ~45mm bore, not undoable tho.

I have always had the best luck tuning a performance-oriented bike with like a carb that's been 42-46% of the bore. This is including a decent ppipe in each situation.

If you're looking for the best, parma is not that. The absolute best kit on a tomos is the puch polini with a 4 petal reed block.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Out of the box maybe...

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account